06' Si DD SQ build - Page 9 - Realm of Excursion

Build Logs Create and share a work log of your install.

Old 11-27-2012   #201 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default Re: 06' Si DD SQ build

MS-8 unboxing update:

I bought this MS-8 BNIB from Papasin. Great guy to work with. Will buy from again.

As you can see the item was warped in brown paper and securely taped together.

Box looks great with no signs of major issues/damage to the contents.

Some shots of the interior. Packaged in thick foam:

Everything still has its protective films (screens and MS-8). Exactly as described:

Some slight cosmetic scratches but nothing I'm freaking out about:

Here is the shot showing protective plastic still on the MS-8 from factory.

Hopefully I can get this installed this weekend, have a lot to run and clean up. Might start cleaning things up tomorrow and figuring where I will temp mount the unit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012   #202 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Just wanted to update. Wanted to start off with a little response from DIYMA. This is in conjunction with the argument between PA and Car audio designed speakers.

"This site was founded on the principle that high fidelity mobile audio can be achieved by utilizing any and all means necessary, including products which are not typically marketed towards this application."

Preparation, install, and tuning go a long way in what sounds good and what doesn't

Anyway ordered a bunch of stuff from PE this past weekend in preparation for my redesign on my amp rack:

10': 3/4" split loom
3': #2 OFC Power wire (need to extend my power wire)
10': #4 OFC power wire (5 read, 5 black)
36 pcs: 1/2" Nylon cable clamps
36 pcs: 1/4" Nylon cable clamps
30 pcs: 3/8" Nylon cable clamps
18 pcs: 3/4" Nylon cable clamps
6 pcs: 3/4" Vinyl Hole Grommets
1: 3 pole 20A panel mount barrier terminal strip (for Remote power amps and accessory (fans)).

I hope to get started on the redesign in a few weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-2012   #203 (permalink)
150 dB

Parts-Express update:

Got my shipment of wire management supplies from Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components

First off this is a wonderful company. Quick shipping, properly packed boxes, and not to mention for me they are local. They have just about everything I would need and then some. If I were an owner of a shop I wouldn't mind having them as a supplier. Great products

Any way for those who don't know I'm re-designing my amp rack. You can say I'm building it up to code for competitions if I choose to eventually get into.

Here is what I got:

First off I need to extend my power wire as atm it is to short to effectively mount it out of the way.

3' Black OFC 2 gauge power wire (I actually measured about half a foot more then 3':dance: )

As you can see it's not the most flexible piece of wire but is still workable.

Construction: 2641 strands x 36 ga. OFC. 12mm OD.

5' Black OFC 4 gauge power wire (Once again I measure over a foot more then ordered)

Construction: 1672 strands x 36 ga. OFC. 10 mm OD.

5' Red OFC 4 gauge power wire (Same result as the black)

Construction: 1672 strands x 36 ga. OFC. 10mm OD.

I was thinking about using Tech Flex as a covering agent but decided against it as it wasn't cheap for 25'.

10' 3/4" Split loom. Lol no the cat didn't get shipped with the loom.

1 Three pole 20A panel mount:

This will be used as my remote turn on board for my amps, fans, and whatever else I decide to run off this (don't worry at that point a relay will be used)

3 Packs of 12 of 1/2" cable clamps:

3 Packs of 6 of 3/4" cable clamps:

Old 12-06-2012   #204 (permalink)
150 dB

2 Packs of 3 of 3/4" rubber grommets:

2 Packs of 18 of 1/4" cable clamps:

2 Packs of 15 of 3/8" cable clamps:

As you can see quite a few things. I hope to get to working on the rack by the end of this month to the beginning on next month.

Old 12-06-2012   #205 (permalink)
170 dB

Fallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Looking good man

Enclosure: 2 cu ft ported, tuned to 33Hz
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012   #206 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
Looking good man
you wouldn't say that if you saw my amp rack right now. Hence no install pics. A complete mess. I am ashamed lol

Anyway the box is doing great, think I will go with a 4" aero port though. Maybe slightly bigger with an external portion as well. At some point

Old 12-06-2012   #207 (permalink)
170 dB

Fallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Well it cant be worse than mine. My amp "rack" consists of a 4 quart oil jug pinning it against my back seats. lol.

Enclosure: 2 cu ft ported, tuned to 33Hz
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012   #208 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
Well it cant be worse than mine. My amp "rack" consists of a 4 quart oil jug pinning it against my back seats. lol.
nice

Old 12-14-2012   #209 (permalink)
150 dB

Tweeter update:

Tweeters from Papasin came in yesterday.

For Sales Thread:

8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

He sent it double boxed and stuffed with air pouches. As stated they are LNIB and at closer inspection they look BNIB. Tested ohm readings and everything checks out great. Here are some shots I snapped this morning.

Went with a flush mount. Can't say I did a good job with drilling the holes as my Dermal got away from me both times so the holes were a little big. Nothing major and nothing a little Goop and black sharpie can't fix for now till I can get replacement kicks (holes for my first tweeters) as I couldn't utilize the same location.

Overall impression with a general MS-8 tune is great. Sound good (needs small tweaks) with the basic tune (no EQ adjustments yet) and keep up nicely with my mids...

Crossed initially at 2500 hz but ended up going to 3k as it seems to transition well at this point. Over the next couple weeks I will make small adjustments and listen to multiple songs to get an idea and soon hope to have this thing tuned just about perfect.

Old 01-03-2013   #210 (permalink)
150 dB

Small parts update:

Haven't really had time to get with 98Civic over his break so some plans have been moved to a later time. So all I have to report is some parts that I ordered.

First off I want to report I swapped my battery out to a Diehard Advanced Gold AGM battery. 55 AH 20 hour rating.

Also decided to grab a Battery tender as well as I would have to drive quite a ways to get the battery charged up especially over the winter. Also plan to use my older battery for a field battery till I kill it. Can't sell it as its going out. I can also always trade it in for another battery if I so choose.

Now I decided to grab a few more things for the amp rack and surrounding area.

First off was a new power distro block. The one I have now is good but there isn't enough room for all the power leads I have planed...

It has:

1: 1/0
1: 2 gauge
2: 4 gauge
2: 8 gauge

Also decided to get some 4 gauge power and ground wire as well. The inputs for the Hifonics amps are a little to small for my 2 gauge right now so we had to trim the 2 gauge to fit. This will allow me to detach from the distro block and leave all connections to the amp in place on the distro blocks.

The plan is to make the rack completely removable with little detachment as possible. Basically the ground and power would have to be removed as well as speaker wire.

Also went ahead and purchased two more 80mm fans and will be looking into a temperature fan controller as well. Why that, don't really want them running if they don't need to and can have them come on when the temp of a specific amp gets to a certain degree predetermined by me. Only issue right now is that I need a 12V+ and 5V+ 4 pin molex connector to power the controller. Any ideas much appreciated.

Also got some mesh covers for these as well.

This is the controller I was looking at. Temp prob would go either in between amps or near the input of one.

http://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-Programmable-Thermal-Controller-Display/dp/B002PNL0F4/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357243113&sr =1-5&keywords=12v+temperature+fan+controller

Seems to be a decent unit and is within price range I'm looking at. Not sure if I will make it visible or not but if I do it will look decent as it displays the temp...

Fully programmable from 0-100 deg C or (32- 211 deg F)...

Why not a switch, I can but this will be fully automatic and does present itself nice is visual.

Last edited by Beckerson1; 01-03-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2013   #211 (permalink)
150 dB

Not much to report as of yet but have a massive parts express order in the plans.

First off here are some of the components that I will actually be putting into my car.

I'm picking up some carpet as a member over on DIYMA has done to his Accord. I'm going to carpet the entire bottom of the trunk.

By my estimation 2 linear yards will be more then enough to do the bottom part of the trunk:

Black Automotive Carpet Car Trunkliner Yard 40" Wide 261-700

And to hold this down I got this. Had a discussion with this same member on DIYMA and said its not the top adhesive but should do for my application:

V&S #581 Foam & Fabric Spray Adhesive 12 oz. 340-096

Thats it as far as whats going into the car but here are some random tools and accessories that I want to get to build up my tool collection. Thoughts and ideas on these tools and accessories are welcome.

Nothings complete without a hot glue gun and some glue sticks. Went with clear and might do a couple black:

Hot Melt Trigger Glue Gun 360-378

Some wire strippers:

Automatic Wire Stripper with Cutter 360-627

Onto the soldering tools.

Soldering stations:

Stahl Tools SSVT Variable Temperature Soldering Station 374-100

Solder:

Electronic Solder 60/40 .031" 1 lb. Spool 370-032

Desoldering Pump:

Desoldering Pump 370-030

Some random tips:

Stahl Tools SSRT 4-Piece Soldering Tip Kit for STSSVT 374-102

Old 01-26-2013   #212 (permalink)
150 dB

Heat Gun:

Heat Gun 1500 Watt 370-364

2:1 Heat shrink:

NTE Heat Shrink 2:1 Assorted Colors/Sizes 4" 160 Pcs. 080-736

Last but not least some electrical tape. 5 color assortment:

PVC Electrical Tape 5-Pack Red/White/Blue/Green/Yellow 359-062

Old 01-26-2013   #213 (permalink)
150 dB

Here are some future upgrades I will be doing. Not audio oriented.

I, for some time, have always wanted to to a retrofit for my headlights. With the help of a retrofitting genius over of 8th Civic I have chosen to do a Bi-Xenon FX-R stage 3, E-46R shroud, black reflector housing, Halo option. He will be doing the work.

Bi-xenon FX-R Stage III Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

Also do plan on eventually swapping the stock hood over to a carbon fiber hood. Exactly like my sig pic.

EDIT:

Also forgot that I will be doing some tint as well. Ohio's laws state (when I asked) 50% on the front two windows and unlimited everywhere else. I will be doing either 50% on front and 35% everywhere else or will do 35% all around.

Old 01-26-2013   #214 (permalink)
160 dB

Burkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

I'm glad you're still making progress man. With my tax money I'm gonna get a RF 3sixty.3 and probably some HAT Imagines.
Cadence ZRS-C9
HAT Imagine 6.5s active
Rockford Fosgate 360.3
Burkem_10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013   #215 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkem_10 View Post
I'm glad you're still making progress man. With my tax money I'm gonna get a RF 3sixty.3 and probably some HAT Imagines.
Cool. Will be doing up taxes (can't file yet) to see what I get. Will utilize a portion of this for a jump start on my retrofit payment (I'm figuring between 700-800 (includes shipping/return shipping, labor, parts). Will have to look at getting temporary headlights so I can still utilize my car (have a 45 min drive to work). So might be around 1k when all is said and done. But should be able to sell the temp lights for near to new price. And possible sell my current HID's

Old 01-26-2013   #216 (permalink)
140 dB

97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

looks like alot of work ahead.....good job on the planning it all out.

take care and have fun

good luck on your journey
take care and have fun
97_eldo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013   #217 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_eldo View Post
looks like alot of work ahead.....good job on the planning it all out.

take care and have fun
Lol. Thanks

Old 02-06-2013   #218 (permalink)
150 dB

Quick update (non car audio):

Taking the car in Friday to get tint.

Went ahead and went legal:

Ohio law states 50% front windows (driver/passenger) and unlimited everywhere else

Went 50 and 35. Debated going 35 front as well but was considering being in the country it isn't lit up like in the city.

Will have to see how the color difference looks.

Old 02-06-2013   #219 (permalink)
140 dB

97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!97_eldo has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

ya that dark tint is a pain on those country roads at nite.

take care and have fun
Old 02-09-2013   #220 (permalink)
150 dB

Update:

Got the car back from the shop yesterday and the tint looks great. Went with 50% up front and 35% on the rest. If I were to do it again I would look at doing 35% all around. But more then happy with what I got.

Pics don't do the color justice as its a shade or two darker then whats shown. Bright and sunny (not the best pic taking weather)

Condensation in the upper corners are on the interior side of the tint and not in between. No issues with install

All around look. As you can see it depends on the angle as to how dark it is.

Last edited by Beckerson1; 02-09-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-09-2013   #221 (permalink)
140 dB

98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Looks great man!
98Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013   #222 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Civic View Post
Looks great man!
Thanks

Old 02-12-2013   #223 (permalink)
150 dB

Update:

As you may know with my temperature controller I needed a 12V+ supply and a 5V+ supply. So I ordered a variable voltage regulator to supply the need for 5V.

Now the regulator isn't exactly pretty so I decided to swing by Radio shack and pick up a project box to hold the regulator and clean things up a little bit. Also picked up a red led to indicate when power is reaching the board. What isn't shown is the bottom of the board. I treated it with a couple layers of electrical tap to keep it from shorting out. Hot gluing the board down to the casing so it won't move.

Will skip all the mess. Here is what the finished box looks like:

I decided to go with the aluminum as it will match all my equipment back there. Hifonics amps and MS-8 are all aluminum finish.

12V constant (well constant off a relay) and constant ground enter into the box on one side and 5V/ground exit on the other side. Both the fan and LED are wired into the constant 12V/ground.

Here is a shot of the fan and wiring:

Decided to get a fan as over time the regulator will get hot and with it being enclosed it could be an issue. So decided on a 40mm x 40mm 12v fan to circulate the air. Even though I didn't drill in a vent the casing isn't close to being air tight so there wasn't really a need.

Here is the whole operation:

If anyone is curious what the power supply is:

Its a Junsi P350

ProgressiveRC - Junsi P350 Power Supply

Rated 350W at 23A continuous.

I bought it for use with my RC plans, etc...

Had to use my older camera with flash off so sorry for the fuzzy pic.

I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out and was a great learning experience.

Last edited by Beckerson1; 02-12-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2013   #224 (permalink)
150 dB

Update:

As you may have seen I'm doing a center channel build located here:

http://forum.realmofexcursion.com/ge...ild-setup.html

Also purchased 1 of 3 PPI 900.4's. That being the center channel amp. Chose the 4 channel over a 2 channel as this would allow me to utilize the HPF/LPF for the separate channels.

The other two amps will be for my driver/passenger. Not only does this allow me more upgrade options (will have two channels open on both sides) but will give me more then enough power to drive my Nedo's and tweets. Not to mention the efficiency of these amps and there capability to do rated.

I look to be either selling or holding onto my ZXi 80.4 (been a great amp that has proven itself time and time again). Will post up a FS thread if I so choose to let her go. Might allow my brother to amp his speakers if he so chooses

Old 02-23-2013   #225 (permalink)
140 dB

making some good progress. things looking good.

keep up the good work

take care and have fun

Realm of Excursion » Member Contributions » Build Logs