Planning on running around 5k watts, what electrical? - Realm of Excursion

Accessories & Electrical Alternators, Batteries, Tools & Sound Deadening

Old 08-14-2013   #1 (permalink)
130 dB

Based has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersBased has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members
Default Planning on running around 5k watts, what electrical?

I'm planning on doing 2 Zv3 18s on one 4500, with my front stage getting around 300, so I need to know what do I have to do to be able to run 5kw rms.

I know I need a more high output alt, but how much of an output? 270? 300? Also how many batteries do I need and what size? Can I just replace the one I already have in the front and not have to put one in my cab? Thanks guys.
Based is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2013   #2 (permalink)
140 dB

nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!
Default Re: Planning on running around 5k watts, what electrical?

Rule of thumb is rms Power divided by ten then subtract alternator amperage from that to get the number of amp hours you will need. So for you 5k/10=500 then 500-270=230 so that's approximately how many amp hours of battery support you will need like I said its a good rule of thumb not exact a little overkill never hurts either.
~/ member #4 \~
Car:2004 Grand Prix
H/U:B Clarion CZ702
Wires: 6 Runs Electron Beam 2/0
Batteries: Juicebox Lithium 40ah
Amp: Flatline BA2 7k
Substage: Custom Fi N3 15's
nkrell11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013   #3 (permalink)
130 dB

Based has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersBased has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrell11 View Post
Rule of thumb is rms Power divided by ten then subtract alternator amperage from that to get the number of amp hours you will need. So for you 5k/10=500 then 500-270=230 so that's approximately how many amp hours of battery support you will need like I said its a good rule of thumb not exact a little overkill never hurts either.
is amp hours the same as amps?

Old 08-14-2013   #4 (permalink)
140 dB

nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

I don't believe so there is cranking amps, amp hours, regular amps it generally says how many amp hours in the specifications section.
~/ member #4 \~
Old 08-14-2013   #5 (permalink)
130 dB

Quote:
I don't believe so there is cranking amps, amp hours, regular amps it generally says how many amp hours in the specifications section.
So the bigger the alternator, the less amp hours I need? At least that's how it looks to me...
Old 08-14-2013   #6 (permalink)
160 dB

666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

I've noticed a lot in car audio the "general rule of thumb" is generally bad advice when no information is given. What electrical you need is all dependent on how you intend on using it. A 250-300amp alt and 200-300ah of batteries would be fine if you only play full tilt while driving, but as soon as you drop to idle your voltage will drop like a rock. It wouldn't be enough if you want to compete. You'd be looking at dual alts and 500ah of batts or supercaps for competing.

Warning: I will more than likely offend you.

666WMD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013   #7 (permalink)
140 dB

I didn't say it was perfect J it's a good place to start I think what you said would be overkill even for comps but maybe I'm wrong if it was me I'd start with a 270 amp alt plus 2 xs 3100's or something similar monitor voltage and go from there.

Edit: I got this rule of thumb from the ask trade thread so it's from a somewhat reliable source, the 3100's were on top of the under hood battery as well.
~/ member #4 \~
Old 08-14-2013   #8 (permalink)
130 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666WMD View Post
I've noticed a lot in car audio the "general rule of thumb" is generally bad advice when no information is given. What electrical you need is all dependent on how you intend on using it. A 250-300amp alt and 200-300ah of batteries would be fine if you only play full tilt while driving, but as soon as you drop to idle your voltage will drop like a rock. It wouldn't be enough if you want to compete. You'd be looking at dual alts and 500ah of batts or supercaps for competing.
I'd hate to see how much electrical steve meade has to run....

To what you said about playing idle, is that why some guys rev their engines when demoing?

Last edited by Based; 08-14-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2013   #9 (permalink)
140 dB

98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Based View Post
I'd hate to see how much electrical steve meade has to run....

To what you said about playing idle, is that why some guys rev their engines when demoing?
Yes that is why. Most HO alts will not do their maximum output at idle rpms.
98Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013   #10 (permalink)
160 dB

666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Personally I don't think there is such a thing as overkill when you're running $2500 worth of subs and amp.

Warning: I will more than likely offend you.

666WMD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013   #11 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

a 270a 6phase alternator and 200ah of battery power will be sufficient. You'll need 4 to 6 runs of 1/0 to properly transport all of that current from the front of the vehicle to the rear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

profundus-sanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013   #12 (permalink)
130 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by profundus-sanus View Post
a 270a 6phase alternator and 200ah of battery power will be sufficient. You'll need 4 to 6 runs of 1/0 to properly transport all of that current from the front of the vehicle to the rear.
So one XS Power D3100 for the main battery, and another one in the back, a Mechman 270, and a lot of 0 gauge.

How the **** do I fit 5 runs of 0 gauge into my amp?
Old 08-14-2013   #13 (permalink)
140 dB

You run all your runs to the back battery most likely 2-3 positive and negative. Fuse the positive ones before the rear battery and then run from the battery to the amp fuse on between battery and amp as well.
~/ member #4 \~
Old 08-14-2013   #14 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

You could look at running 3/0 between front an rear. Also an option

You would just need two runs of that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013   #15 (permalink)
130 dB

Now I'm looking at batteries and the d3100 has less crank amps and amp hours than the Kinetic HC2400, but the d3100 has more max amps. Which one should I choose if I were to run two of them? Do the combined max amps have to be the max watts I plan on running? Or is that something totally unrelated?

Specs of both batteries:

D3100:

Cranking Amps: 1360
Maximum Output: 5000 Amps
Amp Hours: 110

HC2400:

Max amps: 2600
Cranking amps: 1700
Amp Hours: 128
Old 08-14-2013   #16 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

battery ratings are pretty much worthless
the xs d3100 is as strong as a kinetik hc3800

profundus-sanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013   #17 (permalink)
130 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by profundus-sanus View Post
battery ratings are pretty much worthless
the xs d3100 is as strong as a kinetik hc3800
So do cranking amps matter? Did I have it right in saying that max amps should = max watts?
Old 08-14-2013   #18 (permalink)
130 dB

Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Unless your using them as your main starting batt no cranking amps don't matter. Amp hours is a standardized rating and max amps is a rating companies can define as what they choose. Don't quote me on that but pretty sure its right.

Just for comparison I live in ND, where its cold as ****, and my battery has 700 CCA and starts my car no problem in the dead of winter
SAZ-1500 V1
Pos & Neg FA 2/0
SSA Gcon 12 in 3 cubes at 29Hz

Quote:
Ni I'm trying to get him arrested for theft cause that much moofer for that price is an out right steal
Squeezumz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013   #19 (permalink)
130 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezumz View Post
Unless your using them as your main starting batt no cranking amps don't matter. Amp hours is a standardized rating and max amps is a rating companies can define as what they choose. Don't quote me on that but pretty sure its right.

Just for comparison I live in ND, where its cold as ****, and my battery has 700 CCA and starts my car no problem in the dead of winter
Oh ok I get it now. Thanks!

Now, where should I fuse and how big of a fuse do I need? I'm gonna be running 1 d3100 for my main and another in the back, using a 270a mechman. I'm using a sundown saz 4500d. I know I'm going to have to rewire my power wire for the amp so I'm gonna have to get a fuse for that too...

I really know nothing about fuses.
Old 08-15-2013   #20 (permalink)
140 dB

Fuse to the carrying capacity of your wire 12-18 inches from each battery on your positive runs.
~/ member #4 \~
Old 08-15-2013   #21 (permalink)
130 dB

Quote:
Fuse to the carrying capacity of your wire 12-18 inches from each battery on your positive runs.
So for a run of 1/0 from the main to the secondary battery, I'll need a 325a fuse near each of them. Now what if I'm running like 5 runs of it? Does that mean I need a 1600a fuse? A fuse on each run?

The saz 4500 calls for a 500 amp fuse, but I can't find any that big so can I just use two 250's?
Old 08-15-2013   #22 (permalink)
160 dB

Burkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Based View Post
So for a run of 1/0 from the main to the secondary battery, I'll need a 325a fuse near each of them. Now what if I'm running like 5 runs of it? Does that mean I need a 1600a fuse? A fuse on each run?

The saz 4500 calls for a 500 amp fuse, but I can't find any that big so can I just use two 250's?
Each run gets its own fuse. You wouldn't ever want to run a saz 4500 on a single run of 1/0 so that's why no one even makes 500a fuses - the wire can only handle about 300a if it's pure copper. So, 250a per run would do the trick.
Cadence ZRS-C9
HAT Imagine 6.5s active
Rockford Fosgate 360.3
Burkem_10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013   #23 (permalink)
130 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkem_10 View Post
Each run gets its own fuse. You wouldn't ever want to run a saz 4500 on a single run of 1/0 so that's why no one even makes 500a fuses - the wire can only handle about 300a if it's pure copper. So, 250a per run would do the trick.
So between the two batteries, am I just worried about the load of the amp or the load of the batteries? If its just the load of the amp I'm thinkin that 2 runs of 1/0 would work with a 250a fuse on each run?
Old 08-15-2013   #24 (permalink)
140 dB

I'm sorry I don't understand what you're asking exactly maybe I'm slow today.
~/ member #4 \~
Old 08-15-2013   #25 (permalink)
130 dB

Quote:
I'm sorry I don't understand what you're asking exactly maybe I'm slow today.
Like I know that because my amp draws 500 amps I need two runs of 1/0 gauge (assuming 300a per wire) with a 250 amp fuse on each run from the secondary battery to the amp. Now how do I figure out what I need between the two batteries?

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Accessories & Electrical