Subwoofers Discuss anything about subwoofers.

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2012   #1 (permalink)
130 dB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ChadDub is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...
Default Installing subwoofers in doors?

Is it possible to install a 6.5 inch subwoofer into my door panels, instead of having a box in my car taking up room? I have 2 doors and 2 6.5s = 13 inches of cone area, so I'm thinking that's more cone area than one 12 inch, moving more air, and it should be cleaner because they're small. Am I right?
ChadDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #2 (permalink)
160 dB

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default Re: Installing subwoofers in doors?

sorry, but that is funny as fark. Go stick 2 6" subs on a 12 and come back to us.

Warning: I will more than likely offend you.

666WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #3 (permalink)
130 dB

Son is it a good idea or not I have no time for your snarckary >_>

I'm just trying to come up with the best upgrade for my setup.
Old 01-09-2012   #4 (permalink)
130 dB

Mr. Crunch has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersMr. Crunch has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

that was funny, but don't think they would sound in the door, how they do in the trunk with a box.

And cone area doesn't work quite like that. You need geometry to figure the cone area differences

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mr. Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #5 (permalink)
130 dB

I think what I'm gonna do is replace my back 6x9s with 2 6.5 subs and have a component setup for up front with the mid drivers and the tweets. That's gonna be swaggin.

I'm going for around 120-140 db SQ btw, I'm not wanting outrageously loud.
Old 01-09-2012   #6 (permalink)
130 dB

Mr. Crunch has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersMr. Crunch has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

now I've seen 8" subs fiberglassed into a doors as subs, but it depends on how far you're willing to go. The doors would have to be sealed up nice

If you put them in the 6x9 holes, they'll have to be good at free-air I believe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-09-2012   #7 (permalink)
130 dB

Are you saying the 6x9 holes are too big for 6.5s? If so, would they fit 8s nicely?
Old 01-09-2012   #8 (permalink)
130 dB

they would probably fit with an adapter. when you run speakers that way, they have to be able to perform without needing an enclosure. that's where the pros here come into play to recommend you something

Old 01-09-2012   #9 (permalink)
130 dB

Wouldn't the door be the enclosure? Shouldn't that be good enough?
Old 01-09-2012   #10 (permalink)
130 dB

a lot of the bass would escape thru the other side of the door. I'm just using this as an example, so no one beat me up, but these are the type of subs u need Example

Old 01-09-2012   #11 (permalink)
I shake the earth from down under.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

The door can be an enclosure but you would have to heavily sound deaden the doors or build a fiberglass enclosure into the door thats completely sealed off. Both will be fairly time consuming and materials can get costly. Buy a small eight or ten that is suitable for small sealed boxes like the tc epic 8 or maybe a fi q 10. Both would get louder and sound great doing it. I have seen four 6 1/2 subs in a box attached to the top of the truck so they where out of the way and everyone thought they were two tens. There are many different options for you for all different prices. How much are you willing to spend and what car do you drive so maybe we can help you find something to suite your needs.
49konvict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #12 (permalink)
Angry old man

Location: Las Vegas,1971-present,someday i'll retire in Idaho
sri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadDub View Post

2, 6.5" drivers do not equate to 13" of cone area or equal that of a 12" driver
a 6.5" driver, is about 26 square inches..
a 12" driver, is about 113" square inches

as far as getting 140 out of 4, 6.5" drivers, out of a door ib, good luck.. I wouldnt try it..
Rockford Fosgate PPS4-6 mids
Image Dynamics XS-28 tweets
Hifonics GLX1000.1
2 Sundown E10's with a Pete designed enclosure...

Last edited by sri3850341; 01-09-2012 at 06:20 AM.
sri3850341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #13 (permalink)
160 dB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Burkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Lol I laughed several times in this thread.

Why don't you want to use a box? That is the best thing to do lol. If you want to put subs somewhere other than the trunk in your car the next option would be to put some 8's in the rear deck but that would require way more effort than just building a good box and putting a 12 in it.
Cadence ZRS-C9
HAT Imagine 6.5s active
Rockford Fosgate 360.3
Burkem_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #14 (permalink)
160 dB

666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadDub View Post

Sorry, I wasn't trying to insult you or demean your idea in anyway. We all have derp moments (which you'll realize you did in a moment), particularly when we're young (I'm damn near twice your age btw).

Simple mathematics. Surface area of a circle = Radius squared times Pi.

6.5" sub: 3.25 x 3.25 = 10.5625 x 3.14 = 33.16625sqin.

12" sub: 6 x 6 = 36 x 3.14 = 113.04sqin.

So you would need 4 6.5" subs to get slightly more surface area than a 12" sub. However, a typical 12" sub has 74sqin of surface area due to the surround decreasing the overall cone size. And the same applies to 6.5's. They typically would be 20sqin. Plus the larger the surround, the smaller the cone area. And even a small decrease in the diameter can make a huge drop in area.

If you are set on not having a box in the back, you could go for 8's in the doors, but you'd need to do a fiberglass custom enclosure for them. TC Epic 8's spring to mind if you want SQ. They have around 50sqin of cone area, so 1 8 in each door would have more cone area than 2 6.5's in each door. The 8's would also work in the same volume as the 6.5's.

You could also get 2 Epic 8's for around the price of 2 DD 6.5's.

Old 01-09-2012   #15 (permalink)
160 dB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
SINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666WMD View Post
Sorry, I wasn't trying to insult you or demean your idea in anyway. We all have derp moments (which you'll realize you did in a moment), particularly when we're young (I'm damn near twice your age btw).

Simple mathematics. Surface area of a circle = Radius squared times Pi.

6.5" sub: 3.25 x 3.25 = 10.5625 x 3.14 = 33.16625sqin.

12" sub: 6 x 6 = 36 x 3.14 = 113.04sqin.

So you would need 4 6.5" subs to get slightly more surface area than a 12" sub. However, a typical 12" sub has 74sqin of surface area due to the surround decreasing the overall cone size. And the same applies to 6.5's. They typically would be 20sqin. Plus the larger the surround, the smaller the cone area. And even a small decrease in the diameter can make a huge drop in area.

If you are set on not having a box in the back, you could go for 8's in the doors, but you'd need to do a fiberglass custom enclosure for them. TC Epic 8's spring to mind if you want SQ. They have around 50sqin of cone area, so 1 8 in each door would have more cone area than 2 6.5's in each door. The 8's would also work in the same volume as the 6.5's.

You could also get 2 Epic 8's for around the price of 2 DD 6.5's.
The epic 8 would probably be way too deep for doors. You could easily fit a 12 inch shallow mount with a custom fiberglass pod. But again lots of work. Its actually not that hard to build a box in the rear deck of a trunked car.. that would be a better option.
Ohio Gen 300 amp alt
SKBT100.. (might be replaced with NSB90)
97 Tahoe LT
SINTORMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012   #16 (permalink)
160 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINTORMAN View Post
The epic 8 would probably be way too deep for doors. You could easily fit a 12 inch shallow mount with a custom fiberglass pod. But again lots of work. Its actually not that hard to build a box in the rear deck of a trunked car.. that would be a better option.
I know 8's would be deep but depending on the car door and how much leg room he wants to sacrifice, it could be done. Just take a look at Sventz's car.

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Subwoofers