Enclosures Woodworking & fiberglassing

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2012   #1 (permalink)
120 dB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Jcarp is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...
Default Ported box build for 12" pair (2012) Alpine type r's

I just wanted to double check what I have to make sure I'm going in the right direction. After searching the web for days on what specs to Build the box to I have determined that the Alpines like around 2.25 sq ft air space each and 6" port tuned to my liking 30-38 hz range. The box I have is 43.5 wide x 16 tall x 16 deep. It is in the back of a bagged 2 dr Tahoe and with the bag set up this is all the space i have to work with. Subs have separate chambers so internal is 20.5 wide x 14.5 tall x 14.5 deep. I have the subs firing up and the 6" port coming from the side and running into the box 17.75 inches and total length of port is 18.5 inches. I'm going off calculations from what I've read on numerous forums and also online calculations. Just wanted to make surethat this was optimum for the type r's. I listen to all types of music and I'm looking for something loud, deep and bass you can feel. Nothing sloppy and still musical. Please let me know what u think. I will soon be covering the box and finishing the rear interior build that will all be adjacent and connected to genus box so it's important I get it right before I start building the interior around the box.
Jcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #2 (permalink)
120 dB

Default Re: Ported box build for 12" pair (2012) Alpine type r's

Amp I am running is a hifonics Brutus 2400 subs wired at 1 ohm
Old 09-04-2012   #3 (permalink)
150 dB

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
KingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Gross volume for each chamber is 2.494 cu ft
If port is a 6" port that 18.5 long from the side:
Port area is 28.26 cu in (on the large side but ok)
Port tuning is around 41hz (On the high side, will be loud but not as low)
Net volume is about 1.96 cu ft if you add .2 cu ft for sub displacement (not sure if there is any bracing).
KingPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #4 (permalink)
160 dB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
cxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

You have to tune those lower. Type rs get peaky, especially with a tune like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cxa0897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012   #5 (permalink)
120 dB

Subs are .071 each. Should I go with 4" aero port in each at 12.5" long. Thats what I was going for but looked online and most people said it wasn't enough port area.
Old 09-04-2012   #6 (permalink)
120 dB

Thought about inverting the subs and making a 90 degree on the 6" giving a total of 25" of port if that would help or just go with the 4"
Old 09-04-2012   #7 (permalink)
150 dB

KingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

My bad on the sub displacement. Then your at about 2.1 net tuned to 38hz
Old 09-04-2012   #8 (permalink)
120 dB

Is 38 hz bad with these and will inverting help at all or should I just go with 4" ports so I can tune to 32 hz?
Old 09-04-2012   #9 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarp View Post
Subs are .071 each. Should I go with 4" aero port in each at 12.5" long. Thats what I was going for but looked online and most people said it wasn't enough port area.
4" is to small. stick with a 6" or Build a box with a slot port.

Quote:
Thought about inverting the subs and making a 90 degree on the 6" giving a total of 25" of port if that would help or just go with the 4"
The 90 is a good idea either way because your pretty close to that back wall. I would guess that would add about 3" to your port length bringing you down to around 35.7 for tunning and net space would be 2.06 ft. Wouldn't be terrible.

You could go a little lower in the tuning but you would need a little taller box by 2-3 inches I would guess
Old 09-04-2012   #10 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Is 38 hz bad with these and will inverting help at all or should I just go with 4" ports so I can tune to 32 hz?
Inverting wont hurt but it wont help either. Would only drop the tuning like half a hz. I personally don't like it, I can hear mechanical noise from almost every sub I've done it to. Others say they dont here it.

38hz isn't bad or good. Its about listening preference. It will go boom but with peaky subs you will find it booms louder close to its tuning and not so much on the lower end 28-34hz stuff. That will sound more hollow. If you get tuning down there it will be more even across the frequency range.
Old 09-04-2012   #11 (permalink)
150 dB

If I were building the box for you I would go 1.5 inches taller or 1.5 deeper and use a 26" long 6" aero port. That puts you at 2.21 net and tuned to 33.67hz. I think you would be very happy there.

And personally I would do port back but that's just my preference
Old 09-04-2012   #12 (permalink)
120 dB

Thanks for the help. I def want to get closer to 32 herts as I can with the box before I Build another. It's roughly 3 inches away from the wall right now. I plan to cut it back a little and put a 90 on it that is hard against the divider and make the total port 25" long that will keep it 3" off the back wall. Will this work or should i rebuild bigger? I can go 4" wider and 2" taller if needed. If I do this how long should the port be?
Old 09-04-2012   #13 (permalink)
120 dB

Well if I made it a one chamber box instead of the current 2 chamber set up and added bracing, what would the port lengths need to be?
Old 09-04-2012   #14 (permalink)
120 dB

I've decided to build a new box with the usualbe area that I have. Due to the tubs I can't go wider but I can go .75 deeper and 2.25 taller. With a 25" port and 2.55 sq ft after sub and port I will be right at 32 hz.
Old 09-04-2012   #15 (permalink)
150 dB

First, note I'm not saying 2.25 per sub is whats best or that 32hz tuning is best just giving you measurements that will get you close to what your looking for.

Hmm... If max box size is 16.75 tall, 43.5 wide, and 15.25 deep

Using 2 6" ports I CANT get you 4.5 cu ft and 32 hz tuning.

Closest option would be using (4) 4" ports at 26" which would net you 4 cubs tuned to 32.6 hz... That would probably work ok.

If you had some more room to give up I could probably do it with 6" ports at 4.5 net and 32hz.
Old 09-04-2012   #16 (permalink)
150 dB

I lied, 1 8" port would be better than (4) 4"
Old 09-04-2012   #17 (permalink)
120 dB

Internal would be 17" tall x 15.25 deep x 20.625 wide per chamber. If the port came in at the top corner and ran to the divider then 90'd down I can get 26" of port length. Total external box size using 3/4 mdf will be 18.5 tall x 16.75 deep x 43.5 wide.
Old 09-04-2012   #18 (permalink)
120 dB

Now would this box be both loud and deep?
Old 09-04-2012   #19 (permalink)
120 dB

Well being how the sub is 2" from the front and back wall I would have to mount the port at the bottom of the box and run up the divider. Starting to think a slot port may be easier lol
Old 09-04-2012   #20 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Internal would be 17" tall x 15.25 deep x 20.625 wide per chamber. If the port came in at the top corner and ran to the divider then 90'd down I can get 26" of port length. Total external box size using 3/4 mdf will be 18.5 tall x 16.75 deep x 43.5 wide.
My calculations on those measurements put you at 2.55 net per sub and 31.35hz.

If you did internal of 20.625 wide, 14 deep, 17 tall that would give you 2.84 gross and with a 26" 6" port you would be at 2.3 net tuned to 33 hz. If you could get that port 28" long you would be at 32.18hz in 2.27 net each. You may have to to in from the corner like you said then down then another 90 or 180 back up to get that long though. Would look cool on the inside. You know your port can come out of the box too which can make a huge difference.

Quote:
Now would this box be both loud and deep?
That I can't tell you. To many other factors to say for sure how its going to sound.
Old 09-04-2012   #21 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Well being how the sub is 2" from the front and back wall I would have to mount the port at the bottom of the box and run up the divider. Starting to think a slot port may be easier lol
Y dont you give me the max outside dimensions you can use and tell me anywhere that the port cant be and I'll come up with something
Old 09-04-2012   #22 (permalink)
120 dB

What would be the best slot port design with the given space? Internal can I go 1 chamber with 15 tall x 15.25 deep x 42 wide. Slot port facing back 2" tall x 12" wide x 12" deep. Would this work better?
Old 09-04-2012   #23 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
What would be the best slot port design with the given space? Internal can I go 1 chamber with 15 tall x 15.25 deep x 42 wide. Slot port facing back 2" tall x 12" wide x 12" deep. Would this work better?
I dont have a preference either way but slot does require more port area and in turn more space. Your port will need to have some room on the other side of it so keep that in mind. By that I mean if you can only go 15.25 deep because there is a hatch in your way you probably cant fire the port back. It would need 3 or more inches of room between opening of the box and the wall.

What are your max external for the whole box?
Old 09-04-2012   #24 (permalink)
120 dB

I can go external 18 tall x 16.75 deep x 43.5 wide. Prefer to stay 16 tall if possible but can give up 2" if needed. Subs firing up to the roof and port back or to the side if it needs to run longer due to the longer width compared to the depth.
Old 09-04-2012   #25 (permalink)
120 dB

With this set up the back of the box will be about 3" off of the back glass of the Tahoe.

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Enclosures