Hifonics in protect mode help! - Realm of Excursion

The "No Question is Dumb" Forum A forum for people new to mobile audio to ask anything they like, no matter how simple or searchable the answer might be.

Old 05-13-2011   #1 (permalink)
150 dB

tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!
Default Hifonics in protect mode help!

got this amp it was a buety til i went to work and abot 15-20 minutes in went into protect mode 4 hrs later still in protect i have it hooked up to my hfi's at 1 ohm and its 1 ohm stable can anyone help
tony30cl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011   #2 (permalink)
120 dB

z06ers is still in the green - This is good
Default Re: Hifonics in protect mode help!

Check the resistance of the speakers and verify what the voltage is reading at the amp. Protect mode can be caused by subs the are internally shorted, wrong load placed on amp, overheating, and etc. Do you know how to perform a voltage drop test ? If not, I can send you a very informational electrical troubleshooting guide in .pdf format. if you send me your email address.
z06ers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011   #3 (permalink)
130 dB

sthrnbumpn has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum memberssthrnbumpn has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

they say disconnect Power Wire an remote to reset it, than repower it, does it have a thump in the sub lika heartbeat?
that happened to me wit a brand new ssl amp had to get a new power output put in
sthrnbumpn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011   #4 (permalink)
150 dB

tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06ers View Post
Check the resistance of the speakers and verify what the voltage is reading at the amp. Protect mode can be caused by subs the are internally shorted, wrong load placed on amp, overheating, and etc. Do you know how to perform a voltage drop test ? If not, I can send you a very informational electrical troubleshooting guide in .pdf format. if you send me your email address.
voltage drop is little but its there and they are 1.8 ohm on the dmm
Old 05-13-2011   #5 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrnbumpn View Post
they say disconnect power wire an remote to reset it, than repower it, does it have a thump in the sub lika heartbeat?
that happened to me wit a brand new ssl amp had to get a new power output put in
yea i reset the amp but it does have that thump when it turns on is it a diy fix or what cause i love this little amp
Old 05-13-2011   #6 (permalink)
120 dB

z06ers is still in the green - This is good

Let me know how that works. Does your amp have an onboard computer with diagnostics ? If not, I don't see how disconnecting wires (clearing codes) is going to solve the problem. But hey, its free and worth a shot at that price. Let me know how it works.
z06ers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2011   #7 (permalink)
150 dB

oh it didnt lol i already did all the troubleshooting but oh well i need this fix it thumps when i turn it on the protect could it be my remote wire from the toggle switch?
Old 05-13-2011   #8 (permalink)
130 dB

sthrnbumpn has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum memberssthrnbumpn has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

the power output (so i was told by repair guy)is a round magnet with hole in the center wrapped in copper wire, i paid to have mine fixed but i feel i couldve done it myself,$75 was the repair bill
u would have to know where to get parts for 1 ohm stable amps
Old 05-13-2011   #9 (permalink)
150 dB

>_> well also with just the g-p and r wires it still goes into protect i guess ill ship it to maxxsonics soon for repair unless anything new develops
Old 05-13-2011   #10 (permalink)
130 dB

im not sure how to post pics but i could take a few an show you exactly the part that fixed mine
Old 05-13-2011   #11 (permalink)
150 dB

it would help email me them we4me08@live.com
Old 05-13-2011   #12 (permalink)
130 dB

im workin on it itll be a few min
Old 05-13-2011   #13 (permalink)
160 dB

Sicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

if the amp is under warranty and u attempt to open it warranty goes bye bye...

90% of the time the issue with them is the driver board or it was shorted and fried the power input rail...

DO NOT TRY TO FIX AN AMP YOURSELF....

when they are stuck in protect your screwed... told ya that deal was too good to be true

contact Chris @ dB-r Electronics
Old 05-13-2011   #14 (permalink)
130 dB

i gotta agree with sic ive always thought i could dimyslf, but mite as well leave it to peep that know what there doin
Old 05-14-2011   #15 (permalink)
150 dB

yup its on its way to maxxsonics and sic id think this coulda been provented i read some reviews and this seems to happen with the titan series
Old 05-14-2011   #16 (permalink)
160 dB

Sicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

i doubt that.... i sold 1000's of the 1506 and 7506 series and never had 1 have that issue unless it was abused bad... urs was pretty much DOA... they did have a vibration issue... thats what their biggest issue was...it would kill the driver board when ya mounted the amp to the sub-box the bxi had the same issue
Old 05-14-2011   #17 (permalink)
160 dB

Darkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

only way i can see the vibration being an issue is with weak soldering joints.

H/U - pioneer
Amps - Sundown SCV3000, jl audio 300/4
Subs - Soundqubed 12" 4.8cu.ft net 34hz tune
Mids/High - mids= Stereo Integrity tm65MKII tweets=Tang Band 28-847SD
Power - 4 runs - 1/0 Audio Technix wire, Mechman 240A., 55ah bat upfront 50ah bat in trunk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Darkmage1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011   #18 (permalink)
160 dB

any amp is susceptible to severe vibration.. Chris @ DB-r has said this in countless threads.. it isn't weak solder... it is severe abuse.. those 2 particular amp lines however due to the design had a bit more issue with it tho... just like the gp3k had fet issues due to being sping clip mounted... their are literally hundreds of amp designs that have the same exact issues. it is not a Hifonics only issue.. but because they sell more amps than any 2 other companies combined their name gets drug thru the mud because too many idiots and noobs fail to read in the manual the part that says where and how to mount the amp.. and how not too...
Old 05-14-2011   #19 (permalink)
160 dB

FROM Sundowns website:

Warranty

AMPLIFIER WARRANTY INFORMATION:

Your new Sundown Audio amplifier is covered by a 2 year limited warranty if purchased from an authorized Sundown Audio dealer. This warranty does not cover improper installation, accidental damage, misuse, abuse, improper wiring, operation of unit outside of listed specifications, or any product that has been modified or repaired by anyone other than Sundown Audio. This warranty is transferable provided the original invoice or receipt is still with the unit so that its new owner can prove date and place of purchase.
All warranty returns must be sent freight prepaid to Sundown Audio and be accompanied by the original sales invoice or receipt. For faster warranty service please contact us to request a return authorization code. At the sole discretion of Sundown Audio your amplifier will be either repaired or replaced.
If no defect is found and the unit must be shipped back the customer is responsible for return freight, if the unit is truly defective the replaced or repaired unit will be shipped back prepaid. In the event of shipping damage due to improper packaging of the return the customer is liable for the cost of all damages, necessary repairs, or replacement. Be sure to properly pack your return!
Sundown Audio also offers a 5 year guarantee to our customers for a discounted replacement unit. We are so certain of the quality of our equipment that even if you are at fault for causing damage to your amplifier we will offer you a new unit at a reduced cost compared to MSRP. Contact us via e-mail to take advantage of this offer, even though we doubt you will ever need to! This offer applies ONLY to the original purchaser of the unit and is not transferable like the 2 year limited warranty. As is the case with standard warranty claims the return MUST be sent prepaid and with a copy of the original invoice or receipt.
In no event will Sundown Audio be liable for incidental, consequential, or other damages resulting from the use of this product, this includes but is not limited to, damage of hearing, property or person, damage based upon inconvenience or on loss of use of the product, and to the extent permitted by law, damages for personal injury. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights, which vary from state to state. This warranty applies to products sold and used in the United States of America. In all other countries please contact your distributor.

ADDITIONAL AMPLIFIER WARRANTY STIPULATIONS

New Warranty policy stipulations effective as of 10-2-2008 within the USA:
1) If your amplifier has a blown power supply or damage from excessive vibration there will be a charge for a warranty replacement within the 2-year policy:
* SAZ-1500D and smaller amplifiers (or any future model under 2000 watts) - $30 in the continental USA (AK and HI add $15)
* SAZ-2000D and SAZ-3000D (or any future model 2000 - 3000 watts) - $50 in the continental USA (AK and HI add $20)
2) If there is no obvious sign of either of the above the warranty replacement within the 2-year policy will remain a free replacement.
3) For either free replacement or flat-rate charge replacement the amplifier must be in at least "fair" condition. Amplifiers with excessive wear and tear and/or physical damage, as deemed by the sole discretion of Sundown Audio, will fall under the following stipulations:
* Blown power supply or excessive vibration damage will be fixed by db-R Electronics and customer will be charged for actual repair and shipping costs.
* Amplifiers that qualify for free replacement but are in less than "fair" condition will be repaired by db-R Electronics at no cost to the customer.
4) For any of the above it is assumed that the customer has shipped the amplifier back to Sundown Audio properly packaged and it has been received without physical damage from shipping. As stated in the current warranty text, "In the event of shipping damage due to improper packaging of the return the customer is liable for the cost of all damages, necessary repairs, or replacement."
5) After the 2-year policy has expired the 5-year discounted replacement policy will be in effect for 3 more years. The cost of the discounted replacement will vary on a pro-rated scale based on the physical condition of your returned amplifier. This will be handled on an individual basis - replacement cost will start at around 1/2 of MSRP cost for units with excessive wear and tear and/or physical damage and decrease for units in excellent condition. As stated in the current warranty text, "This offer applies ONLY to the original purchaser of the unit and is not transferable like the 2 year limited warranty."

Warranty

so sundown must use weak solder too... jus sayin... it is any amp not just 1 brand... regardless of quality it will damage the amplifier
Old 05-14-2011   #20 (permalink)
150 dB

it was pretty close to my box so it could be vibration i will admit tho it is a good amp i would pick one over the hfi amps and it mighta been were it was sitting for 5 years too never thought about that aspect
Old 05-14-2011   #21 (permalink)
160 dB

could have just been a static charge from dust... depending on where it sat.. i would take an HFi all day over a titan line...way higher efficiency..tons better cooling..3 times as much copper on the tracings...

just all around higher quality... a tad under rated imo but they so far have been rock solid ...
Old 05-14-2011   #22 (permalink)
150 dB

i might give one a try but for me i like the looks and performance of titan once i get this fixed i doubt ill get another amp just some gpv's
Old 05-14-2011   #23 (permalink)
160 dB

that hfi you had woulda powered the GPV way better...you gotta remember that they are dual 2 ohm.. so u can wire at .5 or 2... the hfi will give you more power at 2 ohms than the titan will even produce at 1 ohm
Old 05-14-2011   #24 (permalink)
150 dB

im getting the 4 ohm model bro
Old 05-15-2011   #25 (permalink)
160 dB

you do know they were recalled right?..... something at the buildhouse that got screwed up...

thats why i went with 3 D2 subs instead of 4 d4 subs...

Maxxsonics said they were all screwed up and from a dif build house.

and either way the hfi1000 is still more power and uses less current to make that power... I love both amps but the HFi replaced the titan line....

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » The "No Question is Dumb" Forum