Enclosures Woodworking & fiberglassing

User Tag List

Old 01-10-2011   #1 (permalink)
0 dB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
stlnbkeco is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...
Default Port tube transmission line?

Has anybody built a 1/4 wavelength t-line using port tubes instead of a wooden port path inside the box? I cant fit a regular t-line in the trunk of my car and have been looking at ways of getting it to fit into a smaller area. I've done the math and i would need 6 4" ports to get the 75in2 of constant port area i would need, however im unsure the design would even work as intended. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jesse
stlnbkeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #2 (permalink)
Shake & Bake!

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
perfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default Re: Port tube transmission line?

i wouldnt recommend doing it that way, it would have quite a bit more port surface area inside the ports that the air is touching which isnt a good thing, also you still need the same cubic feet, cant see how you could get it into a smaller area when its the same size

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
perfect_prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #3 (permalink)
140 dB

RyanM923 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!RyanM923 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!RyanM923 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!RyanM923 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!RyanM923 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

I'm confused on how you're going to do a tl with four ports. What you need is one big tube, otherwise it's not a tl, just a ported box tuned low. Ideally there's no chamber in a tl.

email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RyanM923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #4 (permalink)
0 dB

stlnbkeco is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...

Yeah i was just kind of brainstorming with this post hoping someone would say yay or nay. This pretty much confirmed what i thought, figured i'd check with those much more knowledgeable than myself.
stlnbkeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #5 (permalink)
150 dB

dustin420 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!dustin420 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!dustin420 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!dustin420 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

The KatKit: An experiment in Transmission Line Portability - diyAudio mean something like this?

dustin420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #6 (permalink)
Shake & Bake!

perfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

i think he was more thinking something along the lines of el pipo the original only with multiple tubes rather than a single tube. you could do a chamber with multiple tubes attached to it as long as you keep the chamber in line with the sd of the sub/subs and make sure it flows well into the multiple pipes which have a combined sd the same as the chamber. accurately measuring length will be a pita but vehicle acoustics should compensate for a few inches.

although i still think there would be an easier way to do it especially for a single 10 a simple folded t-line should be able to fit anywhere multiple tubes would fit.

Old 01-10-2011   #7 (permalink)
160 dB

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Just a slightly off topic but related question: Does the amount of turns in a port affect pressure in the enclosure? I'm led (from what I've read) to believe the pressure in an enclosure has an effect on the subs performance and the ability of the motor to control the cone.
I ask because I relate the physics of a box to other mechanical/aerodynamical/whatever applications. For instance, a 90 degree bend in an exhaust system creates the equivalent back pressure to the engine as another 18 feet of straight exhaust would create (I think its 18 feet, but you get my drift).

Warning: I will more than likely offend you.

666WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011   #8 (permalink)
Shake & Bake!

the best port is straight with no turns, the more turns the less effective but it all depends on the application. i dont think it comes out to be a single 90 turn is equal to 18 feet of straight but who knows ive been wrong plenty of times before

Old 01-10-2011   #9 (permalink)
160 dB

666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

It might have been 9 feet in an exhaust, I cant remember. Was years ago when an apprentice mechanic told me what he'd learnt in class that day.

Why do more turns make a port less effective? I've seen prefab boxes that switch back 4-5 times. Would they suck?

Old 01-10-2011   #10 (permalink)
Shake & Bake!

turning the airflow causes resistance, you dont want resistance in a port, the length of the port and the spring in the air should be the only resistance, this is why people use aero ports so often, round is the best shape as it has the lowest sq inches of surface area of port wall touching the air flowing through it causing resistance, and the flared aids in air flow.

Old 01-10-2011   #11 (permalink)
160 dB

Thanks, I understand that. Good to know for future reference

Old 01-10-2011   #12 (permalink)
160 dB

Kryptonitewhite has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Kryptonitewhite has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Kryptonitewhite has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Kryptonitewhite has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Kryptonitewhite has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Kryptonitewhite has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Kryptonitewhite has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Kryptonitewhite has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Kryptonitewhite has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanM923 View Post
I'm confused on how you're going to do a tl with four ports. What you need is one big tube, otherwise it's not a tl, just a ported box tuned low. Ideally there's no chamber in a tl.
I agree, I have no idea how separating a "TL" into four separate tubes would act. When you go from a single port in a vented alignment to multiple smaller ports of the same total port area, it does not act the same. TLs and horns are completely different, they are not ports, but I really do not know. I have seen lots of horns with bracing down the center though, lots of horns have an X at the mouth dividing it into four sections...in that case, whats the difference?

Kryptonitewhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Enclosures