Realm of Excursion - View Single Post - 12" KICKER L7 or DIGITAL DESIGNS 2512

View Single Post
Old 06-30-2006   #12 (permalink)
Savage
150 dB

Savage is still in the green - This is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polecat
they say it becasue they 'read it' somewhere else...the L7 can sound amazing, adn last as long as a DD if done properly, anyone can blow a sub...any sub, yes, even a DD...I know, it happens...more SQ awards have been given to an L7, well over a DD....
Haha! Read it somewhere

No - I haven't owned an L7. There's a good reason for that - I've heard dozens of L7 setups and have never heard one that sounds good. Not only that, but they just can't take the kind of Power I'm running. I've also competed in both SQ and SPL for 10 years now, and have seen more than my fair share of L5s and L7s in the lanes.
I've personally heard so many L7s in SQ and SPL comps that I think I can safely say that they are not great at SQ. SPL - they're not too bad. My best friend ran 2-15s off a PPI 2350. They lasted about 2 months, and he went to Stroker. His 2-15" Strokers were more accurate - they didn't go as low as his L7s, but they were louder, stronger and equally as muddy. I have never seen anyone win an SQ event using an L7, and I was still competing in SQ when the square subs came out (and yes, several of the guys who went up against me had L7s - they never came close to winning). I have (no word of a lie) seen people win using Mmats Juggernauts, and yes, even a 15" CV Stroker, so it is possible that you can make an L7 sound good. I just haven't seen one yet.

The fact of the matter is, from the dozens of L7s I've heard first hand, the bass is always muddy, even if in sealed boxes. They go pretty low, and are definitely loud, but tonally they are not in the same universe as an IDQ or any other SQ sub. They are boomy and inaccurate in ported boxes (much like my 18" Stroker); the boominess isn't so bad in smaller boxes and tuned low, but in my friend's case the response did tighten up considerably, but it was still quite boomy going to a smaller box and lower tuning.

I also own a pair of DD9515fs, and one of the guys I compete with runs 2512s in one of his vehicles. The 2512s are quite good at SQ - not that loud, but very accurate (I was actually kinda surprised).

For future reference - I don't open my mouth unless I've had personal owned something or have had enough listen time to back my statements up. If you don't like what I type, I suggest you deal with it rather than make retard statements like "'read it' somewhere". I've been around long enough not to have to read something to make an opinion on it.
Savage is offline   Reply With Quote

» Amps
A/d/s/
Advent
Alphasonik
Alpine
American Bass
ARC Audio
Atomic
Audio Art
Audio Gods
Audiobahn