Knu Wire or this Welding cable - Page 3 - Realm of Excursion

Accessories & Electrical Alternators, Batteries, Tools & Sound Deadening

View Poll Results: Knukonceptz or Welding Wire
Knukonceptz 3 25.00%
Welding Wire 9 75.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2013   #51 (permalink)
150 dB

KingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default Re: Knu Wire or this Welding cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckerson1 View Post
I fully agree with you. He is correct in his statement. But as I stated your changing the characteristics of the run. More surface area will always win out in this case
Yep based on my calculations for the characteristics to be similar its a 1:1.59 ratio copper:aluminium. Meaning aluminium can be used as a copper substitution of you provide 59% more aluminium. At audio grade ofc prices the aluminium may have a slight edge, when compared to the welding Wire or battery wire from these other sites there is no real edge and I'd rather have the fewer runs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KingPen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013   #52 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPen View Post
Yep based on my calculations for the characteristics to be similar its a 1:1.59 ratio copper:aluminium. Meaning aluminium can be used as a copper substitution of you provide 59% more aluminium. At audio grade ofc prices the aluminium may have a slight edge, when compared to the welding wire or battery wire from these other sites there is no real edge and I'd rather have the fewer runs.
Yep. Completely agree

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013   #53 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Here is the link to my thread.

http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/ac...l-dummies.html

By no means is it a bible for electrical and by no means am I a person with a PHD in car audio electrical but feel this is a great thread showing the differences between OFC and CCA. There are times to look at using one or the other and when not to use.

I suggest, highly suggest reading it. As long as the other stickies as they all have great information in them

Last edited by Beckerson1; 02-17-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Old 02-17-2013   #54 (permalink)
160 dB

armykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

CCA is not all aluminum. That listed welding lead, looks like a low strand count like the one in the OP. Same thing applies to what I said before.

Kicker is probably my favorite wire too. Super flexible and tightly wrapped unlike a lot of wire now days. Knu is great, but it's pretty loose in the Jacket.

I've used welding lead one time. I won't do it again.

Youtube-
armykyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013   #55 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Ohhh come on. Not even a valid statement there. Of course its true, its true in every aspect, but your changing the characteristics of the run of wire.

That two runs of CCA can be classified as one run of 2/0
please explain how its invalid?

I'm quite curious. 2 runs of cca is the same price(or less with some companies) than 1 run of ofc. Seems like a fair comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armykyle1 View Post
CCA is not all aluminum.
correct. its usually copper coated(@ around 10% total makeup being copper) which provides it with a better contact than bare aluminum, as well as making it a more efficient conductor than bare aluminum.

Quote:
Yep based on my calculations for the characteristics to be similar its a 1:1.59 ratio copper:aluminium. Meaning aluminium can be used as a copper substitution of you provide 59% more aluminium. At audio grade ofc prices the aluminium may have a slight edge, when compared to the welding wire or battery wire from these other sites there is no real edge and I'd rather have the fewer runs.
Wire Chart

the national electric code rates the conductivity of pure copper wire @ 25% better than copper clad aluminum.

not sure where your info was sourced.

Last edited by profundus-sanus; 02-17-2013 at 06:40 PM.
profundus-sanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013   #56 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by armykyle1 View Post
CCA is not all aluminum. That listed welding lead, looks like a low strand count like the one in the OP. Same thing applies to what I said before.

Kicker is probably my favorite wire too. Super flexible and tightly wrapped unlike a lot of wire now days. Knu is great, but it's pretty loose in the Jacket.

I've used welding lead one time. I won't do it again.
CCA isn't all Aluminum, that's correct, its a mix of aluminum and copper making it as Pro stated a better conductor then plain Aluminum. (depending on manufacture its usually between 10-20% copper mix)

Its still less efficient then OFC.

Old 02-17-2013   #57 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Its still less efficient then OFC.
i just want to point out, nobody has argued that point one time in this entire thread. I've also made several statements proving thats true even.

Old 02-17-2013   #58 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by profundus-sanus View Post
please explain how its invalid?

I'm quite curious. 2 runs of cca is the same price(or less with some companies) than 1 run of ofc. Seems like a fair comparison.

As I stated in the second sentence its completely a true statement. Jumped the gun didn't edit.

Ya its fair when looking at price ALONE...

I can't speak for everyone around me. But when running 10K+. I see OFC most used as with this amount of power the inefficiency of CCA IS noticeable.

EDIT: Fixed post

Last edited by Beckerson1; 02-17-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2013   #59 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
i just want to point out, nobody has argued that point one time in this entire thread. I've also made several statements proving thats true even.
As have I

Anyway not to derail the thread more then I have

Last edited by Beckerson1; 02-17-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-17-2013   #60 (permalink)
160 dB

SINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Might change your mind about using cca

Wire comparison with thermal camera feat. Garry Springgay at Cogent Audio Labs - YouTube

Welding wire is not hard to work with.. kyle is just being a puss

Welding wire all the way man. and a properly done ofc electrical system should never corrode...
Ohio Gen 300 amp alt
SKBT100.. (might be replaced with NSB90)
97 Tahoe LT
SINTORMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013   #61 (permalink)
170 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINTORMAN View Post
Might change your mind about using cca

Wire comparison with thermal camera feat. Garry Springgay at Cogent Audio Labs - YouTube

Welding wire is not hard to work with.. kyle is just being a puss

Welding wire all the way man. and a properly done ofc electrical system should never corrode...
yea that guy is running about 10x more current than should ever be ran through that wire.

if you hit the point where the wire can barely handle the current it will heat. the more heat will increase resistance, therfor causing more heat. if he would have ran a normal amount of current(20a or so) you would have saw a marginal temp difference at best.

Old 02-17-2013   #62 (permalink)
160 dB

SINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
yea that guy is running about 10x more current than should ever be ran through that wire.
so? The difference is still pretty noteworthy.

EDIT: I think the difference would still be as big. I would just take longer to achieve that heat.

EDIT: EDIT: where does he say in the video how much current is being drawn?
Ohio Gen 300 amp alt
97 Tahoe LT
Old 02-17-2013   #63 (permalink)
150 dB

KingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Wire Chart

the national electric code rates the conductivity of pure copper wire @ 25% better than copper clad aluminum.

not sure where your info was sourced.
I did the math. Happy to break it all down for you if you would like.

On 10% copper 90% alu it would be a 1:1.43 ratio

Old 02-17-2013   #64 (permalink)
150 dB

Kind of funny, the thread was really welding wire vs high dollar ofc.

I think everyone jumped on this because the way Pro worded things it sounded like he was saying CCA is a good alternative to OFC. The rest of us I think agree but wanted to point out that its not as cost effective as it looks on the surface. All in all I think everyone gets the point though.

Old 02-17-2013   #65 (permalink)
160 dB

Quote:
Kind of funny, the thread was really welding wire vs high dollar ofc.

I think everyone jumped on this because the way Pro worded things it sounded like he was saying CCA is a good alternative to OFC. The rest of us I think agree but wanted to point out that its not as cost effective as it looks on the surface. All in all I think everyone gets the point though.
I don't.. Go ofc or go home lol
Ohio Gen 300 amp alt
97 Tahoe LT
Old 02-17-2013   #66 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINTORMAN View Post
I don't.. Go ofc or go home lol
Haha well it's an easy choice for me because I'd rather have 6 runs then 9

Old 02-17-2013   #67 (permalink)
140 dB

97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

i have never been a fan of aluminum, removed alot out of homes....won't touch the stuff
if they want to keep the old i don't work on it.....simple
what is your estimated current draw gonna be?

good luck on your journey
take care and have fun
97_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013   #68 (permalink)
150 dB

A lot lol. There will be up to 320 from the alt to the rear. So 2 1/0 runs should suffice. When starting it will be about 800 from rear to front. No starting battery. 2 2/0 will be plenty. Could get by with 1/0 but the 2/0 is cheap

Old 02-18-2013   #69 (permalink)
130 dB

Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Not as a suggestion for you to use but do you think this is much better than CCA? Not price wise just the claimed ampacity on it is the same as the OFC from them.

AudioTechnix 30% OFC instead of 10-20% and 11.5mm outside diameter --> 415 sq mm

AudioTechnix OFC 10.2mm ouside diameter --> 325 sq mm
SAZ-1500 V1
Pos & Neg FA 2/0
SSA Gcon 12 in 3 cubes at 29Hz

Quote:
Ni I'm trying to get him arrested for theft cause that much moofer for that price is an out right steal
Squeezumz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013   #70 (permalink)
150 dB

see the direct comparison between those two is probably pretty close. Without doing the math I would say the high copper content + the added diameter would make the cca only 10% +/- capable as the ofc. That doesn't mean you can't get thicker ofc for less $ though.

Old 02-18-2013   #71 (permalink)
140 dB

97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

were the cost the same or removed as a factor copper is a better conductor.

good luck on your journey
take care and have fun
97_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013   #72 (permalink)
120 dB

onefast68 is still in the green - This is good

i went with the wire you posted in the 1st post...fills the 1/0 connectors perfectly..i used 2 100ft rolls though.....same place sells it for 220shipped for a 100ft roll.
american bass 1100.
pioneer 6x9's and 6 1/2's and 6 5in ab midbass on a ab sq925
10 batteries/980ah
220amp and 136amp alternators
it all = one loud farm truck
154.5 on a burp at 36hz
onefast68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013   #73 (permalink)
140 dB

Slobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersSlobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersSlobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

Quote:
where did you find that?
A local company called AeroGas. It is a welding supply store. They had everything from 8G up to 0000 and it went into inch sizes from there to 3.5" thick. I don't know if the inch rating is the proper way to do it but apparently everything above 0000 they make in house.
Slobalt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013   #74 (permalink)
160 dB

armykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

waste your money on ofc then. I'm only using ofc on my amps.

Youtube-
Old 02-18-2013   #75 (permalink)
160 dB

this thread makes me want to punch a baby.

wait... eat a baby.

Youtube-

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Accessories & Electrical