how hard is it to tint your own windows? - Realm of Excursion

Vehicle Discussion / Performance / Modification Discuss anything related to vehicle peformance & modications.

Old 09-25-2008   #1 (permalink)
140 dB

aturcotte127317 is still in the green - This is good
Default how hard is it to tint your own windows?

so ive been wanting to tint my windows for a while (get it done professionally) and now ive been searching for prices, and in my city, its all 250-280$, now i can travel about an hour away and get it done for 150$ (but i think there are some strings attached). now im wondering if i pick up some tint film from advanced auto, and did it myself would it look haggard? because i see alot of tint jobs that just turn out horrible, but i think that might just be because they had no idea how to do it, didnt take their time etc. so is window tinting something that HAS to be done pro? or can it turn out ok if its a DIY project? aslo if you know of any other ways to do it or any tips on ohw to do it correct, let me know. thanks in advance guys!
-1 sets of RF power coax's
-1 set infinity refrence comps
-pushing mids and tweets with GP4150
-1/0 AWG wire (MTX and Knu)
-optima yellowtop and Northstar NSB 125
-Stock 120A(or 150 or soemthing) Alt
aturcotte127317 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008   #2 (permalink)
160 dB

caps is still in the green - This is good

give it a try, tint is cheap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
caps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008   #3 (permalink)
Banned

korey_hofer has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!korey_hofer has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!korey_hofer has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!korey_hofer has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!korey_hofer has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!korey_hofer has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

it will turn purple if you buy it from there and tinting sucks ass but it is cheap
korey_hofer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008   #4 (permalink)
150 dB

jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

It turns purple from using ammonia based glass cleaner. They sell ammonia-free glass cleaner especially for tinted windows. Check it out next time you're in an auto parts store.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 driver, 3 way active setup w/ time delay on each driver.
CDA-9855 PDX4.100 GTO14001
70a alt. Orbital yellow top. Big3 in 4g. 150a fusing.
Custom TC 3K based 12. 140.2dB @ ~47Hz legal on the TL.
KeepItSimpleStupid
Refs: cartunez2004 (s,t), Getter (s), blackout (s,t), rrrobertson7805 (t), RidinLoudProd (s, t), stovebolt6 (t)
jmelton86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008   #5 (permalink)
160 dB

Team Nemesis-DJ is still in the green - This is good

Its not hard ...just take your time ..i us to be pretty good at it ..

In loving memory of Brad Martin March 8,1978 -March 14,2008 & Coby Martin June 24,1998-March 14,2008

DJ PAWNING NEWBS SINCE BEFORE 90.
Team Nemesis-DJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008   #6 (permalink)
Banned

korey_hofer has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!korey_hofer has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!korey_hofer has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!korey_hofer has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!korey_hofer has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!korey_hofer has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

the part that sucks is that it seams you never can keep dirt and **** from blowing on the Car while you do it
korey_hofer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008   #7 (permalink)

cartunez2004 is still in the green - This is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelton86 View Post
It turns purple from using ammonia based glass cleaner. They sell ammonia-free glass cleaner especially for tinted windows. Check it out next time you're in an auto parts store.
its turns purple when it has metalized (spelled wrong) sh*t in it cant think of what its called tint basically cheap tint has it in it, tintin isnt that hard just make sure u do it in a clean place cause if not u will have dirt in it and that will make it look like ****\
u can also order pre-cut tint online and i used it b4 and it worked out great
cartunez2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008   #8 (permalink)
140 dB

why do you need to get the pre-cut tint? couldnt i just use a razor? also any and all tips would be greatly appreciated, aswell as any name brands (that i can get at autozone, or advanced auto, or walmart, etc. is it me or are those prices to get it done pro, insane?
Old 09-25-2008   #9 (permalink)
140 dB

X2 on my last post.... any help?
Old 09-26-2008   #10 (permalink)
140 dB

any reccomended brands? does pre-cut really matter (it's kinda hard to find it for a 94' audi 100 trying to stay away from egay)
Old 09-26-2008   #11 (permalink)
160 dB

caps is still in the green - This is good

lumar

caps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008   #12 (permalink)
140 dB

thanks caps, ill check them out!
Old 09-26-2008   #13 (permalink)
130 dB

StoneColdJesus is still in the green - This is good

Tips: Get your Car as clean as humanly possible. Any grit on your car can and will end up under your tint.

Flat and simple curved windows are very easy to tint, you can work out all the bubbles pretty easily if there's only one curve on a window. If it has a compound curve you'll end up having to cut, overlap and seam the tint at some point or deal with a bubble on at least one corner.

Keep the window as wet as possible with soapy water. Also wet the back of the tint with soapy water to prevent scratches from the squeegee.

If you want tint to the edge of the window don't plan on rolling them up for a couple of days. If you have to roll them up ASAP trim the tint back about 3/16" - 1/4" from the edge of the window. Also run the tint as far below the edge of the door panels as possible so the door's squeegee won't peel the tint. Naturally this entails pulling the door panels.

Most importantly, get a hand. I've never had a problem tinting with help but I can't do it alone. You have to trim the tint by wetting the window outside the car and sticking the tint to it with the clear film facing towards you and cutting the rough shape out about 1" oversize. Having a hand to stop the tint from walking all over the window as you're trying to trim it makes a huge difference.

Also... buy an extra roll just in case you end up flubbing a cut or getting a wrinkle in the tint. It happens and it's easier to return unused tint than to run to the store with your car half torn apart.

StoneColdJesus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008   #14 (permalink)
Wanna get in my van?

nick has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nick has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nick has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nick has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nick has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nick has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nick has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

last time I checked Lumar wasnt sold at autozone

Team Sundown
Sundown Audio Ohio Sales rep
Quote:
Im outa here like a heard of turtles
nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008   #15 (permalink)
150 dB

Coolwazabi is still in the green - This is good

llumar is awesome... 3m makes good tint...

but IMO llumar is the best...

Coolwazabi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008   #16 (permalink)

cartunez2004 is still in the green - This is good

pre-cut is just ez if u dont wanna cut the tint all u do is put it on and get the bubbles out, and as far as walmart, pep boys autozone it will look good for bout a year and start to turn purple after that , solar and llumar films are good tint and the price for a shop to do it is kinda high the highest place around here is $225 for a Car i get a car done for $175 if i dont feel like doin it myself

Last edited by cartunez2004; 09-26-2008 at 09:38 AM.
cartunez2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008   #17 (permalink)
140 dB

alright, so extra set of hands, clean windows, ive heardto take soemthing like a card (playing card, credit card) and stuff about 1/2 inch under the window squeegee, sounds like a good idea, but wouldnt that promote some wrinkling when trying to stuff it under the squeegee?
Old 09-26-2008   #18 (permalink)
130 dB

StoneColdJesus is still in the green - This is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturcotte127317 View Post
alright, so extra set of hands, clean windows, ive heardto take soemthing like a card (playing card, credit card) and stuff about 1/2 inch under the window squeegee, sounds like a good idea, but wouldnt that promote some wrinkling when trying to stuff it under the squeegee?
That's why I say pull the door panels. Remember, you've got dirt below the squeegee line and unless you clean it off the tint won't stick to it.

StoneColdJesus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008   #19 (permalink)
140 dB

i am willing to buy offline, but not ebay... (i guess i have soem negative balance on there, that ive paid off, but still suspended account...) but i couldnt find anywhere ot buy lumar tint, their website only had "dealer locators" which was 2 states away from me
Old 09-26-2008   #20 (permalink)
Wanna get in my van?

nick has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nick has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nick has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nick has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nick has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nick has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nick has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

check for Solar Guard its good stuff too

Team Sundown
Sundown Audio Ohio Sales rep
Quote:
Im outa here like a heard of turtles
nick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008   #21 (permalink)
150 dB

kensaudio99 is still in the green - This is good

Here my window tinting. To do proper windows tint require time and patient. Don't get pre cut tint because if the first time you will screw up your tinting. Buy a huge roll of tint and remember buy Grade A tint because those are good quanlity ones. Every tint have a dark shade so select 5 or 20% shade. 5 % shade is very dark so wouldn't get that unless if live a country where the laws tint allow that shade. I would go for 20% shade or higher. I can tell you more about tinting because i did it on my own.

You can never stop learning in life. It can be wise investment in business.
kensaudio99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008   #22 (permalink)
140 dB

looks really nice man!!! i sent u a PM!
Old 09-26-2008   #23 (permalink)
150 dB

VikingLax18 is still in the green - This is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelton86 View Post
no. It turns purple from being a dyed film, instead of a dye free film. it has nothing to do with the cleaner

Future system coming soon...
VikingLax18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008   #24 (permalink)
150 dB

VikingLax18 is still in the green - This is good

I started tinting by doing my own car, and then realizing I could get all my friends business. You won't be able to get good tint unless you setup a contract with a bigger company, like I did.

I have an account with Johnson window films and Order tint here and there, because I'm not doing it all the time.
I could describe the whole process, but you can find that stuff online. here are some pics

Got a fatass roll to last me. Johnsons is the best you can buy FYI, really really good quality **** with awesome Customer service.

These are just a few I've done. That Bmw 3 series I did yesterday.

Wished I could have seen this thread earlier i could have given you alot of pointers.

What brand did you use?

Future system coming soon...
VikingLax18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008   #25 (permalink)
140 dB

i didnt even buy it yet! ur not too late! shoot me soem tips man! (aswell as brands!)

Realm of Excursion » Lounge » Vehicle Discussion / Performance / Modification