Realm of Excursion

Realm of Excursion (https://forum.realmofexcursion.com/)
-   Announcements, News & Updates (https://forum.realmofexcursion.com/announcements-news-updates/)
-   -   SHould we keep the shout box? (https://forum.realmofexcursion.com/announcements-news-updates/71952-should-we-keep-shout-box.html)

ROE Master Admin 04-15-2011 08:27 PM

SHould we keep the shout box?

I need your opinion on whether or not we should keep the shoutbox.
Many people say that the shoutbox keeps posting down, and removing it will only help populate the forum...

What are your thoughts?

ANT

Speedcult 04-15-2011 08:40 PM

Re: SHould we keep the shout box?

I like it, it's great for just BS'ing and not tying up threads with random stuff. Plus it helps when a few are on and you have questions you want to maybe get answered sooner then waiting for a thread reply. Not everyone browses every section on ROE but the Shoutbox being on top gets noticed, at least by me, every time I log in.

I say Keep It!

Darkmage1991 04-15-2011 09:37 PM

i say we get rid of it, but add something like smd has (the bar at the bottom of the screen with messenger) but if that's no option i say keep it. but as you said it would definitely bring post count up if it was gone.

EDIT: now that i think about it, i think that removing it might actually be more beneficial than keeping it, as you said, new people would see a lot more new threads and think this forum isn't dead and may bring more people to the forum. so my vote changes to let it go.

Speedcult 04-15-2011 09:59 PM

^^I half agree^^

It would put more chat into the threads. The downside is that not everyone is on at the same time, so you have to wait. Plus being able to chat in real-time helps, like when I was trying to find my terminals and SICAudio suggested a welding supply store. I smacked my head in Homer Simpson fashion and went on a 15 minute drive to buy every 1/0 terminal they had.

Saved me time waiting for a thread reply and even though it was obvious, I missed it. Personally I like it. I don't think I need or would browse a how was your day thread, but if I saw someone I've talked to before on, I might ask what's up. There's still enough stuff that needs the threads and you can't get all your answers from the Shoutbox either, so it's like having the best of both IMO.

666WMD 04-15-2011 10:16 PM

I like having it. It's useful for throwing out random ideas that don't really warrant a thread and just shooting the breeze with unrelated topics.

If you do get rid of it, we'd need some sort of lounge as a replacement. :)

matt.u 04-15-2011 10:26 PM

i say keep it why not have it its a easy way to just chat about stuff instead of starting a thread to just bs

dsktim 04-15-2011 11:34 PM

i love having direct line to the handfull of users who use the shoutbox. Not sure how getting rid of it will increase the post count. 85% of things i see in the shoutbox I would not put in a thread or the topic is not for evreyone to see. i also remember last time this came up there was a big uproar about it then we lost members and post count went down untill the box came back

my vote is keep it

RidinLoudProd 04-16-2011 04:10 AM

I love it. main reason im on roe as much as I am. I get on every morning, Take a look at the top threads and chat in the shoutbox. Ill say 50% of the time the shoutbox is non caraudio related. If i just have a quick question i ask in the shoutbox If i got something more complicated i make a thread. A lot easyer to understand since its hard to scroll up in the shoutbox plus you got to stay on ROE to keep up with the shoutbox.

I know its all about business. Whats best But it seems like Roe is getting atleast 1 new member a day. I know thats not alot but it is progress And I love roe just the way it is not many people very little drama besides 1 guy. only complaint is not being able to post ebay links

Sicaudio 04-16-2011 05:22 AM

Keep it, i sit in the SB and wait for threads to come up where i can try to help or offer opinions...

It gives a place for regulars to 'Hang' out..it is also what separates ROE from the rest...

profundus-sanus 04-16-2011 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sicaudio (Post 852206)
Keep it, i sit in the SB and wait for threads to come up where i can try to help or offer opinions...

It gives a place for regulars to 'Hang' out..it is also what separates ROE from the rest...

this.

being that you can see top threads and the shoutbox at the same time doesn't make it near as bad.

i mean sure its going to drop posting a bit, but its mainly off topic posting that is cut down.

not to mention we often tell each other to check out certain threads in the shout box.

profundus-sanus 04-16-2011 05:59 AM

also, the shoutbox keeps me more active on the forum as i can sit in there and chat waiting for new posts to come in. if there wasn't a shoutbox i certainly wouldn't watch the top posts near as often on a forum this slow.

sri3850341 04-16-2011 07:52 AM

As i see it members that ask detailed questions in the shout box usually get recommendations to post a new topic in the forum, but i do see easy questions getting answered alot,in the sb, do you want to fill the space you have for topics that are of small importance, or use the sb for quick easy questions an bs'in

snow0707 04-16-2011 09:28 AM

to tell you the truth ive never seen the "shout out box" but i dont come into roe on the main page

edit: found it.

lanman31337 04-16-2011 09:53 AM

Keep it. This way I can talk to the old man and spit out random garbage during work.

lanman31337 04-16-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profundus-sanus (Post 852208)
this.

being that you can see top threads and the shoutbox at the same time doesn't make it near as bad.

i mean sure its going to drop posting a bit, but its mainly off topic posting that is cut down.

not to mention we often tell each other to check out certain threads in the shout box.

And the usual jibber jabber.

nick 04-16-2011 11:03 AM

keep it most in questions that get asked in the shoutbox are directed at a specific person so you get a faster reply plus thats almost the only activity this forum really has right now if its gotten rid of people will either leave or there will be tons of random threads

Boosted77 04-16-2011 11:42 AM

I like it for what it is. To quickly say hello. It's my way of saying, "Hey guys, hello, I'm here, what's going on"? Also I have needed to ask a quick question and have received an immediate response which was a big help. Sometimes I just needed an opinion and there were guys I wanted to get feedback from that were posting at that moment.

It also gives the forum a sense of life and viral activity as I enjoy reading others convo's as they transpire. When I see the shotbox popping off I know there are guys here and it's busy. Some of it's pretty funny too. I like watching the shoutbox and reading through topics at the same time. It's just one more thing this site offers that as a whole make it better than others around.

gpgtp 04-16-2011 01:16 PM

Keep it. best part of the forum.

inferno3436 04-16-2011 01:34 PM

Ill chime in with my opinion...and Ill keep it simple!

IF THE SHOUT BOX GOES AWAY I'LL RIP ALL MY SH*T OUT IN MY TRUCK AND GO AUDIOPIPE EVERYTHING!:holysheep:

AND HELPLESSLY TORTURE PANDAS FROM JAPAN!

OH....AND ALSO RIP THE TAGS FROM EVERY MATTRESS I SEE EVERYWHERE!

DON'T MAKE ME GO THERE!
KEEP THE SHOUT BOX PLEASE!

Hardcor Audio 04-16-2011 01:53 PM

Keep it!!!!!!!!!

perfect_prefect 04-16-2011 02:07 PM

keep the shoutbox, it is the main reason why this is my home forum, it gives me something to do chatting with other members while i wait for new threads to pop up to learn and teach in. also i have used the shoutbox a couple times for buying selling things with friends on the forum. it is a great asset to the site and the community.

fosg8freak 04-16-2011 06:12 PM

is the site about helping out car audio fanatics, or about trying to be a popular forum? The way I see it, we help a ton of people effeciently and quickly via the shoutbox, where it would take 200x longer with the normal posting. Yeah posting goes down, but isnt this helping better? We still get all the good build logs and the same information, but this is still better. Besides, Since the shoutbox, it's the only real reason why I come back here... Since I cant really get too much into car audio without a car and deploying to afganistan here soon

perfect_prefect 04-16-2011 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fosg8freak (Post 852263)
is the site about helping out car audio fanatics, or about trying to be a popular forum? The way I see it, we help a ton of people effeciently and quickly via the shoutbox, where it would take 200x longer with the normal posting. Yeah posting goes down, but isnt this helping better? We still get all the good build logs and the same information, but this is still better. Besides, Since the shoutbox, it's the only real reason why I come back here... Since I cant really get too much into car audio without a car and deploying to afganistan here soon

even if the only upside is keeping fos on the site that is enough to keep the shoutbox alive ;) we love you fos

Team Nemesis-DJ 04-16-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profundus-sanus (Post 852208)
this.

Agreed !!
Quote:

Originally Posted by profundus-sanus (Post 852210)
also, the shoutbox keeps me more active on the forum as i can sit in there and chat waiting for new posts to come in. if there wasn't a shoutbox i certainly wouldn't watch the top posts near as often on a forum this slow.

I also agree again

general_neo 04-16-2011 11:38 PM

Shoutbox is what brought me back! I am not a top poster or anything as I keep reading and using the search for most function. I keep coming back to talk in the shoutbox. And when i need something i will definitely post.

I say,' who ever is serious will start a serious thread and who ever has a small silly question can put in the shoutbox and get a quick answer. '
So its an advantage over the disadvantages. Keep it!