Voltage problems??? - Realm of Excursion

Accessories & Electrical Alternators, Batteries, Tools & Sound Deadening

Old 09-27-2014   #1 (permalink)
120 dB

swervinmylac is still in the green - This is good
Default Voltage problems???

Alright so i finally got my system installed. As of now im running 4 15 inch woofers and 8 speakers for mids/highs. This is all in a 99 Suburban...

amps are: 4 total

x2 audiopipe 3000d amps (200A per amp)
soundqubed Q2-200 (80A)
precision Power ppi bk520.4 (80A)

i also have an agm batt under the hood and two more agm batts in the back with a 180a/320a Singer alt. Big 3 done in 0 guage ofc but i have a single run of 0 gauge cca from font batt to back batts... The shop i went to put in a 200A isolator for the rear batts and the batts are not wired together. They each have there own 0 gauge run. Grounds are run to random bolts in the rear. Each batt is connected to one sub amp and one mids amp... It took about 8 hrs to install but man this thing SLAMS!!! We played it for a few mins at the shop about half tilt with no dimming or anything at idle... On the way home i happened to look at my trucks built in volt meter and it was reading under 12v. I turned the subs off and just played the highs all the way home which was a 40 min drive on the freeway because i figured the batts needed a charge. I checked voltage with a dmm when i got home and the alt was at 13.8v-14v with the stereo off and the front batt was at 12.4v.... Let it sit overnight and this morning i took a reading with the Car off and i was at 12.8v on the front batt and the rear batts... Started the truck and voltage was at 12.7v on all 3 batts... Drove about 20 mins to warm up the truck and then took another reading with the radio on and truck idling, Voltage was at 12.5. The subs were on but the radio was turned down because i was in a business parking lot and didnt want to disturb... My question is does this seem ok with the batts never going into the 13s or 14s. By the way they are all duralast platinum agm batts... Havent had any dimming or anything yet but then again i have yet to play loudly for any extended period of time...

sorry for wall of text
swervinmylac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2014   #2 (permalink)
150 dB

KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!
Default Re: Voltage problems???

OK looks like you need more batteries for sure...them ap3000d 's will pull near 300 amps each at full tilt you got a lot of amperage you need to feed and that isolator isn't needed unless you play your system when the car is off....and get rid of the CCA wire...it adds resistance and contributes to voltage drop and you need to add ground runs from body to frame in back since everything is grounded to the body in back....and check all connections to make sure there to bare metal not painted metal....if you we're close to me I'd be happy to take a look but no idea where you are

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

subscribe for memphis area car audio stuff....or if you need some car audio work done in memphis area just PM me
KickinBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2014   #3 (permalink)
120 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickinBlazer View Post
OK looks like you need more batteries for sure...them ap3000d 's will pull near 300 amps each at full tilt you got a lot of amperage you need to feed and that isolator isn't needed unless you play your system when the car is off....and get rid of the CCA wire...it adds resistance and contributes to voltage drop and you need to add ground runs from body to frame in back since everything is grounded to the body in back....and check all connections to make sure there to bare metal not painted metal....if you we're close to me I'd be happy to take a look but no idea where you are

Hey thanks for the insight. i tried to do everything i could as far as electrical goes but i guess i missed a few things. would 1 or two more batts cover it? i dont play the system with the car off. i barely even turn up the volumn... i figured i didnt need the isolator, i will have to get it removed and try to just run all the batts together... i will also try to go over my grounds as well. I see your in Memphis, a bit too far for a meet up since im in Dallas. but do you happen to know anyone in the Dallas area?

Old 09-27-2014   #4 (permalink)
150 dB

KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

My cousin lives in Dallas but sadly the car audio gene missed him...but yea is the wire commming from the front battery to the isolator and from there back CCA?....if so just remove the entire wire and isolator and run a fresh run of off with a 300 or 350 amp fuse on it to back

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

subscribe for memphis area car audio stuff....or if you need some car audio work done in memphis area just PM me
Old 09-27-2014   #5 (permalink)
120 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickinBlazer View Post
My cousin lives in Dallas but sadly the car audio gene missed him...but yea is the wire commming from the front battery to the isolator and from there back CCA?....if so just remove the entire wire and isolator and run a fresh run of off with a 300 or 350 amp fuse on it to back

yes the 0 gauge in there now goes from batt to isolator and then from isolator to rear batts... i just ordered more 0 gauge (ofc this time) and it will be here in a few days. would it be beneficial to remove the isolator and just add on to the 0 gauge i have (multiple runs)?
Old 09-27-2014   #6 (permalink)
150 dB

Remove the isolator And replace it with a Run of ofc And a 350 or 300 amp fuse And add another run down the road bro

Old 09-27-2014   #7 (permalink)
120 dB

ok. Thanks again for the help. Will post updates once i get it done
Old 09-27-2014   #8 (permalink)
150 dB

OK cool bro....Easy fix bro more batteries in back get rid of CCA and add grounds

Old 09-29-2014   #9 (permalink)
150 dB

little-kid-wit-bass has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!little-kid-wit-bass has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!little-kid-wit-bass has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!little-kid-wit-bass has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!little-kid-wit-bass has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!little-kid-wit-bass has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!little-kid-wit-bass has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!little-kid-wit-bass has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Farad cap add's mad deebee'z yo

Team BangGang
little-kid-wit-bass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2014   #10 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by little-kid-wit-bass View Post
Farad cap add's mad deebee'z yo
Lmao

Old 09-29-2014   #11 (permalink)
150 dB

matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

Kind of sounds to me the isolator is messing it up
stetsom 1k6es2 for 8 mp-8's
2 crescendo XST2 super tweeters
3 X 100 AH CSB batteries
stetsom vs400.4 for tweets
matt.u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2014   #12 (permalink)
120 dB

Thanks for all the help. finally got the correct voltage going. I removed the isolator, wired all three batts together, and now i have double runs of 0 gauge for positive and negative. On my H/u i can turn it up to 25 out of 62 while driving. (havent gone any louder because i cant take it . throat starts to hurt lol)... But im putting out a good amount of pressure at that volume and my voltage stays around 14v... when idling my voltage drops to around 13.2 at that volume but i turn it down at lights so im not worried. ive done 40 min drives at that volume all the way with no voltage drops or problems. i think it was the isolator but ill never know.

Side note: a lot of shops seem to have issues with doing double runs of 0 gauge and not using an isolator. dont know what that ish is about but i guess it all worked out.

Thanks again guys
Old 10-04-2014   #13 (permalink)
150 dB

matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

the thing to always consider the more connections you have in your power and ground wires the more resistance you will have.
stetsom 1k6es2 for 8 mp-8's
2 crescendo XST2 super tweeters
3 X 100 AH CSB batteries
stetsom vs400.4 for tweets
matt.u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2014   #14 (permalink)
150 dB

southerntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

just curious I don't think it said anywhere in this thread what kind of 15 s do you have?
Head Unit Pioneer DEH8300SD
Singer 275 (320 peak) Amp H.O. Alt.
Stinger OFC 0GA Power Wire & 0GA Knu Koncepts Kolassus
SSA dual inputs & terminal Distribution blocks
Big 4 done (OFC)
Extra Stinger Agm Batt. X2 (Three total)
4.5cf. Aeroported Enclosure Tuning:32HZ
southerntrendkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014   #15 (permalink)
140 dB

97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

x2 as matt stated above
that resistance from the isolator i believe limits the charge of the batteries as well as adds to the line resistance while playing.
was a good idea to remove the isolator.

as for the isloator installs....i believe that they do it so that those with stereos are able to play em while the car is off, what they aren't considering is that if you drain that battery down and then start the car the alt is going to be working very hard to bring that battery back to full charge.

good luck on your journey
take care and have fun
97_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2014   #16 (permalink)
120 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.u View Post
the thing to always consider the more connections you have in your power and ground wires the more resistance you will have.
ive read this somewhere before but never paid attention to it because it never came up as an issue before. all of my older systems didnt require double runs or extra batts. just a 0 guage run and some 4 gauge to the amps. Will be reading up on this more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntrendkill View Post
just curious I don't think it said anywhere in this thread what kind of 15 s do you have?
Im running 4 soundqubed HdS315's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_eldo View Post
x2 as matt stated above
that resistance from the isolator i believe limits the charge of the batteries as well as adds to the line resistance while playing.
was a good idea to remove the isolator.

as for the isloator installs....i believe that they do it so that those with stereos are able to play em while the car is off, what they aren't considering is that if you drain that battery down and then start the car the alt is going to be working very hard to bring that battery back to full charge.
i knew it probably was going to be a problem once i looked at it after the install. It was rated for 200A. My alt is 320A...used a dmm and the alt was putting out 13.8v-14v but the batt just wouldnt charge. when i had the truck running the batt voltage was at 11.8 with no accessories. but when i turned the truck off it would rise back up to 12.4 within a few mins. I didnt even think i needed an isolator since i knew i would never be playing with the truck off... When i got it rewired i literally had to draw a picture of how i wanted it and i had to walk to the back of the shop to make sure they took off the isolator because they wanted to keep it in. My power and grounds are now run underneath the vehicle and come up through the floor as the installer didnt want to run it under the carpet. lol the whole thing was like pulling teeth

just glad i got it working.
Old 10-05-2014   #17 (permalink)
140 dB

97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

glad to hear that the problem is resolved.
thanx for updating us on how things went, much appreciated.

good luck on your journey
take care and have fun
97_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Accessories & Electrical