Help choosing subwoofers for my brother. - Realm of Excursion

Subwoofers Discuss anything about subwoofers.

Old 01-19-2013   #1 (permalink)
130 dB

mystikalmastac has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersmystikalmastac has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members
Default Help choosing subwoofers for my brother.

Hello im not new to the subwoofer world or anything but im so torn right now which way to go helping my brother.

my brother is looking into buying either American Bass XD 10s,American Bass TNT 10s or Sundown audio E series 10. The XDs are rated at 450 RMS but ive never used these,The American Bass TNTs are rated at 600 rms and the Sundown audio E series 10 is rated at 450 rms. I have used american Bass DX 10s and by no means are they the best subs out but for the money they are some of the best sounding subs in there price range ive heard. Amp wise he has got a american bass hd 2500 its brand new just picked it up. Amp puts out 1250 rms. One thing having me lean tords American bass is Bob is roughly 30-40 minutes from where we live...And ive never used Sundown audio subwoofers..ive seen them on youtube but that is it.Box he has got now is 3 cubes total,has dual chambers each chamber is 1.5 cbft with L slot vents tuned to 37 hrts. Right now he is running two DX 10s in this box on a alpine mrp 500m and its pretty impressive for 500 RMS Power and for single coil 10s that cost what 50 bucks? But its time for a upgrade. he picked his amp up from Bob around a week ago and have not installed it yet because hes waiting to buy subs for it.The XDs and E series look to be on the same level as each other,where the TNT would be same level as the SA series from SD audio BUT price wise he is not spending almost 200 a subwoofer.I cannot tell our quotes from BOB but they are damn good,the TNT would be around the same price as the E series and the XDs would be alittle less. If anyone has used any of these 3 subwoofers let me know what you thought of them,Or let me know what you think power wise and box wise would be the best subs for him.

I also have used american bass subwoofers now for alittle while,I have ran the DXs myself which was pretty decent subs for the price and power they handle.I now have a 3.5 cbft common chamber box slot vented tuned to 33 hrts,American bass VFL 120.1 amp,Two american bass HD 10s and im very impressed with my setup. His price range is WELL below mine was and thats why hes picking one of these 3 subs.I do not wanna be bias with him because i like my american bass setup,and i know the sundown audio subs are pretty beastly so i told him id ask around to see what others thought.

P.S his mind is set on one of these 3 subs so please just lets keep it to these 2 brands and subs on which to choose.

-Craig

Here is the XD 10.
http://www.americanb...l/product_id/31

Here is the TNT 10.
http://www.americanb.../product_id/160

Here is the Sundown audio E 10 specs.
http://www.sundownau...m/e-series.html
Two American Bass HD 10s,a American Bass VFL 120.1 amp,American Bass SQ 945 amp on my highs and mids,Infinty kappa 5.25s in the doors,Infinity reference 1 inch tweeters in stock tweeter location,Infinity kappa 6x9s in the rear deck lid,Kenwood kdc-x395 head unit,American bass ABX 2.1R Line driver bass machine for the subs,American bass ABX 3.1r crossover processor for the highs and mids,Dual Kinetik KHC800's one under hood other in trunk,Chevy Impala police package HO alternator (Direct fit for my car and 20 bucks at pick and pull )0 gauge power and ground runs,D blocks with 0 gauge running from it to the VFL amp,4 gauge running to the SQ 945 amp,custom built 4 cbft common chamber vented box tuned @ 30 hrts.
mystikalmastac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013   #2 (permalink)
140 dB

98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!
Default Re: Help choosing subwoofers for my brother.

Out of those choices and for the price you are getting them for, I would go with the tnts. Your getting more power handling, a larger coil, and more xmax. I have not used any of the American bass subs but I have not heard anything bad about the tnts. I have experience with the sundowns and they are a great sub and will take the power. But for the price you will be getting more from the tnts. Maybe someone else with more experience with them will chime in on the enclosure.
98Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013   #3 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Civic View Post
Out of those choices and for the price you are getting them for, I would go with the tnts. Your getting more power handling, a larger coil, and more xmax. I have not used any of the American bass subs but I have not heard anything bad about the tnts. I have experience with the sundowns and they are a great sub and will take the power. But for the price you will be getting more from the tnts. Maybe someone else with more experience with them will chime in on the enclosure.
I agree. The biggest gripe I have with my E series 12 is the limitation of its Xmax... Granted it has built in the ability to go past it slightly its still what limits the subs potential. But that's Sundown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013   #4 (permalink)
130 dB

mystikalmastac has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersmystikalmastac has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

Thanks for the replies guys if there is anyone else who wanna chime in im glad to hear everyones opinions! I myself was already leaning tords the TNTs but he wanted to hear what others have to say about the XDs and the E series.
Two American Bass HD 10s,a American Bass VFL 120.1 amp,American Bass SQ 945 amp on my highs and mids,Infinty kappa 5.25s in the doors,Infinity reference 1 inch tweeters in stock tweeter location,Infinity kappa 6x9s in the rear deck lid,Kenwood kdc-x395 head unit,American bass ABX 2.1R Line driver bass machine for the subs,American bass ABX 3.1r crossover processor for the highs and mids,Dual Kinetik KHC800's one under hood other in trunk,Chevy Impala police package HO alternator (Direct fit for my car and 20 bucks at pick and pull )0 gauge power and ground runs,D blocks with 0 gauge running from it to the VFL amp,4 gauge running to the SQ 945 amp,custom built 4 cbft common chamber vented box tuned @ 30 hrts.
Old 02-01-2013   #5 (permalink)
130 dB

Nobody else has any views on this? I need helping under standing TS parameters and such when i look at those 2 subs the TNT has higher RMS and Xmax but the Xds look like they might be a little louder when looking at everything else with his given power and box but maybe im just not understanding parameters well enough.
Old 02-03-2013   #6 (permalink)
150 dB

KingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

I wouldn't worry to much about the T/S parameters. There are really to many other factors for them to be a viable tool in selecting a driver. They can help you design an enclosure or see something like motor force but that's about all their practice for.

My pick, for the price, would be the tnt's. I've heard the E's and while they sound great there not a loud sub in a daily application. As mentioned above the larger coil, higher xmax etc all give advantage to the tnt. If you getting a good price on it I say pull the trigger.
KingPen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013   #7 (permalink)
Banned

OVER 160db MISSION has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersOVER 160db MISSION has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

The TNT1044 looks beefy but Sundown has been pretty underated since day one.
Im also betting the E series just sounds better. But that TNT is 600RMS or so they say so the TNT1044 is most likely your best bet at Spl.

I would go with Sundown anyway because i trust them more.
OVER 160db MISSION is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2013   #8 (permalink)
0 dB

killatrav is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...

Iv heard all 3 subs n personally I'd go with Tnts unless ur bro is a sq fanatic. The tnts r durable n I'm sure Bob would help u design an enclosure
killatrav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013   #9 (permalink)
130 dB

Yeah Tomorrow is the day it looks like we go see Bob. So he has decided on two TNT 10s ,but today is last minute searches for amp decision he is between a VFL 100.1 or a VFL 2680 mini. 100.1 is 1500 RMS @ 1 ohm and the vfl 2680 mini is 1320 RMS@ 1 ohm. He went ahead and sold the HD2500 to a friend for the price he paid for it being it was BNIB so he could get a stronger amp. Decisions Decisions. I told him either should be just fine i love my VFL. Over the weekend we ran KnuKonceptz 0 gauge for him,Ran his new RCAs,and slapped in his two new batteries. I would of went a different route on batteries but he just went and bought two brand new duralast gold model bats,what ever was the direct size for his car. Anyways we got the front and rear bat installed and wired up and the wires for the amp are already cut and ready to be connected once the amp is in the car. Anyone use the 100.1 or the 2680 mini ? Trying to see what others think of either of these amps hes looking at,from reviews online it seems its going to come down to what he wants to pay because review wise there both awesome. My 120.1 is a beast and im ready to buy a 2nd to have one per HD.

Just a little more info he decided to sell the HD2500 because like i told him if we DMM the amp to its 1250 RMS rating the amp will be working at its max pretty much if he decided to really slam at times. So he decided to sell the HD2500 to a friend,he got the full price he paid for it so thats a plus. Now the VFL 100.1 or the VFL mini both put out 1500-1600 RMS @ 1 ohm so when we DMM the amp to put out 1200 RMS the amp is not being pushed to its dearest RMS limits,or sending dirty power/clipping if he goes full tilt for a song,Plus the VFL's are just better amps i really am the reason for this move i talked him into it being there is not much info about the HD model amps out there...Im thinking there the renamed XD amps.
Also hes got the dual bat setup now and were going to stop there and see how the car does voltage wise but if it drops to much he told me we will get him a stronger alternator so that part is already handled if hes got voltage issues.

Last edited by mystikalmastac; 02-12-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2013   #10 (permalink)
I shake the earth from down under.

49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Get him to install a volt meter also si he can see when he's dropping to low. Looks like your leading him in the right direction.
49konvict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2013   #11 (permalink)
130 dB

We got him one he picked up a stinger volt meter im going to wire directly at the amp for him so we see how his voltage is at full tilt.
Old 02-12-2013   #12 (permalink)
130 dB

Honestly at 1500 rms roughly i think his voltage should be just fine being hes got 2 bat setup and all and that 1500 rms would be at full tilt so that im not to worried about,just wondered if anyone has ran a 100.1 or a vfl 2680.

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Subwoofers