General Car Audio & SPL Discussion B B B B BASS!!!!

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2012   #1 (permalink)
120 dB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Duncanbullet is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...
Default Sundown Audio E15" Subwoofer SPL

Alright guys, Im new here, some of you saw my introduction,
if you didnt then ill tell you guys my goal..

My brother has a single 15" kicker comp in a Ported box with a kenwood 1000w, in his 1999 honda civic, To me, this thing is AWESOME, blows my shirt and hair around.

So my Goal is to destroy his system with mine.

I was thinking of something from Sundown Audio, But i probably cant afford an SA so i looked at the E series and found that i liked the sa-e15 sub.

I dont really have a goal dB wise, (mainly because i dont know how loud certain decibels are) but i know i do want hair moving and close flapping, and chest vibrating. lol. so i guess i could say 120-140.

Im on a 200, dollar budget for box and sub...

Im also looking an a 1000w amp, maybe Hifonics, not something too powerful because i dont have the extra money for an alternator and battery.

I have a 2002 Grand prix GT, the trunk is really big. Enough to fix 4 10" subs in 2 separate Enclosures (little experiment i had with my brothers old system) and there is still wiggle room.

The exact demotions of the trunk are
16 cu.ft. (i think)
45" long
47" wide
19 1/2" Tall

so i think this is pretty good for a SPL box,

so can you guys guide me in the right direction? kinda give me some advice???
Duncanbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #2 (permalink)
130 dB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!
Default Re: Sundown Audio E15" Subwoofer SPL

If you limited on money then you probably want a music box not an SPL box. SPl boxes are tuned higher and don't sound great. And the e series are pretty good subs. For 200 box and sub I don't think you could do much better
SAZ-1500 V1
Pos & Neg FA 2/0
SSA Gcon 12 in 3 cubes at 29Hz

Quote:
Ni I'm trying to get him arrested for theft cause that much moofer for that price is an out right steal
Squeezumz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #3 (permalink)
160 dB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
cxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

1. a kicker comp shouldnt be blowing shirts and hair around.

2. good call on a sundown product

3. hair moving and shirt flapping is probably not happening, especially a trunk car

4. a hifonics brz 1200 is a great budget amp which you can pick up down the road, as long as you give it decent voltage (read: 0 gauge Power wire, set gains correct, battery and alt in good shape) it should easily do what you require.

5. The trunk opening is the limiting factor for enclosure size. Even though you may have the room for a large box, you won't be able to get it into the trunk. A simple ported box in the ~3.5 cubes region will likely be the only thing you'll fit, without building the box inside the car, which is a major pita.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cxa0897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #4 (permalink)
120 dB

My opening is really big, around 35 inches.

so would it be better to Build a box and tune it to a frequency that will sound really good with that sub? or just buy a premade one?
Old 09-19-2012   #5 (permalink)
160 dB

cxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

premade = trash

build one yourself, we(I) can easily design one that will be a great daily box

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2012   #6 (permalink)
120 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxa0897 View Post
premade = trash

build one yourself, we(I) can easily design one that will be a great daily box
Really? Thatd be GREAT!
i have no experience building boxes, but i have a shop with plenty of tools to Build it with and lots of experience in wood work. so i probably could built it myself with the right instructions!

Does daily boxes have a certain tuned hz for them?
Old 09-19-2012   #7 (permalink)
I shake the earth from down under.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncanbullet View Post
Really? Thatd be GREAT!
i have no experience building boxes, but i have a shop with plenty of tools to build it with and lots of experience in wood work. so i probably could built it myself with the right instructions!

Does daily boxes have a certain tuned hz for them?
the tune will depend on the music you listen to and the way you want it to sound

a tune in the lower 30s sould play down into the 20s while still slamming the 40s and up where most of the bass is in rock or techno. rap and dubstep are the only songs i really ever see getting below 30 hz
2.2 koobz tuned to 28

I gotz dem slowzzz
49konvict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #8 (permalink)
140 dB

Lac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

I'm thinking his seats fold down, a single E-15 ported in around 3.5 cubes tuned to 33hz firing forward should be able to move some ish around.... Maybe not any kind of tricks but still plenty loud.
Lac.wit.bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #9 (permalink)
150 dB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Let me know how you like the 15 when you get it in... I've got the 12 and its absolutely insane... I finally got a real tune and this thing can move... Can't wait to eventually build a ported setup for it... might try a 4th order... sig for details

Using 50 hz -2 db to set the gain (its what I had on hand):

Clamped 301 W RMS at 6 ohms

All using a Oscope

Last edited by Beckerson1; 09-19-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #10 (permalink)
150 dB

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
KingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

From what I recal those trunks were pretty big, not 16 cubes but but still big.

The first thing I would do is measure out how big of a box you want (or can use) and make it out of cardboard then try to get it in your car. This may seem like a PITA but I cant tell you how many times I've seen a tape measure lie and the box just wont go in.... After you do this you will know how much you can work with. You might (if your really lucky)have enough room to do an 18 which would give more cone area and potential to be louder and move more air.

With that said I dont know that I would run 1K on an E sub. Seems to be really pushing it but as you said the SA's are a little more pricey

Prices with shipping are something like $130 for an E15 and $235 for an SA15. If your planning to run 1K to it I highly recommend saving your pennies till you have the money for the SA....OR.... another brand I would recommend is Obsidian Audio. There 15 shipped is around $180 (to my home) and will take the 1k. I think that extra $50 would be well worth it IMO. Or if an 18 could fit like i mentioned above then do there 18 which is like $215 shipped. I know those are going over your budget a little but I think the return for the extra money would be well worth it if you could save for a little longer.
KingPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #11 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarver1112 View Post
From what I recal those trunks were pretty big, not 16 cubes but but still big.

The first thing I would do is measure out how big of a box you want (or can use) and make it out of cardboard then try to get it in your car. This may seem like a PITA but I cant tell you how many times I've seen a tape measure lie and the box just wont go in.... After you do this you will know how much you can work with. You might (if your really lucky)have enough room to do an 18 which would give more cone area and potential to be louder and move more air.

With that said I dont know that I would run 1K on an E sub. Seems to be really pushing it but as you said the SA's are a little more pricey

Prices with shipping are something like $130 for an E15 and $235 for an SA15. If your planning to run 1K to it I highly recommend saving your pennies till you have the money for the SA....OR.... another brand I would recommend is Obsidian Audio. There 15 shipped is around $180 (to my home) and will take the 1k. I think that extra $50 would be well worth it IMO. Or if an 18 could fit like i mentioned above then do there 18 which is like $215 shipped. I know those are going over your budget a little but I think the return for the extra money would be well worth it if you could save for a little longer.
I agree I really don't think the E will do 1K but can get close... I can see 800W RMS but 1K is really pushing it... Its definitely a 140 sub as long as the box is tuned right, etc... The SA on the other hand will take the 1K easy as long as its clean power...

Old 09-19-2012   #12 (permalink)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Fallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

The grandprix that I put a box in had a large trunk, but actually getting a box into that space was an issue. So while you may have 47" wide, you probably won't be able to get anything wider than 36" into the trunk. Anyways you still have plenty of room for a single 15.

The $200 budget is kinda brutal, you should save up and get something good.

If you're not dead set on 15s, there are 12s out there in your budget:
TC Sounds Epic 12" DVC Subwoofer 293-650

GCON-12 Sound Solutions Audio 12" 750W GCON Series Subwoofer - SSA STORE

Sundown Audio SA-12 600 watt sub woofer
HEre's a 15 in your budget:
SSA Store - SKAR Audio VVX Sub woofer

You could also check out the classifieds here, subs go up for sale all the time.
Sub amp: Hifonics BXi1606
Speakers: Stock Infinity
Subwoofers: 2 Sundown SA-8V2
Enclosure: Tapped Horn
Wire:2/0 welding cable

RIP Krypto, you'll be missed.
Quote:

although all post should have "Fallen verbage" and an english translation to qualify for rep
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012   #13 (permalink)
160 dB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
SINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

I think some vvme 12s on a 1200 might get decently loud. The money he saved could go to 0 gauge and fusing.
SINTORMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #14 (permalink)
130 dB

wlogg is still in the green - This is good

I say save and go with either the oa 18" sa-15 or go hard and kill'em with a 15" ascendant audio sub any series their will punish that crap kicker sub just check their rms ratings so you won't get out there too far
wlogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #15 (permalink)
120 dB

Well money is short right now so ill probably end up gettin the e15, and a good amp to push it. Im not wanting to kill. Just something that will get me competitive. and run my brothers system into the dirt.

So right now im looking at
sundown audio e15
hifonics 1000w amp
Custom ported enlcosure

130+ dB?

Could somebody draw up a design for a daily box for this?
i wast thinking between 34-42hz.

HU: Stock
Tweets: Morel Hybrid Tweeters (they were given to me)
Mids: Massive Audio M57C
Subs: Sundown Audio SA-15
Amp: Massive Audio N3
Wire: 1/0 AWG
RCA: Monster GOLD-Pro RCA
Old 09-28-2012   #16 (permalink)
140 dB

Brian10962001 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Brian10962001 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Brian10962001 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Brian10962001 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Brian10962001 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Brian10962001 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Brian10962001 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Brian10962001 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Brian10962001 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINTORMAN View Post
I think some vvme 12s on a 1200 might get decently loud. The money he saved could go to 0 gauge and fusing.
That's good thinking. Those drivers seem pretty tough and he can spend the extra he saves getting a nice box built.

I highly second the Hifonics BRZ1200.

I recommend getting a GOOD OFC wiring kit. 4 Gauge will support the BRZ and make for a very simple install.

You're going to want two twelves, one fifteen minimum (trust me I was your age once too ).

Also I hate to tell you this man, but Kicker is the heel around here. That doesn't mean that any 15 from one of these more niche manufacturers is going to outdo it. Spend wisely
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #17 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncanbullet View Post
Well money is short right now so ill probably end up gettin the e15, and a good amp to push it. Im not wanting to kill. Just something that will get me competitive. and run my brothers system into the dirt.

So right now im looking at
sundown audio e15
hifonics 1000w amp
Custom ported enlcosure

130+ dB?

Could somebody draw up a design for a daily box for this?
i wast thinking between 34-42hz.

Good lord yes 130+... I'm running the E12 sealed and with cabin gain I'm up to 135.9 db...

Depending on power and cabin gain you should see 140ish ported...

Don't know much about ported designs and tuning but IIRC for daily you would tune it somewhere in this range: 32-35 hz... but I can be wrong

Old 09-28-2012   #18 (permalink)
120 dB

CodyXterra has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersCodyXterra has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

Right now I'm running a single E 15 ported on 150w(for now) in an suv, and its decently loud for the little amount of power. I'm getting some decent door and roof flex. Just wondering which hifonics amp are you looking at? Sundown"s stuff is underated, but I wouldnt run 1000w on an E series and expect it to last long.
CodyXterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012   #19 (permalink)
120 dB

CHANGE OF PLANS!!!
Dad is giving me some extra money to go ahead and get the SA-15.
HECK YEAH!!
so what do i expect from this??
Will i get hair moving then??

Old 09-28-2012   #20 (permalink)
150 dB

KingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Moving hair is one of those thing that's more for show than practical. Do do something like a hair trick requires cone area and power, the more the better. I've seen small ones done on a single 15 and a pair of 12s but both of those guys had huge boxes with lots of port area and tuned super low. Sadly with most subs including the sa you sacrifice peak output the lower you tune. It's a give and take thing really. On 1k that 15 will be loud. Sould be a bit louder than that comp of your brothers if done right and will have much better sq to boot. So let's get started on box designs. What is your goal(s), what type of music, what is most important to you on this build and what space do you have to work with?
Old 09-28-2012   #21 (permalink)
120 dB

Quote:
Moving hair is one of those thing that's more for show than practical. Do do something like a hair trick requires cone area and power, the more the better. I've seen small ones done on a single 15 and a pair of 12s but both of those guys had huge boxes with lots of port area and tuned super low. Sadly with most subs including the sa you sacrifice peak output the lower you tune. It's a give and take thing really. On 1k that 15 will be loud. Sould be a bit louder than that comp of your brothers if done right and will have much better sq to boot. So let's get started on box designs. What is your goal(s), what type of music, what is most important to you on this build and what space do you have to work with?
My goal right now is 130-140 db.
a little bit of window roof flex.
and lots and lots of vibration in my seats.

my dementions are 40x40x30
its a 2002 grand prix gt.

so i got a pretty good trunk space for a car.

Old 09-28-2012   #22 (permalink)
150 dB

What kind of music do u listen to? Those measurements sound like the whole trunk. What can you fit through the trunk door? Do u want slot or aero ports? How do you feel about walling off the trunk from the rest of the car so that sub and port would be forward?
Old 09-28-2012   #23 (permalink)
120 dB

Quote:
What kind of music do u listen to? Those measurements sound like the whole trunk. What can you fit through the trunk door? Do u want slot or aero ports? How do you feel about walling off the trunk from the rest of the car so that sub and port would be forward?
I think my opening is around 20tall by 50 wide

I mostly listen to rap, dubstep. but i like rock and country too.

And i dont know about walling off my trunk. I think an enclosure would be better.
and thats if by walling you mean sealing my trunk and and taking out the back seats and turning my trunk into one huge box.

Old 09-28-2012   #24 (permalink)
160 dB

It's not 50 wide.

Trunk wall means putting the subs facing forward and having a panel that seals the trunk off from the cabin. No need to take seats out, just fold em down

Old 09-28-2012   #25 (permalink)
150 dB

By walling the trunk I mean sealing the trunk off from the cabin area so that air from the trunk can't pass into the cabin and likewise sound from inside the cabin back into the trunk. You don't hive up any space inside your car or anything like that. The other option is to build a box that leaves enough room for the sound to pass from inside the trunk into the car. The trunk wall is normally louder but some cars are able to fold the back seat down allowing for long object to go from inside the trunk into the cab area.

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » General Car Audio & SPL Discussion