Knu Wire or this Welding cable - Page 2 - Realm of Excursion

Accessories & Electrical Alternators, Batteries, Tools & Sound Deadening

View Poll Results: Knukonceptz or Welding Wire
Knukonceptz 3 25.00%
Welding Wire 9 75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2013   #26 (permalink)
150 dB

KingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default Re: Knu Wire or this Welding cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by armykyle1 View Post
two runs of CCA will carry more current than one run of ofc and still come out cheaper.
but cca wast my precious energy in the form of heat and resistance. I know the welding cable and knu will transfer energy equally well per given amount of wire. I'm not sure the % but I'd rather not risk it personally.

Oh, and I have to by the shielding for the Wire for each run. That makes the price higher too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KingPen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013   #27 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPen View Post
As far as the CCA. I don't believe in using it because it tends to wast energy in the form of heat generation. Its ok for some I guess but I have over 10k watts on tap (soon to be 20k) and don't think cca really has a place in my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armykyle1 View Post
two runs of CCA will carry more current than one run of ofc and still come out cheaper.

run 25% more cca than ofc and you've offset the resistance that's causing the heat/voltage drop your talking about.

Quote:
but cca wast my precious energy in the form of heat and resistance. I know the welding cable and knu will transfer energy equally well per given amount of wire. I'm not sure the % but I'd rather not risk it personally.

Oh, and I have to by the shielding for the Wire for each run. That makes the price higher too.
no... 1 run of ofc 1/0 will waste more energy than 2 runs of cca 1/0.

That is all. to each their own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

profundus-sanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013   #28 (permalink)
Angry old man

Location: Las Vegas,1971-present,someday i'll retire in Idaho
sri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkem_10 View Post
Electrons flow on the exterior of the Wire IIRC and a higher strand count allows for more surface area for it to flow. It also helps with flexibility too.

Bingo,you are correct..... I really like Kicker 1/0, that is my preference, I do beleive it is the same as KNU but don't quote me on that...
Rockford Fosgate PPS4-6 mids
Image Dynamics XS-28 tweets
Hifonics GLX1000.1
2 Sundown E10's with a Pete designed enclosure...

sri3850341 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013   #29 (permalink)
150 dB

KingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by profundus-sanus View Post

run 25% more cca than ofc and you've offset the resistance that's causing the heat/voltage drop your talking about.

Do you have anything to support that claim. I'm not talking about resistance added by reaching the limits of the wire but rather the electrical properties of the conductor itself. Again I don't know to what degree it really matter I just know copper is a better conductor and cca will cost me more in the long run.

Old 02-17-2013   #30 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri3850341 View Post
Bingo,you are correct..... I really like Kicker 1/0, that is my preference, I do believe it is the same as KNU but don't quote me on that...
Knu is larger, I actually have both of them but there pretty close. I think the electric on the surface thing will only apply to ac current at high voltage and frequency, not 12v dc.

Old 02-17-2013   #31 (permalink)
130 dB

Dr.BeatGood has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Dr.BeatGood has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Dr.BeatGood has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Dr.BeatGood has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Dr.BeatGood has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Dr.BeatGood has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Dr.BeatGood has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Would I need to run CCA or OFC for 1500-2000rms? I'm thinking of getting either the KnuKonceptz Kolossus or KCA.

Previous Setups: 2 CVR15D4 on Hifonics Brutus 1000D @ 1ohm tuned to 35hz, 2 DD1508D4 @ 35hz on Hifonics Brutus 1500D, 2 GPV12D4s @ 33hz on DSC2000.1D, 1 GPV12D2 @ 33hz on HTG2600D, 1 RE SE15D2 2 cubes sealed on HTG2600D. RE SE15 [email protected] on Brutus 1000.

Current: Incriminator Death Penalty 12D2 on Skar SK-1500, 2ft^3 tuned 35.5hz
Dr.BeatGood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013   #32 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.BeatGood View Post
Would I need to run CCA or OFC for 1500-2000rms? I'm thinking of getting either the KnuKonceptz Kolossus or KCA.
From the looks of it, its a matter of preference. I personally only run ofc as stated above.

Old 02-17-2013   #33 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Do you have anything to support that claim. I'm not talking about resistance added by reaching the limits of the wire but rather the electrical properties of the conductor itself. Again I don't know to what degree it really matter I just know copper is a better conductor and cca will cost me more in the long run.
i posted a link to my sticky in this forum which has everything needed to support everything i've said.

Old 02-17-2013   #34 (permalink)
170 dB

Quote:
with 2krms @ 75% efficiency you're drawing around 185 amps. What size is your alternator and what batter(ies) do you have? generally i run either 100amps @ 20 feet of ofc max or 75amps over cca @ 20ft max.

Quote:
From the looks of it, its a matter of preference. I personally only run ofc as stated above.
Its only a matter of preference if you're one of the people that wont run cca.

Old 02-17-2013   #35 (permalink)
160 dB

666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

SGR 2/0 SAE J1127 EST-M1L118-A 19x70/30 BC BATTERY CABLE

Warning: I will more than likely offend you.

666WMD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013   #36 (permalink)
150 dB

The info I found in your links indicated it takes 59% more aluminium then copper for comparable resistance.

Capacity to carry a given current within a given temperature range is not the only factor, electrical resistance and efficiency are also factors.

By my calculations Knu KCA oversized 1/0 will carry 80% of the energy that a standard 1/0 welding cable will with the same electrical resistance. This is not a measure of how much but how much with equal efficiency.

Price for 50ft of KCA =97.99
Price for 50ft welding wire = 120

Price for comparable amount of KCA to maintain equal electrical resistance = $122.49.

Sorry I'm not one much to be blind-sided by quick numbers that someone throws out there. What these numbers actually mean, Dollar per dollar kca and welding wire do basically the same thing. The cca wire will obviously be bigger or need more runs though. On the other hand there is probably cheaper cca then KCA out there and you might save a few pennies but really its not worth having 3 runs of cca to 2 runs of ofc for me. Just my $.02.

Good information on your sticky though but there is more to it then what was discussed there.

Old 02-17-2013   #37 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Hmm, I could see how tinned might have an advantage but I don't see any of my wire being exposed to the elements. I use tinned terminals and solder then on then shrinkwrap them. Little if any water would have a chance getting in.

I checked out the difference between the size of the welding wire and the knu. Looks to me like its around 20% give or take. That would make the knu around $3.16 a foot compared to the $2.40 a foot of the same size welding wire. So price difference is still there but is not extreme. The knu is more of a 2/0 cable from the looks of it.

As far as the CCA. I don't believe in using it because it tends to wast energy in the form of heat generation. Its ok for some I guess but I have over 10k watts on tap (soon to be 20k) and don't think cca really has a place in my car.

I did run across one advantage to the Knu alternative. The one I was looking at uses a sgx cover which adds additional abrasion and heat resistance over the knu pvc. My runs are under the car so that's a big + for me.
Prime example when not to use CCA compared to an OFC.

Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013   #38 (permalink)
150 dB

Now that is a good find there sir. I'm sad that I just purchased a bunch of 1/0 terminals. O well guess I will trim the ends lol.

Old 02-17-2013   #39 (permalink)
130 dB

Dr.BeatGood has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Dr.BeatGood has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Dr.BeatGood has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Dr.BeatGood has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Dr.BeatGood has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Dr.BeatGood has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Dr.BeatGood has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Quote:
with 2krms @ 75% efficiency you're drawing around 185 amps. What size is your alternator and what batter(ies) do you have? generally i run either 100amps @ 20 feet of ofc max or 75amps over cca @ 20ft max.

Its only a matter of preference if you're one of the people that wont run cca.
My alternator is 160 amps and I will be running a second battery. I also have a single cab truck, so the wiring won't be very long. Could you recommend a second battery? Also, could I get by with one run of 1/O?

Previous Setups: 2 CVR15D4 on Hifonics Brutus 1000D @ 1ohm tuned to 35hz, 2 DD1508D4 @ 35hz on Hifonics Brutus 1500D, 2 GPV12D4s @ 33hz on DSC2000.1D, 1 GPV12D2 @ 33hz on HTG2600D, 1 RE SE15D2 2 cubes sealed on HTG2600D. RE SE15 [email protected] on Brutus 1000.

Old 02-17-2013   #40 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

This is all hit on in my sticky (electrical for dummies). There are benefits to both CCA, OFC. In Kingpen's case he's running 10K+. Which is a hell of a lot of runs of CCA and OFC (either way) but in His case its more advisable to run with OFC (can be welding wire or another brand) then CCA as over that much length OFC will result in less voltage loss per run then the equivalent CCA.

Yes CCA is cheaper and might be 20% larger (by picture). You still have to account for the efficiency of the components used. (CCA mix varies from 10-20% copper and the rest is Aluminum)

Now in my sticky there is a calculator I link that will calculate roughly (on paper real world results different) the voltage drop of ONE run of wire.

Old 02-17-2013   #41 (permalink)
150 dB

This is $136 shipped to my door where knu is around $200. They are the same size... this wins lol

Old 02-17-2013   #42 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
My alternator is 160 amps and I will be running a second battery. I also have a single cab truck, so the wiring won't be very long. Could you recommend a second battery? Also, could I get by with one run of 1/O?
With the power your looking at you can go either CCA or OFC. Your not pushing enough power to notice a big enough difference between the two. Now if you were running say 3500+ I would say look at OFC over longer runs.

With that alt a decent AGM up front (biggest you can fit), big 3 will be fine. Don't see a need for a second battery, Unless you decided to go with smaller AGM's then yes.

Old 02-17-2013   #43 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:

Ohhh come on. Of course its true, its true in every aspect, but your changing the characteristics of the run of wire.

That two runs of CCA can be classified as one run of 2/0

Last edited by Beckerson1; 02-17-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2013   #44 (permalink)
130 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckerson1 View Post
With the power your looking at you can go either CCA or OFC. Your not pushing enough power to notice a big enough difference between the two. Now if you were running say 3500+ I would say look at OFC over longer runs.

With that alt a decent AGM up front (biggest you can fit), big 3 will be fine. Don't see a need for a second battery, Unless you decided to go with smaller AGM's then yes.
Could you recommend a good budget battery? Here's the equivalent stock battery.

Duralast Platinum/Battery (H7-AGM) | 2012 Dodge RAM 1500 Sport 2WD 8 Cylinders T 5.7L SFI Hemi OHV | AutoZone.com

Old 02-17-2013   #45 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Ohhh come on. Not even a valid statement there. Of course its true, its true in every aspect, but your changing the characteristics of the run of wire.

That two runs of CCA can be classified as one run of 2/0
Actually technically he is right. 2 runs of cca vs 1 run of ofc and the cca should win out. But I dont think I can buy cca for half the price of welding cable so it doesnt really matter. As well each of my runs is house in a $25 conduit which really doesn't pay off at 2:1....

Old 02-17-2013   #46 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
This is $136 shipped to my door where knu is around $200. They are the same size... this wins lol
Have any hardware shops around you?

Old 02-17-2013   #47 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Have any hardware shops around you?
Ya Y. i already have 20 1/0 tinned terminals so I'm ok there.

Old 02-17-2013   #48 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Actually technically he is right. 2 runs of cca vs 1 run of ofc and the cca should win out. But I dont think I can buy cca for half the price of welding cable so it doesnt really matter. As well each of my runs is house in a $25 conduit which really doesn't pay off at 2:1....
I fully agree with you. He is correct in his statement. But as I stated your changing the characteristics of the run. More surface area will always win out in this case

Old 02-17-2013   #49 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Could you recommend a good budget battery? Here's the equivalent stock battery.

Duralast Platinum/Battery (H7-AGM) | 2012 Dodge RAM 1500 Sport 2WD 8 Cylinders T 5.7L SFI Hemi OHV | AutoZone.com
What you will need to do is figure out what the max dims you can fit into the stock location.

I would look at Diehard's platinum line.

Old 02-17-2013   #50 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Ya Y. i already have 20 1/0 tinned terminals so I'm ok there.
For wire.

Usually your home hardware stores, not really the name brand stores will carry it. Family owned

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Accessories & Electrical