How long should install take? - Realm of Excursion

General Car Audio & SPL Discussion B B B B BASS!!!!

Old 04-21-2013   #1 (permalink)
0 dB

NightScreams is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...
Default How long should install take?

Do you guys completely remove all interior and panels when just running wires and installing amp or do you fish tape most of it?

Doing my own as always but this is my second install in a modern Car and it's just so freaking slow. Back when I was young I always had old V8 cars and it was a cinch and never got back into car audio until 2007.

So now I have a brand new Honda Fit and just trying to remove lower panels using plastic panel tools so I don't scratch them. Already broke a few tabs.
Everything is so tight there is no room for anything, a couple hours or so just to get power wires through firewall where I could finally grab it as the engine compartment is so tiny and cramped I can't get my hand anywhere.
I didn't remove the carpet, just took out seat and lower panels then pulled up enough to fish tape it along the way trying to keep as much space from power and RCA's as possible. Rear panel was ridiculous to pry off

Most of yesterday afternoon and been on it since 9 am. I just now finally got all my wires to the trunk where I'll put the amp and i'm sore as hell from all the awkward positions, chunk of skin missing from finger and pretty tired.
I still have to get speakers in doors, sound deaden them, find someplace to put the crossover and do some modding on rear panel for amp install, then put it all back together. Not sure i'll make it.

Is this typical or am I doing it the hard way? Some of that time was spent just figuring out where I could even get all these wires in at, everything is just too cramped and i'm pretty skinny.
NightScreams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013   #2 (permalink)
150 dB

KingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default Re: How long should install take?

Some of it is typical some of it your doing the hard way. Here's some general thoughts.

1. when running the power wire though the fire wall its often easier to just drill a new hole, put in a grommet and call it a day. But there is still no room under the hood lol.
2. When running things like rca's from the back of the head unit you will find that in most cars you can remove the glove box pretty easily, and just reach around and pull them over to the side then down to the kick panel.
3. you can remove the panels along the edges and run the wire though them from front to back or just take the seats out of one side (4 bolts per seat) and pull the carpet up and un it under the carpet. The latter can save time is many cars.
4. You understand why I don't do installs on the cheap .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KingPen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013   #3 (permalink)
140 dB

98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

The plastic panels is just a matter of practice really. Usually there are a few tutorials online on how to properly take apart your interior without damaging anything. Before I take apart a car I read everything I can about it before I start, so I know what to expect. But no matter what, you will always run into SOME problem and get some chunks of skin ripped off I am always sore after a day of running wires. Doing car audio the right way is a lot of work, but it is worth it in the end.
98Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013   #4 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightScreams View Post
Do you guys completely remove all interior and panels when just running wires and installing amp or do you fish tape most of it?

Doing my own as always but this is my second install in a modern car and it's just so freaking slow. Back when I was young I always had old V8 cars and it was a cinch and never got back into car audio until 2007.

So now I have a brand new Honda Fit and just trying to remove lower panels using plastic panel tools so I don't scratch them. Already broke a few tabs.
Everything is so tight there is no room for anything, a couple hours or so just to get power wires through firewall where I could finally grab it as the engine compartment is so tiny and cramped I can't get my hand anywhere.
I didn't remove the carpet, just took out seat and lower panels then pulled up enough to fish tape it along the way trying to keep as much space from power and RCA's as possible. Rear panel was ridiculous to pry off

Most of yesterday afternoon and been on it since 9 am. I just now finally got all my wires to the trunk where I'll put the amp and i'm sore as hell from all the awkward positions, chunk of skin missing from finger and pretty tired.
I still have to get speakers in doors, sound deaden them, find someplace to put the crossover and do some modding on rear panel for amp install, then put it all back together. Not sure i'll make it.

Is this typical or am I doing it the hard way? Some of that time was spent just figuring out where I could even get all these wires in at, everything is just too cramped and i'm pretty skinny.

Man I know your pain... Is it normal, well my (98Civic) first time took forever (literally 8+ hours to do big 3 upgrade and power wire run). I don't have a Fit but do have a Civic and feel your pain. After some contorting, etc things fit together.

I will be upgrading my electrical (need to support 5K. Once I get to the actual build, ya I'm working on foundation, I hope to get Kingpen involved some seeing he's somewhat local) over then next 3 years or so. Will be running 3/0 (most likely under the car) and don't really look forward to it. Probably a positive and negative run (negative grounded to alt. Not running any front battery, intake took that space)

Kingpen hit pretty good on some simple cuts you can do to make things a little quicker. Do it right the first time. I've changed my layout so many times (its ridiculous this hobby) I can get the interior out in less then 5 min (coupe. That being seats, panels, rear panels, etc).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013   #5 (permalink)
150 dB

KingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Civic View Post
The plastic panels is just a matter of practice really. Usually there are a few tutorials online on how to properly take apart your interior without damaging anything. Before I take apart a car I read everything I can about it before I start, so I know what to expect. But no matter what, you will always run into SOME problem and get some chunks of skin ripped off I am always sore after a day of running wires. Doing car audio the right way is a lot of work, but it is worth it in the end.
^^^ this right here. But don't think that hard work means it has to suck. I love working on my car or working with the other team members on their cars. Just relax, take it slow, drink a beer or two (not to many tho), and enjoy learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckerson1 View Post
Man I know your pain... Is it normal, well my (98Civic) first time took forever (literally 8+ hours to do big 3 upgrade and power wire run). I don't have a Fit but do have a Civic and feel your pain. After some contorting, etc things fit together.

I will be upgrading my electrical (need to support 5K. Once I get to the actual build, ya I'm working on foundation, I hope to get Kingpen involved some seeing he's somewhat local) over then next 3 years or so. Will be running 3/0 (most likely under the car) and don't really look forward to it. Probably a positive and negative run (negative grounded to alt. Not running any front battery, intake took that space)

Kingpen hit pretty good on some simple cuts you can do to make things a little quicker. Do it right the first time. I've changed my layout so many times (its ridiculous this hobby) I can get the interior out in less then 5 min (coupe. That being seats, panels, rear panels, etc).
^^^ this too. Once you get the hang of things and know what tools to use and when, and you get to know a car you can move things along very quickly. A couple more examples of time spent. I did a negative run under a truck the other day. Took me a solid 2 hours to run it and connect everything. It was a tricky run to do and I didn't have a lift so I spent a lot of time crawling around getting rust in my eyes, hitting my head and busting my hands. Not exactly the best way to spend 2 hours (no beer believe it or not lol). After that we went out for some grub and came back. It was dark but I decided to continue doing a bit more work. Couldn't find my shop light so I went inside and grabbed a small led flash light. I basically did the big 3 at 10PM at night with nothing more then an led falshlight and it only took me 20 min or so. I'm really no better at this then anyone else but I've done so many of them that it comes natural. I just pull the wire, cut, crimp and attach... next wire.

Happy to help btw beckerson. Not real local but if you want to make the trip I am just as good as anyone at plugging stuff in

KingPen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013   #6 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPen View Post
^^^ this right here. But don't think that hard work means it has to suck. I love working on my car or working with the other team members on their cars. Just relax, take it slow, drink a beer or two (not to many tho), and enjoy learning.

^^^ this too. Once you get the hang of things and know what tools to use and when, and you get to know a car you can move things along very quickly. A couple more examples of time spent. I did a negative run under a truck the other day. Took me a solid 2 hours to run it and connect everything. It was a tricky run to do and I didn't have a lift so I spent a lot of time crawling around getting rust in my eyes, hitting my head and busting my hands. Not exactly the best way to spend 2 hours (no beer believe it or not lol). After that we went out for some grub and came back. It was dark but I decided to continue doing a bit more work. Couldn't find my shop light so I went inside and grabbed a small led flash light. I basically did the big 3 at 10PM at night with nothing more then an led falshlight and it only took me 20 min or so. I'm really no better at this then anyone else but I've done so many of them that it comes natural. I just pull the wire, cut, crimp and attach... next wire.

Happy to help btw beckerson. Not real local but if you want to make the trip I am just as good as anyone at plugging stuff in
LOL. About 3.5 hours or so. Hopefully most if not all the stuff can get done over the forum. Mainly it would be box design/layout, product selection, etc. You know typical pre-construction stuff. 98Civic and I can and do work wonders together.

Thread if you haven't seen it:

http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/ge...ggestions.html

Sorry OP for jacking the thread

Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013   #7 (permalink)
130 dB

CRYPTICgamer88 is still in the green - This is good

umm if you look at my pics from the batt relocation i make the jeep look like that everytime i need to run wire.. even for one piece... i just like to hide and tuck wire and follow the original wire looms to not get a bulg... takes about 3-4 hours to get it to that point without damaging anything... its not like a shop where they take into account install time and beeing cost effective.. i say strip that bish.... also taking your time makes less chances of pinching a wire... since it is all hidden and away.. my .02 cents

edit... running wires in small compact cars is a pita no f**ing space... you gotta be a contortionist just to get something threw lol... i know it adds time to strip entire car but the impact on simplicity that it adds to run wire after its a gutted is well worth the effort if you have time and knowledge to do so...
1 15 phantom soundz 15 on a saz-1500v3 @ 1 ohm
Enclosure still in the design stages but around 7 cubes
Pioneer Primier DEH-P860MP (2004 model)
XS Power D3400 on All Knukonceptz 1/0
Battery relocation to the rear..

CRYPTICgamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013   #8 (permalink)
0 dB

NightScreams is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...

All I got done since I posted was I finished my amp rack and did some cutting on the rear hatch panel, so once it's in place, the amp is recessed in, I may add plexi glass in front of it and tint it to hide from prying eyes, maybe LED inside but no one else will see it so not sure if I should bother. I didn't get to do my rack completely as planned, there was no room to add a bottom steel support beam, but testing, amp is very firmly in place with just 2 top bolts, I shook it hard and no budge. Used a thick L shaped steel, broke 2 drill bits on it.

Time flew by, I barely ate anything, but looks like another weekend should do it. I'm so sore, can barely walk. Get to go work construction tomorrow, loading up on asperin berfore I do.
NightScreams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013   #9 (permalink)
150 dB

southerntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

if you're doing it by yourself and you're doing everything right it can take you quite a while to do it don't worry about how long it takes man just make sure to make it the way you want
Head Unit Pioneer DEH8300SD
Singer 275 (320 peak) Amp H.O. Alt.
Stinger OFC 0GA Power Wire & 0GA Knu Koncepts Kolassus
SSA dual inputs & terminal Distribution blocks
Big 4 done (OFC)
Extra Stinger Agm Batt. X2 (Three total)
4.5cf. Aeroported Enclosure Tuning:32HZ
southerntrendkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013   #10 (permalink)
140 dB

Slobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersSlobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersSlobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

If you want to do led's do it, who cares if anyone else is going to see it. Remember you are doing it for you, no one pays your car payments or insurance so their opinion should be taken as criticism and is nul and void if it doesn't help you out.
Slobalt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » General Car Audio & SPL Discussion