amperage draw? - Realm of Excursion

Amplifiers Discuss anything about amplifiers.

Old 05-28-2008   #1 (permalink)
130 dB

Muskyhunter5675 is still in the green - This is good
Default amperage draw?

i have two hifonics 1606D amps in my Car both DMM gain set to 40v each, there 1600 watt in 1 ohm, and my cap has a ameter on it, and its only drawing like mid 30s on music, for both amps, this seems really low to me, and the subs sound nice but there only super loud when i crank test tones, otherwise they just kinda fill in the bass, how close do i have to be to the 40v on my amps? how much more can i go? cause i know distortion is bad, but how much can my gear take? i have two 15" L7s also

2003 subaru forester, getting out of SPL (for now) and trying to get into SQ, need everything, let me know, trying to get rid of all my SPL gear,

kenwood kdc 994
jl tr650 coax all around, mmm lame
Muskyhunter5675 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008   #2 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

what else does your electrical consist of?

what db tone did you set your gains w/?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

profundus-sanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008   #3 (permalink)
150 dB

creyc has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum memberscreyc has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum memberscreyc has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

Try setting it by ear first.

Turn the gains down first then turn the head deck up as loud as you ever listen to it, as long as its not distorting. (around 3/4 volume usually)

Then with the volume here, either play a gains-setting track (like the one on the team toxic bass - radiation CD) or a 0-3dB test tone around 50Hz. With the subs connected, slowly turn your gain up until you begin to hear distortion (clipping) and then back it down. Test out a few 'loud' songs to make sure you don't need to turn it back any further but you should be all set then!

For the heck of it, afterwards you can pull the Speaker wires and measure the voltage on your DMM.
creyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008   #4 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by creyc View Post
Try setting it by ear first.

Turn the gains down first then turn the head deck up as loud as you ever listen to it, as long as its not distorting. (around 3/4 volume usually)

Then with the volume here, either play a gains-setting track (like the one on the team toxic bass - radiation CD) or a 0-3dB test tone around 50Hz. With the subs connected, slowly turn your gain up until you begin to hear distortion (clipping) and then back it down. Test out a few 'loud' songs to make sure you don't need to turn it back any further but you should be all set then!

For the heck of it, afterwards you can pull the Speaker wires and measure the voltage on your DMM.
he has to gain match 2 amps.... imo just throwing in a -6 db tone would be the best idea... instead of trying to match 2 amps/subs by ear at the same time.

Or.. if you readily have a 0 db tone and not a -6 db tone, just double your intended output voltage..

although i wouldn't suggest setting that to the full 1600, as those amps may have trouble producing that and those subs may have trouble taking that.

I'd set your gains to 75v on a 0db tone... which is around 1400 watts..

on to explaining why your only getting ~35 amps of draw. if you did infact set your gains @ 0db then your only getting about 400 watts out of each of your amps, since most music is recorded around -6 db.. so 800 watts total output / .75 to factor efficiency = ~1050(choosing nice numbers) 1050 / 14v = 75 amps of draw.

which your not even touching. w/ 35 amps of draw your only creating around 350-400 watts total. Shows you how even farther off the 0 db is. Although the cap may be effecting your amperage draw.. Lowering it slightly...it can't supply near that much current. Your gains are just too damn low.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-28-2008   #5 (permalink)
150 dB

creyc has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum memberscreyc has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum memberscreyc has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

Oh I missed that, two amps is kind of a pain but you should still be able to do it by ear. Then match the other with the DMM and readjust both if necessary.
creyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008   #6 (permalink)
130 dB

aight, im gonna try and take on all of these at once, i have big 3 with 1/0 1/0 running back to a 1000 crankin amp trollin motor battery on stock alt, for eletrical, my amps the gains are set at 2/3 of the way with bass boost all the way off, and i dont know what you guys mean by 0db and -6 db, i just used the 50 hz test tone on the website under links, blinksters free audio test tones, that one, and with everything cranked i can only get it to like 67 volts, how do you know how many db your test tone is?, and setting them by ear is allmost impossible i have to many rattles, and i did try and set them by ear, but its just to diffificult with two amps and how my setup is, do you set them by ear with a test tone too?

2003 subaru forester, getting out of SPL (for now) and trying to get into SQ, need everything, let me know, trying to get rid of all my SPL gear,

kenwood kdc 994
Old 05-28-2008   #7 (permalink)
170 dB

go download a 0db wav file in the download sections of this site.

what h/u are you running? Its possible you have some settings you need to adjust there as well.

Old 05-28-2008   #8 (permalink)
130 dB

im running a pioneer 6900 with the eq set to flat no loudness, no bass boost, subs at 0, and when you say download a 0db test tone, at what hertz?

kenwood kdc 994
Old 05-28-2008   #9 (permalink)
150 dB

tymoto21 is still in the green - This is good

50hz.
my friend turned the loud on his and it sounded really nice. he was distortin like crazy cause his amp was sh!t but w/e
alt. 170amp alt
speakers. kicker 6.5" up front
Kicker 6x9 in back
deck. pioneer deh-p6000ub
all kicker 1/0awg wire
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
tymoto21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008   #10 (permalink)
170 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskyhunter5675 View Post
im running a pioneer 6900 with the eq set to flat no loudness, no bass boost, subs at 0, and when you say download a 0db test tone, at what hertz?
turn the sub output on the deck all the way up.. on pioneers everything below +6 is cutting.

i would just use a 60hz tone, as thats what dmm's are built to read on ac anyway. Just adjust your filters so 60hz can get through to your amps outputs w/ no problem.

I personally just turn the lpf on the amps all the way up and use the one on the deck...

Old 05-28-2008   #11 (permalink)
130 dB

aight i think i got it, so you want me to dowload a 60hz test tone to 75v=1400 watts, with the bass at +6 right? and HCCA guy, how was that car thing last weeekned, i was gonna go but i had to much family stuff to do

kenwood kdc 994
Old 05-28-2008   #12 (permalink)
130 dB

aight, i did it and i had to put on the superbass eq to get it up to 70v with the gain on the amp all the way up, and then i tried the bass boost, is there a reason why the bass boost would make it go down? i start turning up the bass boost and it gets to like 73 volts, and then it tanks to like 65 and then keeps going down the more i turn it up?, wierd, and on another note, the amp i "halfblew" the power light is really dim, but the lights on top areint, and it puts out like crap with everything cranked bass knob and all i can get like 60v out of er, im trying to get back to hifonics on that one, im running a pretty massive clipped signal to my subs right now, im thinking?

kenwood kdc 994

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Amplifiers