Strapping Amps - Realm of Excursion

Accessories & Electrical Alternators, Batteries, Tools & Sound Deadening

Old 11-04-2012   #1 (permalink)
120 dB

RE Derek is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...
Default Strapping Amps

So I'm new to multiple amp setups so i have a few questions before i go spend money, only to fry my ****. I understand how to strap 2 amps together but what confuses me is how its strapped at 2 ohms. I'll be buying 2 12's and was wondering if i should buy dual 1's or dual 2's. i want each amp to see 1 ohm as its only a daily setup. amps are going to be aq2200's and subs are looking like sundown z v2 12's as of now.
RE Derek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012   #2 (permalink)
140 dB

98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!
Default Re: Strapping Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE Derek View Post
So I'm new to multiple amp setups so i have a few questions before i go spend money, only to fry my ****. I understand how to strap 2 amps together but what confuses me is how its strapped at 2 ohms. I'll be buying 2 12's and was wondering if i should buy dual 1's or dual 2's. i want each amp to see 1 ohm as its only a daily setup. amps are going to be aq2200's and subs are looking like sundown z v2 12's as of now.
You want your final ohm load to be at 2 ohms. Since the amps are strapped they share the load. This means that if your final load is 2 ohms then each amp will see 1 ohm. If you Wire to 1 ohm then each amp will See 0.5 ohms.
98Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012   #3 (permalink)
150 dB

KingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
It sounds like you pretty much have it figured out. If you had just 1 amp you would want the 1 ohm load. If you have two amps together you would want a total load of 2 ohms so that each amp sees just 1. (2) D2 Subs wired in series/parallel will give you a 2 ohm load.

You may want to just pick up a AQ3500 instead of two 2200's. I'm not really sure why they call it a 3500 because its rated at 4300w at 1 ohm. Its only 100w less than a pair of 2200s which you wont hear at all and would be much easier then trying to strap 2 amps. Also with 1 amp you can get subs that Wire to 1 ohm instead so that if you ever want to change amps later you wont be stuck trying to find another 2 ohm solution.

Also I'm a little confused. Is the z v2 still offered. I thought it was just the v.3? If your buying new get the v.3 if buying used do you really have an option on what coils you want?
KingPen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012   #4 (permalink)
120 dB

the subs are used and are dual 1's. i don't think i'd get away with .5 to each amp on my electrical so maybe a 3500 would work better.
Old 11-04-2012   #5 (permalink)
150 dB

KingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
the subs are used and are dual 1's. i don't think i'd get away with .5 to each amp on my electrical so maybe a 3500 would work better.
Correct, a 3500 would be best. With D1's you have an option of 4ohm, 1 ohm, or .25 ohm. Within reason the only real answer is 1 ohm. If you put that on (2) 2200's you would be at .5 ohm per amp. So in my eyes, win win, a 3500 is the same about of Power with 1 less amp to worry about. That will be a great setup btw.
Old 11-04-2012   #6 (permalink)
150 dB

Also just some other words of wisdom. Make sure you have the electrical to support 4k. Thats a LOT of power that will require multiple batteries, more then one run of 1/0 and a high output alternator unless you plan on charging your batteries externally. Don't fry that nice equipment.
Old 11-04-2012   #7 (permalink)
120 dB

yes I plan on taking this build slow and doing it right. i already have the big 3 done and i was going to do 1 big deep cycle up front and 2 battery's where the spare tire sits. maybe yellow tops or something like that. if my voltage is droppin to 12.5 ill pick myself up a ho alt but i've heard of guys running 4000 on stock 110 amp alts.
Old 11-04-2012   #8 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
yes I plan on taking this build slow and doing it right. i already have the big 3 done and i was going to do 1 big deep cycle up front and 2 battery's where the spare tire sits. maybe yellow tops or something like that. if my voltage is droppin to 12.5 ill pick myself up a ho alt but i've heard of guys running 4000 on stock 110 amp alts.
Everyone that knows what youtube is has seen it done but most of the people that you see doing that aren't the brightest of the bunch. Think of your alt like a water hose filling a bucket. Your 110 is like a regular garden hose and is always running so long as there is a need for added power. Your 4k amp on the other side of the bucket is like a fire hose. The more your turn it up the more it pulls from that bucket and at higher volumes it can completely empty the bucket even with the garden hose filling all the time. The more and louder you play the more you need a bigger filling hose

Also for batteries I advise looking at xs power. It is more money but well worth the difference. A D3100 under the hood and a D3100 in the back would be a fair setup.
Old 11-04-2012   #9 (permalink)
120 dB

i'd love to go xs but after shipping and border fee's it $200+ what the battery actually costs. id much rather buy local. i think i shop might have kinetik betteries though. i could almost buy 2 yellowtops for the price of 1 hc2400 though. are they that much better?
Old 11-04-2012   #10 (permalink)
150 dB

I dont know about kinetik vs optima. A good person to ask would be Fallen. He's an electrical guru and lives in Canada.
Old 11-04-2012   #11 (permalink)
150 dB

matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarver1112 View Post
Everyone that knows what youtube is has seen it done but most of the people that you see doing that aren't the brightest of the bunch. Think of your alt like a water hose filling a bucket. Your 110 is like a regular garden hose and is always running so long as there is a need for added power. Your 4k amp on the other side of the bucket is like a fire hose. The more your turn it up the more it pulls from that bucket and at higher volumes it can completely empty the bucket even with the garden hose filling all the time. The more and louder you play the more you need a bigger filling hose

Also for batteries I advise looking at xs power. It is more money but well worth the difference. A D3100 under the hood and a D3100 in the back would be a fair setup.
this is kind of funny cause if you know what you are doing you can use just the stock alt but do not expect to play loud very long. i had my 2 memphis mcd-4kw's hooked up in my truck for a while on a stock alt but i had 700 amp hour of battery reserve never had any problems just could not listen to it full tilt all day watched my voltage like a hawk
stetsom 1k6es2 for 8 mp-8's
2 crescendo XST2 super tweeters
3 X 100 AH CSB batteries
stetsom vs400.4 for tweets
matt.u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012   #12 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.u View Post
this is kind of funny cause if you know what you are doing you can use just the stock alt but do not expect to play loud very long. i had my 2 memphis mcd-4kw's hooked up in my truck for a while on a stock alt but i had 700 amp hour of battery reserve never had any problems just could not listen to it full tilt all day watched my voltage like a hawk
That's exactly what I was referring to. Someone as yourself who know the "why" behind the electrical can safely do something like that. Knowing what to look for like voltage drop caused by depleted batteries is a prime example. Someone rather new might struggle to stay on top of things and eventually have problems.

I do want to caution you to one flaw of that concept though. Even though you manage to keep an eye on everything, one thing that cant be seen is how much your alternator is actually running. Alternators were not designed to have a 100% duty cycle. They were designed to kick on and off. By running it that much its generating excessive heat and wear that will likely cause failure over a period of time. It doesn't happen every time but the chances go way up. At which time its a good idea to invest in a HOA.
Old 11-04-2012   #13 (permalink)
150 dB

matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

yes i know all of this well i had an alt take a crep on me lol idc tho it was $25 bucks at a junk yard to replace it all i was doing is waiting on my 250 2nd alt to get here and was waiting on a bracket.
stetsom 1k6es2 for 8 mp-8's
2 crescendo XST2 super tweeters
3 X 100 AH CSB batteries
stetsom vs400.4 for tweets
matt.u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Accessories & Electrical