What makes great music? - Realm of Excursion

Music & Movies & Computers & Gaming Discuss about various entertainment topics.

Old 10-04-2013   #1 (permalink)
160 dB

cxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default What makes great music?

So, I've had this question on my mind and have kept forgetting to make this thread. I'm not entirely sure what caused it, but its been one of those things that I always go back to. It's a lot of questions here, but bear with me. I think this could turn into a good discussion.

Basically, what is it that makes music great vs good/bad music? Why do certain songs have a longevity 10x that of others? Why do people say they don't make music like they used to?

Is it a great beat, great riffs, great vocals, delivery, a combination? Does anything out weigh the others?

How does this transfer from one genre to another? Most of us here listen to a variety of music, how does that factor in?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cxa0897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013   #2 (permalink)
140 dB

97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!
Default Re: What makes great music?

good quality equipment....lol
for me...some songs it's the lyrics, some the beat.

radio play and marketing play a large role i think.

good luck on your journey
take care and have fun
97_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013   #3 (permalink)
I shake the earth from down under.

49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Its all the beat for me. The only reason I liike rap is the beat.
49konvict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013   #4 (permalink)
140 dB

Slobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersSlobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersSlobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

That is a good question, for me there are a lot of things that come into play when referring to "good music". For me it can almost be broken down by genre.

Rap, trap, and chopped and screwed needs a good bass line and mids/highs need to complement, the lyrical content of the song doesn't really matter since I don't care how many b*tches you f*ck, your big screens, the rimz on your 20 cars, or the drugs you take.

Hip Hop on the other hand could be beat boxed for all I care, I want to hear the lyrical passion only true MC's can convey.

Country IMO is similar to rap in the effect that I don't care your wife left you, if she wrecked your truck, or which one of your buddies are hanging with you at a bar.

I am also a fan of crooning, swing, opera, rock, blues, and pretty much everything from the 30's til the early 80's.
Slobalt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013   #5 (permalink)
130 dB

ylpkm is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...

I would have to say I determine whether i like the song at first by melody, If it has one or if its a good melody. if it doesnt have one, the bass line or any sub musical "ingredients" needs to catch my ears. (This is clearly not the case with many people, i have learned. I thought melody would be up high on the list, but it seems its not)
ylpkm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013   #6 (permalink)
160 dB

cxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Beats are huge for me, as is delivery. There's hardly an eminem song I don't like. His vocals and delivery are so damn good. I also have this thing with certain pitches on notes. I can pick out a note that is just perfect. I've heard some Mariah Carey songs, usher, jt, and even a chingy song where there was just one note that made the song great. I don't know if I'm that critical of a listener or what, since I do tend to listen to the catchy but mediocre top 40 stuff on the radio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-05-2013   #7 (permalink)
140 dB

98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

I totally agree with ylpkm about the melody. The melody is probably one of the biggest things that makes me like a song. I tend to get tired very quickly of listening to songs that have a very simple and repetitive melody or none at all. I find that the more complicated a song is, the longer I can enjoy listening to it. Extremely simple, repetitive lyrics bugs me more than a simple/repetitive beat or melody. I also tend to like the songs that convey a lot of emotion, which has a lot to do with the singing and lyrics, as well as how the beat and melody flow with the singing. My music is 95% rock from bands such as Stone Sour, RHCP, Seether, Three Days Grace, etc.
98Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013   #8 (permalink)
I shake the earth from down under.

49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

A repetitive song is the worst. My moods change a lot so I find myself listening to wide ranges of music. One day will be clasic rock, the next counrty and the next dubstep.
Hell in one day ill jam led zepplin, flux pavillion, underoath, hank Williams sr, and the verve.

Complexity, rhythm and uniqueness are all traits that a good song should have

Well to me that is.
49konvict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2013   #9 (permalink)
160 dB

Complexity is definitely a good one, didn't think of that.

I am also a big fan of actually using instruments to make music. A solid hip hop or rnb beat that was actually composed is always a nice touch. So much of it today is electronic based, and instrumentals seems to be a dying art.

Old 10-06-2013   #10 (permalink)
Angry old man

Location: Las Vegas,1971-present,someday i'll retire in Idaho
sri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxa0897 View Post

I am also a big fan of actually using instruments to make music. A solid hip hop or rnb beat that was actually composed is always a nice touch..
Could not have said it better myself!!!
Rockford Fosgate PPS4-6 mids
Image Dynamics XS-28 tweets
Hifonics GLX1000.1
2 Sundown E10's with a Pete designed enclosure...

sri3850341 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2013   #11 (permalink)
140 dB

BiggJern has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!BiggJern has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!BiggJern has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!BiggJern has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!BiggJern has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!BiggJern has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

For each genre, go to the roots and see why or how it was started. With rap and hip hop, I'm all about quality. The lyrics has to be good and the beats can't be plain or unoriginal

Realm of Excursion » Lounge » Music & Movies & Computers & Gaming