How Can I!? - Page 2 - Realm of Excursion

Accessories & Electrical Alternators, Batteries, Tools & Sound Deadening

Old 09-20-2006   #26 (permalink)

TypeRBass is still in the green - This is good
Default Re: How Can I!?

yeah I had a 16v setup for a lil while also.....4 8v batteries....worked out fine for me. I'd go days without charging them and they'd be fine. Sayar, don't speak when you don't know what your talking about or when you havent used 8v batteries before. you DONT need an alternator to charge them up. its not a necessity. I didn't have one for mine, I had a good 'ol battery charger that i threw on em every couple of days. It worked fine for me, I got rid of it because it just wasn't practical for me at the time. I didn't need a 16v daily driver. So once again Sayar, do real world tests before you speak.
kthxbye
TypeRBass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006   #27 (permalink)
160 dB

Saynkuck123 is still in the green - This is good

No I don’t have any real world experience with 16 volt systems but I can tell you with absolute certainty deep cycling those batteries every day will cut down their life by well over 1/2. I am still sticking to my suggesting on getting an 18 volt alternator. Anyway with an alternator he can achieve well over 16 volts steady at the amp.

With the guy falling to 10 volts, he has 6 Turbostart 16 volt batteries and two Memphis MOjo 4,000 watt amplifiers. He charges them to 22 volts because they are so damm shot they wont hold anything so he charges them that high to try to reduce the voltage drop during his run.

Anyway if it was me or one of my customers I would install a alternator. Not only because it will greatly increase the life of the batteries and provide much more voltage to the amplifier but it eliminates the pain in the ass of having to charge them every night. And it eliminates the worry of them going dead when you are pounding hard for a long time.

He may be able to get away with no alternator but in not getting an alternator for them is doing it half ass. I like to say do it right the first time and do it all the way. Don’t take shortcuts. In the money he will spend replacing those batteries 2x sooner, he could have gotten a 18 volt alternator and done things the right way.

I have found out the hard way many times. Don’t take shortcuts / don’t ****** rig / do it right the first time.

Anyway Xblazer you are wasting your money with a 16 volt system. But better amps or something like that instead.
Saynkuck123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006   #28 (permalink)
150 dB

tommyk90 is still in the green - This is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayar Kuchenski
No I don’t have any real world experience with 16 volt systems but I can tell you with absolute certainty deep cycling those batteries every day will cut down their life by well over 1/2. I am still sticking to my suggesting on getting an 18 volt alternator. Anyway with an alternator he can achieve well over 16 volts steady at the amp.

With the guy falling to 10 volts, he has 6 Turbostart 16 volt batteries and two Memphis MOjo 4,000 watt amplifiers. He charges them to 22 volts because they are so damm shot they wont hold anything so he charges them that high to try to reduce the voltage drop during his run.

Anyway if it was me or one of my customers I would install a alternator. Not only because it will greatly increase the life of the batteries and provide much more voltage to the amplifier but it eliminates the pain in the ass of having to charge them every night. And it eliminates the worry of them going dead when you are pounding hard for a long time.

He may be able to get away with no alternator but in not getting an alternator for them is doing it half ass. I like to say do it right the first time and do it all the way. Don’t take shortcuts. In the money he will spend replacing those batteries 2x sooner, he could have gotten a 18 volt alternator and done things the right way.

I have found out the hard way many times. Don’t take shortcuts / don’t ****** rig / do it right the first time.

Anyway Xblazer you are wasting your money with a 16 volt system. But better amps or something like that instead.
If he charges them to 22 volts, he's doing nothing BUT killing them. And if they are dropping that much on a burp with only 2 4kw's on them, then he either 1) sucks at life or 2) doesn't know what the hell he's doing. That guy doesn't deserve the equipment he runs.

Like I said before, the LOWEST i've ever seen my teammates batteries dip down to was 15.5, and that was after EXTENSIVE testing and not charging them for a few days.

An 18v alternator is a waste of space and money, and would put him into a high class in ANY organization if he decides to compete.

Go ahead and call it "half-assed" but just remember that they are still louder than you with less cone area and less power.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Competition setup:10" DD 9510, kicker zx2500, ~2 cubes tuned to 42hz......151.2 on the TL

Team Kicker,Team Phat HertZ
2007 MECA World Finalist
S1: 152.4: World Champion (headrest)
DB1: 121.7: World Champion

2008 Bassrace 130-139.9 regional and national champion
tommyk90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006   #29 (permalink)
150 dB

Coolwazabi is still in the green - This is good

man this stuff is really confusing !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Coolwazabi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006   #30 (permalink)

dantheman8328 is still in the green - This is good

i see where your both coming from, im sure you could go without an alternator on the 16v setup if you have a half way decent bank of batteries and charge them every couple of days. with xblazer though it wouldnt be practical at all seeing as how this is his only Car that he drives everyday, and plus its just not worth it for him lol. in the long run i think an alternator would definitly be the better choice but again not absolutely necessary.

and i dont have any personal experience with 16v setups, but even i know that charging at 22 volts is absolutely and completely retarded and no wonder his batteries died. and a 8volt drop with only 4kwatts.....yea thats all that needs to be said.
dantheman8328 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006   #31 (permalink)
160 dB

dRaGGin loW is still in the green - This is good

all of my topics turn into a war -_-

Ok since most of those posts up there appear to be fighting.

Could I do a bank of say 2 extra batteries and maybe a 16v alternator? Does EA have those also O.o

Vehicle: 2001 Chevrolet Xtreme Blazer
Air Ride:
Front Bagged on Slam RE7 bags
5 Gallon Tank
3/8" Valves with 1/2" Line
2 Viair Chrome 480 Compressors

Stereo:
4 15" Memphis M3
Flat Wall tuned at 40hz
6000 Watts,200 Amp Alternator, SVR Batteries
150dB Daily Driver

dRaGGin loW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006   #32 (permalink)

its not worth it....
youd be better off buying another amp or just a HO alt and some wiring...
Old 09-21-2006   #33 (permalink)
150 dB

Jybfan04 is still in the green - This is good

I agree with Dantheman

get an HO alt and upgrade the wiring that would be ideal and or a cheaper route than running a 16volt electrical system especially as a daily driver.

1998 Nissan Altima
1 6.4 cu ft custom enclosure external
1 15" FI/MD Hyrbid Napalm
Pioneer Premier Deh-p860mp
40 sq ft of second skin & 5 Cans of expanding foam
+ 1 SAZ-1500d
----------------------------------------------------
= MUSIC TO MY EARS........
Jybfan04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006   #34 (permalink)
160 dB

upgrade the wiring.........................

I'm already running 0 gauge........ lol

Air Ride:
5 Gallon Tank

Stereo:
4 15" Memphis M3
Flat Wall tuned at 40hz
150dB Daily Driver

Old 09-21-2006   #35 (permalink)
Almost Banned

momentarylapse7 is still in the green - This is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBlazer01
all of my topics turn into a war -_-

Ok since most of those posts up there appear to be fighting.

Could I do a bank of say 2 extra batteries and maybe a 16v alternator? Does EA have those also O.o
HAHAHAHAHA that is hilarious, there has been 2 fights just within this thread alone. petty but hey, at least you'll get tha info you need!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolwazabi
man this stuff is really confusing !!!
but it is worth knowing. i knew nothing about 16v & 18v systems when i first joined here, now i hear about them all tha time & am gonna be helping my buddy on an install for a 16v DD/18v comp system.
[RIGHT][FONT="Tahoma"][B]Sub:[/B] [COLOR="Red"]Adassa Audio SPL 18"[/COLOR] [B]Sub Amp:[/B] [COLOR="Red"]Incriminator Audio 20.1[/COLOR] [B]Sub Enclosure: [/B][COLOR="Red"]~4.7 cubes @ ~30hz w/(2) 6" aero ports [/COLOR]
[B]Component Amp:[/B] [COLOR="Red"]Eclipse EA4100 [/COLOR][B]Components:[/B] [COLOR="Red"]CDT 7" + Selenium ST350 [/COLOR] [B]Headunit:[/B] [COLOR="Red"]Pioneer Premier 880PRS [/COLOR]
[B]Electrical:[/B] [COLOR="Red"](1) Optima Redtop (front), (1) Optima Yellowtop (trunk), eD eNetic 1/0, Stock alt (for now, looking), 1/0 Big 3 (coming soon)[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Gray"][B][FONT="Tahoma"]refs: i got more than your mammy.
[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/right]
momentarylapse7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006   #36 (permalink)
130 dB

dawgger is still in the green - This is good

they're not really fighting, ive seen fighting on here and this is not it.

They're having a discussion, maybe a heated discussion lol, i think this is really great for all the readers tho, they get to see both sides of the issue and learn from it.

As for xblazer, you will spend the same amount of money making your 16v system than getting a more powerful amp. But if your sure u wanna do it then its all up to you man.
dawgger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2006   #37 (permalink)
160 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyk90
If he charges them to 22 volts, he's doing nothing BUT killing them. And if they are dropping that much on a burp with only 2 4kw's on them, then he either 1) sucks at life or 2) doesn't know what the hell he's doing. .
I am not disagreeing with you on that. And its not that he does not know what he is doing. Its that the batterys are shot!
Old 09-21-2006   #38 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
I am not disagreeing with you on that. And its not that he does not know what he is doing. Its that the batterys are shot!
If he killed that much juice with only two 4kw's, then he's obviously doing something wrong.

/discussion.

I would burp my 2500d on a single everstart MAXX from wally world and only dip into 11.8-12.0. That's with the Car OFF. With my 2 evertstarts I don't even go below 12v anymore.

As for xblazer, the simplest option would be to get a high output alternator, and run MORE wiring. You may have 1/0 wiring, but ever thought about doing multiple runs?

Competition setup:10" DD 9510, kicker zx2500, ~2 cubes tuned to 42hz......151.2 on the TL

2007 MECA World Finalist

Old 09-21-2006   #39 (permalink)
160 dB

I suggest a HO alternator with an adjustable voltage regulator. That way you could set the regulator a little high at like 15.2 volts @ 2,000 RPM and you will be able to have a constant 14.4 going to your amps. Your computer can handle 15.2 volts. However you might go through light bulbs on your truck slightly more often. I use to have mine set at 15.5 volts just to see how things ran. Now I have my voltage regulator turned down.
Old 09-21-2006   #40 (permalink)
160 dB

Where could I get a HO Alt with the adjustable volt reg.?

Does EA have those or no?

Also could my Yellowtop handle the alt adjusted around 15.2?

Oh and i didnt say it yet. Thank you all for the information I've recieved so far!

Air Ride:
5 Gallon Tank

Stereo:
4 15" Memphis M3
Flat Wall tuned at 40hz
150dB Daily Driver

Old 09-22-2006   #41 (permalink)

15.5 volts? hell why not 22!

i would not suggest going that route and especially with your halos and all that in your truck you wouldnt want to be sending them over 15 volts thats just dumb.
and yea you dont even have the big 3 done yet do you?
you definitly need to do that before anything else before you kill your amp
then i would go with a HO alt and some more runs of wire, ie one more run for negative.
Old 09-22-2006   #42 (permalink)
160 dB

lol u dont like my 1 run for the ground?

Air Ride:
5 Gallon Tank

Stereo:
4 15" Memphis M3
Flat Wall tuned at 40hz
150dB Daily Driver

Old 09-22-2006   #43 (permalink)

jracer is still in the green - This is good

can your amps handle 16 volts???
jracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006   #44 (permalink)
160 dB

O.o idk

I know if it cant. It can be modded.

Its just the 1 Orion 2500D

Air Ride:
5 Gallon Tank

Stereo:
4 15" Memphis M3
Flat Wall tuned at 40hz
150dB Daily Driver

Old 09-22-2006   #45 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBlazer01
Where could I get a HO Alt with the adjustable volt reg.?

Does EA have those or no?

Also could my Yellowtop handle the alt adjusted around 15.2?

Oh and i didnt say it yet. Thank you all for the information I've recieved so far!
According to scottie j, if you feed a yellowtop over 14.8v it releases some gas. Gas that cannot be replaced.

So i would suggest upgrading all your wiring and getting a 200+ amp alternator before you do anything else.

2007 MECA World Finalist

Old 09-22-2006   #46 (permalink)

Kay Ot Tek is still in the green - This is good

Wow, Sayar tried being smart and got PWNED....then he tried giving mad advice and ruining your blazer.

However, I don't find this surprising.
Kay Ot Tek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2006   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Ot Tek
Wow, Sayar tried being smart and got PWNED....then he tried giving mad advice and ruining your blazer.

However, I don't find this surprising.

eh he still hasnt learned to just stop talking sometimes
Old 09-22-2006   #48 (permalink)
160 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyk90
According to scottie j, if you feed a yellowtop over 14.8v it releases some gas. Gas that cannot be replaced.

So i would suggest upgrading all your wiring and getting a 200+ amp alternator before you do anything else.
Directly off of Optima's Site:

Alternator:
13.65 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery charger:
13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.

Cyclic Applications:
14.7 volts, no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). When current falls below 1 amp, finish with 3 amp constant current for 1 hour.

Rapid Recharge:
Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated).
Maximum current: No limit as long as temperature <125°F (51.7°C).
Maximum recharge time: Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

Float charge:
13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...cal_specs.html

But whatever. I know there are gases that release from the battery if they are over charged. But it does not happen at 14.8 volts. It happens at a much higher voltage as you can see by the above chart.

Anyway 15.2 volts was just a ball park number. Not an exact number. The point was that an alternator with an adjustable voltage regulator can provide xblazer with a bit more voltage then one with a non adjustable regulator.
Old 09-22-2006   #49 (permalink)
160 dB

Alright.................

So where can i get an adjustable one?

3rd time i've asked lol

Air Ride:
5 Gallon Tank

Stereo:
4 15" Memphis M3
Flat Wall tuned at 40hz
150dB Daily Driver

Old 09-23-2006   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Directly off of Optima's Site:

Alternator:
13.65 to 15.0 volts, no amperage limit.

Battery charger:
13.8 to 15.0 volts, 10 amps maximum, 6-12 hours approximate.

Cyclic Applications:
14.7 volts, no current limit as long as battery temperature remains below 125°F (51.7°C). When current falls below 1 amp, finish with 3 amp constant current for 1 hour.

Rapid Recharge:
Maximum voltage 15.6 volts (regulated).
Maximum current: No limit as long as temperature <125°F (51.7°C).
Maximum recharge time: Charge until current drops below 1 amp.

Float charge:
13.2 to 13.8 volts, 1 amp maximum current, time indefinite (at lower voltage).

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publi...cal_specs.html

But whatever. I know there are gases that release from the battery if they are over charged. But it does not happen at 14.8 volts. It happens at a much higher voltage as you can see by the above chart.

Anyway 15.2 volts was just a ball park number. Not an exact number. The point was that an alternator with an adjustable voltage regulator can provide xblazer with a bit more voltage then one with a non adjustable regulator.

there is a huge difference between a rapid recharge and the alternator or even cycle voltages. i wouldnt trust sending anything over 14.8 volts to that battery daily, and is it worth it for an extra .3 or .4 volts? no, he'd gain more than that with extra runs of wire.

oh and an adjustable voltage regulator can provide more voltage than a non adjustable regulator? thanks, cause im sure no one else here knew that. but hell, just send 22volts to the battery and see what it does.

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Accessories & Electrical