06' Si DD SQ build - Page 7 - Realm of Excursion

Build Logs Create and share a work log of your install.

Old 10-08-2012   #151 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default Re: 06' Si DD SQ build

Hey all I just wanted to post up the Build for my new box. I want to thank Cxa for designing/modeling the box and assisting me in my decision, Fallen for drawing up the box and explaining things, and 98Civic for helping build the box...

With adding the new box the amp rack had to be removed and the amps needed to find a new home. So I had some thinking an considerations to make as the only places that they could go were the back seats and the spare tire well. Seeing I'm a triple A member and rarely take long trips I decided to ditch the spare tire and place the amps in its place. Please excuse the mess as right now its temporary as we have to build up the area to clean the wires up, add fans, and add supports for the box:

The mounting board we used is a piece of ply-wood cut to a rough shape of the bottom of the well. To anchor it down we used the stock bolt with a slight modification to firmly hold the wood down... Whats not shown it the relay which controls all remote/accessory power...

Now this isn't done yet but I'm thinking that I will build up sides and a top and making a box that will support the false floor and box and then make an access panel with the two fans (pulling air out, drawing cool air in)...

Now that the amps where set it was time for the box. We decided to use birch as the wood of choice for its strength over MDF, and its lighter weight as well... I will have to say its very easy to work with, better then MDF...

Unfortunately we didn't have the luxury of a table saw and the T square wasn't so square... So we were forced to measure with a tape measure... Something I learned in Wood Shop was if forced to use tape measure to somewhat accurately measure something you go from the 1 inch mark over the stop as there is play and causes wrong measurements... And on top of that we had to free hand...

The baffle section consists of two sheets of birch for strength. Here are some shots of the baffle piece cut out:

Now shown here is the baffle being glued together. We made sure to add a lot of glue and used some screws in the area which will be cut out to pull it together and used clamps on the outside:

Here are the final pieces all cut and considering they were done by free hand we did an amazing job as they were almost exactly the same size as the model drawing:

Now with all the pieces of the puzzle cut out we mocked up the exterior walls of the box:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012   #152 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Now some people don't do 45's but I felt it would be a good idea and wouldn't hurt:

Being satisfied with the look of the mock up we started the process of gluing pieces together. The process uses both inset screws and glue as some people tend to just use glue:

Now it was time to mark out the cutout for the sub. We found middle and determined the correct radius to use to form the cutout:

After a little glue on the first set of pieces was dry it was time to paint the port (painted flat black, I will have to note that the birch really looks nice with paint and the fact that it doesn't absorb like a mad man is a plus):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2012   #153 (permalink)
150 dB

Then continuing gluing pieces together:

We also rounded the port as well:

Gluing the port in:

Very small slot port (Please note that everything is exactly to specs as to the drawing, NO BS here) :

Here is the mock up of the start of the sealed portion of the 4th order:

Once again glue and screw:

Here is what she looks like inside:

We decided to paint as I will be adding a visual access hatch:

Finally after some time the sub is in:

I don't have any pics atm but we used brass bolts for the + and - to connect the inside to the outside for easy removal of the box. There will be two access hatches (either both clear or one) that will be big enough to access the sub without destroying the box. Also I will also be painting the exterior of the box a base coat flat black and a finish of gloss.

Initially we gain set the sub for 300W RMS at 2 ohms as we didn't know how the sub would react and we didn't know the rise of the box either. Now its set to 700W RMS at 2 ohms and the ssf set to 28-30hz...

Last edited by Beckerson1; 10-09-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Old 10-08-2012   #154 (permalink)
140 dB

98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

I know the box is ugly but we decided not to waste time making it look pretty since this was an experiment. If Beckerson decides he likes it, we will make it look purty. It does sound fantastic though, and is quite a bit louder than the last enclosure
98Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2012   #155 (permalink)
160 dB

cxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Glad to hear it is a success. It should be a 3-4 db increase if Power stayed the same.

cxa0897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012   #156 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Civic View Post
I know the box is ugly but we decided not to waste time making it look pretty since this was an experiment. If Beckerson decides he likes it, we will make it look purty. It does sound fantastic though, and is quite a bit louder than the last enclosure
I'm liking it so far, wish I could get it tuned right with a scope but right now I have it set to roughly 600-700 W RMS at 2 ohms (ssf set to 28-30 hz) which with rise probably is right around 200-300W RMS (I assume its somewhat high like my other box. Previous box was set to 301W RMS at 6 ohms). It seems to play much better from 30-80 hz, definite low end presence now which I like and seems to be well balanced...

Old 10-09-2012   #157 (permalink)
170 dB

Fallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Great job on the box!

That's great to hear
The balanced 30-80Hz output was the goal.
And that my friends is how you make a 4th order that sounds good.

Anyways just be cautious with setting the gain, since a lot of the mechanical noise that happens when stressing the sub will be filtered out by the port.

Enclosure: 2 cu ft ported, tuned to 33Hz
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012   #158 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
Great job on the box!

That's great to hear
The balanced 30-80Hz output was the goal.
And that my friends is how you make a 4th order that sounds good.

Anyways just be cautious with setting the gain, since a lot of the mechanical noise that happens when stressing the sub will be filtered out by the port.
Understood... I rarely get to the level I set the gain at and I set my sub level control to 60% for daily... As a precaution though I will up the SSF a slight bit and 50% sub level control until I can get it on a scope (which I hope to either borrow or get one off ebay)

Old 10-09-2012   #159 (permalink)
170 dB

Fallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckerson1 View Post
Understood... I rarely get to the level I set the gain at and I set my sub level control to 60% for daily... As a precaution though I will up the SSF a slight bit and 50% sub level control until I can get it on a scope (which I hope to either borrow or get one off ebay)
Same here. I was curious a couple weekends ago how much Power I was sending my subs when I have my volume all the way up (but the gain turned down so that the subs blend with the mids). It turns out that I'm only at about 1kW into 1 ohm.(nominal, 32V across a 1 ohm nominal load. I'm not going to bother measuring impedance rise since it should vary depending on freq anyways). With the volume at what I listen to it daily, it's only about 4W nominal into 1 ohm. At this level I realistically don't even need a SSF. In my setup a SSF is probably even more important than in yours, since below tuning my subs are pretty much free air, they run out of excursion quickly. In a 4th order the sealed chamber provides some protection below tuning.

As a side note:

If you feel like experimenting/ making sawdust/ etc let me know.
If you'd like to try a 6th order bandpass you could do it really easily.

Take your current box and put a 8" long 3" diameter aeroport in the sealed chamber. This will give you roughly a 33Hz tuning. It'll give you a stronger low end. The upper bass won't be affected much.
It's a pretty good $14 experiment. It'll actually help the excursion issue a bit, within the 30-80Hz band, below that and the excursion goes through the roof.

Precision Port 3" Flared Port Tube Kit 268-350

Old 10-09-2012   #160 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Same here. I was curious a couple weekends ago how much power I was sending my subs when I have my volume all the way up (but the gain turned down so that the subs blend with the mids). It turns out that I'm only at about 1kW into 1 ohm.(nominal, 32V across a 1 ohm nominal load. I'm not going to bother measuring impedance rise since it should vary depending on freq anyways). With the volume at what I listen to it daily, it's only about 4W nominal into 1 ohm. At this level I realistically don't even need a SSF. In my setup a SSF is probably even more important than in yours, since below tuning my subs are pretty much free air, they run out of excursion quickly. In a 4th order the sealed chamber provides some protection below tuning.

As a side note:

If you feel like experimenting/ making sawdust/ etc let me know.
If you'd like to try a 6th order bandpass you could do it really easily.

Take your current box and put a 8" long 3" diameter aeroport in the sealed chamber. This will give you roughly a 33Hz tuning. It'll give you a stronger low end. The upper bass won't be affected much.
It's a pretty good $14 experiment. It'll actually help the excursion issue a bit, within the 30-80Hz band, below that and the excursion goes through the roof.

Precision Port 3" Flared Port Tube Kit 268-350
With how tight the sub is against the walls I really don't think I can fit a 3" pipe or at least it would be tight...

Anyway I need to focus on getting rid of my crazy rattles in the rear, at certain freg. I swear its louder then the bass and really gets on my nerve... That and fix my passenger door, my antenna for my security system, and the squeaking from the box as its temporarily in place, that squeaking pisses me off so much I can't stand it

BTW I will probably utilize my 1.03 cu ft box as a simple HT, or a bookshelf setup... Just need to find something that would fit

Old 10-09-2012   #161 (permalink)
140 dB

nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Looks good you can definitely cut better than me free hand.
~/ member #4 \~
Car:2004 Grand Prix
H/U:B Clarion CZ702
Wires: 6 Runs Electron Beam 2/0
Batteries: Juicebox Lithium 40ah
Amp: Flatline BA2 7k
Substage: Custom Fi N3 15's
nkrell11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012   #162 (permalink)
170 dB

[QUOTE=Beckerson1;921460]With how tight the sub is against the walls I really don't think I can fit a 3" pipe or at least it would be tight...

You can put the pipe firing the same direction as the slot port. The 8" long aero should leave about 7" of clearance from the back of the box. Which is perfect
(I'll post up a pic if/when you're interested just let me know. For now I'll stop spamming your build log)
But yeah, get the squeeks and rattles fixed first. They are the bane of my existance

I just spent a good chunk of this weekend deadening my car.

Last edited by Fallen; 10-09-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-09-2012   #163 (permalink)
160 dB

cxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

i use my bass to cover all the noises

they really dont bother me though, I guess im so used to driving around with tools, fishing poles, paddles, tackle boxes etc etc that all bounce around make noise that im just immune to it. something im quite grateful for, because I would likely spend an eternity chasing down that last rattle

cxa0897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012   #164 (permalink)
170 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxa0897 View Post
i use my bass to cover all the noises

they really dont bother me though, I guess im so used to driving around with tools, fishing poles, paddles, tackle boxes etc etc that all bounce around make noise that im just immune to it. something im quite grateful for, because I would likely spend an eternity chasing down that last rattle
...yet

Old 10-09-2012   #165 (permalink)
150 dB

[QUOTE=Fallen;921462]
Quote:
With how tight the sub is against the walls I really don't think I can fit a 3" pipe or at least it would be tight...

You can put the pipe firing the same direction as the slot port. The 8" long aero should leave about 4" of clearance from the back of the box. Which is perfect
(I'll post up a pic if/when you're interested just let me know. For now I'll stop spamming your build log)
But yeah, get the squeeks and rattles fixed first. They are the bane of my existance

I just spent a good chunk of this weekend deadening my car.
lol... Ya I'm not sure where it comes from but think its my rear deck again... or the actual seat vibrating... To much plastic back there to tell

Hopefully this next coming weekend I can convince 98 to help tare the rear end out so we can figure the issues and deaden some more...

lol I'm curious what that would look like btw

Old 10-09-2012   #166 (permalink)
170 dB

Make the straight section 7" long. The flares will add another inch. Normally this wouldn't be enough port area, but if you keep the power down it should be fine. This will net you even more efficiency.

EDIT:
So you can compare various boxes. I've included my cabin gain approximation.
As you can see the 6th has a bit of a peak. Even though it's tuned lower than the typical ported box it peaks higher. Might be good for SPL box for the sub, since it's peaking in the mid 40Hz area.

Here's the mechanical power handling for the various boxes. I would say the 6th order has the best mechanical power handling.

For the $14 the port costs (Don't just use a 3" ABS pipe. The flare is important. If you don't want a flare, go with 4" pipe 15" long. Part of that will need to protrude from the box, or use an elbow)

Last edited by Fallen; 10-09-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Clarification and correction
Old 10-09-2012   #167 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Make the straight section 7" long. The flares will add another inch. Normally this wouldn't be enough port area, but if you keep the power down it should be fine. This will net you even more efficiency.

EDIT:
So you can compare various boxes. I've included my cabin gain approximation.
As you can see the 6th has a bit of a peak. Even though it's tuned lower than the typical ported box it peaks higher. Might be good for SPL box for the sub, since it's peaking in the mid 40Hz area.

Here's the mechanical power handling for the various boxes. I would say the 6th order has the best mechanical power handling.

For the $14 the port costs (Don't just use a 3" ABS pipe. The flare is important. If you don't want a flare, go with 4" pipe 15" long. Part of that will need to protrude from the box, or use an elbow)
Here is an idea, wouldn't see why it wouldn't work:

We have to make and access hatch to get the sub (both sides, one to get our hand in to push the sub out) in and out anyway in which we could make a port swap (6th order for metering (spl), 4th for daily) and the 4th order piece will have a window out of Polycarbonate that people could look into... (think it would be cool to see the sub move)... It would be hard to seal a 3/4" piece (poly) in so maybe a 3/8" to 1/2" piece (Can get them cheap and cut to fit) would work (smaller size about a couple inches smaller then the opening and then make a frame for it to mount to (seal it with silicon both sides and screw it) Then use T-nuts and stripping to seal the insert itself... Of course doing it so I don't change the internal volume any...

Doing it this way we will have to set the gain for the 6th order and then I will use my sub level remote for the amp to lower the gain to the 4th order level...

Old 10-09-2012   #168 (permalink)
170 dB

That would work for sure

Old 10-09-2012   #169 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
That would work for sure
Darn you Fallen... lol

Looks like I will be doing a SPL 6th convertible 4th daily setup

Now with the "SPL" 6th how long would you say the port should be as It can protrude outside the box? Figure around a tuning of 33 hz to get right around 50 hz

EDIT:

Using same dims as posted above

Last edited by Beckerson1; 10-09-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-09-2012   #170 (permalink)
170 dB

Well once you finish that, I'll have you put it inside another box, with a port fining into the cabin. Cause e'rybody needs an 8th order bandpass.

Old 10-09-2012   #171 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Well once you finish that, I'll have you put it inside another box, with a port fining into the cabin. Cause e'rybody needs an 8th order bandpass.
lol... that's not going to happen

Truly that's not

Old 10-09-2012   #172 (permalink)
170 dB

Quote:
lol... that's not going to happen

Truly that's not
...yet

Old 10-09-2012   #173 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
...yet
Nope need the space

Old 10-17-2012   #174 (permalink)
150 dB

Update:

Have just a few items that I want to mention and a future upgrade that will completely change things:

Tomorrow I will be getting two (4 ohms) of these:

Also have already received my 3" flared port for my 6th order conversion. Got T-nuts, bolts, will be getting 1/2" Poly carbonate for a window, some weather seal...

Next month I will be getting the JBL MS8 to further add to my system

Old 10-18-2012   #175 (permalink)
160 dB

armykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

What made you decide on the nendo's?

I like the looks

Youtube-
armykyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Realm of Excursion » Member Contributions » Build Logs