06' Si DD SQ build - Page 4 - Realm of Excursion

Build Logs Create and share a work log of your install.

Old 02-07-2012   #76 (permalink)
160 dB

SINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default Re: 06' Si DD SQ build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckerson1 View Post
No I haven't
I would highly advise against that.. big no no in Car audio unless you know exactly what you are doing is to mix different boxes or different subs. A sealed sundown 8 and even a sundown 8 in IB would sound terrible.
Ohio Gen 300 amp alt
SKBT100.. (might be replaced with NSB90)
97 Tahoe LT
SINTORMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012   #77 (permalink)
160 dB

SINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Custom amp rack for the other side ftw.
Ohio Gen 300 amp alt
SKBT100.. (might be replaced with NSB90)
97 Tahoe LT
SINTORMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012   #78 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINTORMAN View Post
Custom amp rack for the other side ftw.
Amps going on the rear seat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012   #79 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Alright after discussing my issue with Jacob over at Sundown he is shipping me a replacement. So after the cost of shipping the blown unit its going to be just over $70 total... Anyway here is what I'm planning on doing.

My previous box is going to be sold, as long as we can determine what the actual cu feet it is. I still believe its close to what I posted but to be certain. Also we are going to shrink it to fit a ten or eight. We personally believe the box was way to small and due to the sub being so stiff in the beginning we didn't realize it was suffocating the sub. Probably due to the 11+ hours we worked on it and fatigue.

Lesson learned and we are going to do this thing right this time. The goal to save space has went down the tube with the blown sub. I still think I'm going with the SQ sealed setup. Also the idea of placing the amps on the rear seat also changed. I am now in the final planning stages of an amp rack. Here are some pics:

Now this shows four fans but that has changed to two:

Here is what the two will look like:

Here is the 3D rendered rack:

Now the hope is to be able to place the amp rack and the sub box side by side up by the rear seats. I measured a good 40.5 in and am figuring a max of 39.5 to be safe. The sub box is going to be 1 cubic foot and I believe we figured the length needs to be 18 in. These two items will be painted black as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-22-2012   #80 (permalink)
150 dB

Alright replacement sub came in last Friday, will be installing it this Saturday. Using a 1 cu ft box with sub facing the rear of the car. This will also be beside the custom amp rack I'm making once my other amp comes in. Don't worry I will defiantly get vids up

This will be used to Power the sub. I've decided to go with this setup as my Hifonics get fairly hot and was supplying about half the power to my other sub... Also allows for expansion in the future...

Stay tuned for box building pics... Should be up by Sunday...

Old 02-22-2012   #81 (permalink)
160 dB

Burkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

hmmm, sealed eh? I think you should do a fourth :P
Cadence ZRS-C9
HAT Imagine 6.5s active
Rockford Fosgate 360.3
Burkem_10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012   #82 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkem_10 View Post
hmmm, sealed eh? I think you should do a fourth :P
lol... Maybe in the future

How them lights treating you???

Old 02-22-2012   #83 (permalink)
160 dB

Burkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckerson1 View Post
lol... Maybe in the future

How them lights treating you???
havent gotten time to work on them more. Im going home on friday and will get them done then hopefully. I'll update that thread when i do.
Cadence ZRS-C9
HAT Imagine 6.5s active
Rockford Fosgate 360.3
Old 02-22-2012   #84 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
havent gotten time to work on them more. Im going home on friday and will get them done then hopefully. I'll update that thread when i do.
Hopefully they look nice for you... My bros looks good but there are some little issue like highs and lows swapping places and high beam indicator being on all the time... I believe its the way the harness is wired. The stock wires are opposite of what the harness is wired to lol... He doesn't mind though...

The beam is more narrow then I would like, especially for a truck

Probably will look better on a car...

But the range for the High beam function is amazing...

Makes me want to do mine

Old 02-27-2012   #85 (permalink)
150 dB

Sorry for the crappy cell phone shots. Didn't have my camera with me...

Here are a couple random shots:

Alright some shots of it being put together. Used screws and glue to hold this together...

And some finished shots:

This is going to be a nice video angle would you say? Imagine the sub jumping out at you....

Now we didn't get to the amp rack but that should be coming in a few months or so...

My friend also had an amp he wasn't using and let me borrow it until I get my mono amp in... I would show some more pictures but right now everything is kinda ghetto rigged down and somewhat unorganized. Yesterday I also added some sub woofer grills to protect the sub as well... Things are coming along nicely...

Even though I'm not pushing full power to this sub, it sure can hit... Love the transitioning and smoothness of the sealed setup as well...

Old 03-15-2012   #86 (permalink)
150 dB

This post is picture heavy

The day has finally come to build my carefully planed amp rack. I will have to say that I had put a few hours into designing this amp rack to fit and had many visions for it.

So basically here was the mental plan:

The major idea was to clean up the install via adding a rack that holds all the amps and present itself as visual eye candy... The major issue with this was to have adequate air space around the amps.

The original idea was to add 4 fans to pull air through the box, over the amps dissipating the heat and blowing this hot exhaust out of the box... Of course when designing, things will change and the finial design was to use two 80 mm fans...

Didn't take a lot of build pictures but here is a shot showing everything together. All sides of the rear of the amp rack (which will be seen from inside the car):

The clap was used to hold the top on as I will either attach it with small magnets or use Velcro strips to hold this in place. The idea here is that the interior shelf and the top will be removable for access to the amps. The interior of the rack has been painted black as well.

Here is a shot of the front (what you will see when you open the trunk) of the amp rack. As you can see the fans will mount on the right hand side and the crossovers on the left hand side. I was originally going to hide these crossovers but they do look very nice and my friend suggested to even out the box and place them on the left of the fans. What isn't show is the voltage meter which is in the middle of these two things towards the top of the rack...

In case your wondering how the wires are going to get to the inside of the box, we drilled a total of three holes just under the crossovers to provide a very clean install...

Here is a shot showing the cut outs for the fans. We ended up rounding the outer edge to provide a very clean look.

Of course we tried to make these as center as possible. Nothing worse then uneven components :facepalm:

Off to paint:

As you can see here there are some holes inside the box to allow entry for speaker wire, power, ground, remote and its not shown here but the middle shelf has a hole to allow passage for more wire to the upper level. Unfortunately we weren't thinking and should have mad it a slot so we could remove the middle shelf to access the lower amp. Easy fix

We first sealed the box with a glue/water mix which helps seal the out pores of the MDF and provides a barrier between the paint and the very absorbent MDF. The next thing we did was add a base coat of flat black spray paint. Lastly we added the final coats of Textured black spray paint.

Ok to turn away from the amp rack itself for a little bit... Shown here is the mess of wires that need to be hidden and routed into the amp rack... Unfortunately I must not have taken a picture of the false floor but we were able to cut a piece, I believe, half inch ply wood to provide a solid place to mount the sub box and amp rack to.

Mess o' wire:

Now to fast forward a little bit.

This was a pita to do as the plastic under the stock cover is very tough for what it is. Also aligning the holes up was quite fun as well. As you can see all wire is run under the ply wood and up through to the positions to enter the amp rack... BTW I am still able to access the spare tire even with the boxes inside the trunk...

Alright back to the rack itself. Here is a shot of what the amp will look like inside:

BTW that's a temp amp until I get my mono amp

Time to mount the crossovers, voltage meter, and fans:

Now you can see the holes I was talking about...

Wire Wire everywhere:

Now to move to the side where the power/ground wires go.

Here is a shot showing the main idea. The power wire will enter from the right and the ground will exit from the left.

Continued in next post as I have "to many pics"... stupid

Old 03-15-2012   #87 (permalink)
150 dB

A relay was added to power the fans and any other accessories in the future. Didn't know which kind to get so I got a 30A relay as I can power many things with it before they draw to many amps...

Now for the power/ground to enter into the box:

Kind of a cool little design I must say.

Good Lord!!!! look at the mess we made

Close up shot of the Crossovers:

Look at how much we trimmed off the ground wire. Don't have a pic of the power wire but it was a good little bit as well.

Fast forward through the loads of connections and here is the final look:

The sub and amp rack are bolted down from the inside with at least three 1-3/8 in wood screws. The amp on the lower level then covers these screws and is bolted down as well. The sub box has three screws on the inside of the box.

It will be physically impossible to steal these things without spending loads of time busting the boxes and damaging the products... there is just no way a theft can get away with these things without having to take the car. Which has a security system with the immobilizer system which means they will have to either push it, or have a flat bed...

Now there were things that went wrong when things were fired up. First we noticed that the sub was extremely loud and was probably moving a good 1.5 inches or so... After about 6 min of this (playing How low can you Go) we noticed the sub and sub amp were hot. The amp being the hottest. After spending a good few min to get things moved enough to see my friend realized that he wired the sub bridged. Which the amp is stale at 4 ohms at 600W. So really the amp was seeing 2 ohms bridged at around 800W or so. Theoretically speaking of course, could have been even more...

This is speaking to the quality of Sundown's subs. Not only did it handle more then double the power but it was clipped power. Not at one point when it was playing did it sound bad. No distortion and sounded very good...

Now we will have to modify the amp rack a little so we can get the the gain on the sub. I want to thank my friend for his help as this wouldn't have been possible without his help.

Now its time to go to some car shows and maybe a comp or two to see what I got...

Stay tuned for more pics and videos as well... I do plan on hauling things in the trunk still so a sub grill is a necessary thing to have in my case. I've already paid a good bit of money towards it and don't need a golf club smashing into it and making it a dead sub...

Old 03-15-2012   #88 (permalink)
160 dB

cxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

1. i bet you could pry that out. the screws will eventually strip from the mdf. bolts and washer ftw on security.

2. pretty good job on the wiring. i like the distro's you have on it

3. clean your damn car!

cxa0897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012   #89 (permalink)
160 dB

looks nice!

let me know how those fans work out
Cadence ZRS-C9
HAT Imagine 6.5s active
Rockford Fosgate 360.3
Old 03-15-2012   #90 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxa0897 View Post
1. i bet you could pry that out. the screws will eventually strip from the mdf. bolts and washer ftw on security.

2. pretty good job on the wiring. i like the distro's you have on it

3. clean your damn car!

That may be true but the fact that they have to basically damage something before they get it is the fact... First they have to get into the car without it screaming at them

Thanks there were a lot of wires

lol she's getting a full out $350 detail done by me today....

Old 03-15-2012   #91 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
looks nice!

let me know how those fans work out
They work great... they rate at 26 cfm but they do pull a lot of air into the box... I can feel it moving are from 5 feet away from the fans...

They also have blue led's which look great with the setup

Old 03-15-2012   #92 (permalink)
150 dB

Here are some pics of it running:

Last edited by Beckerson1; 03-15-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-15-2012   #93 (permalink)
150 dB

arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Very cool, I like those fans. It's always nice to see somebody take the time and do a nice, clean install. Good work!

2008 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L
Audio:1x RF R1200-1D, 1x RF R250x4, 2x Sundown 10" SD2, 2x RF P1652, 1x RF P1652-s, Q-logic kickpanels, Knu wiring, Knu RCA's, custom enclosure with amp rack
Performance Mods: Coming Soon
arcwcb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012   #94 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcwcb View Post
Very cool, I like those fans. It's always nice to see somebody take the time and do a nice, clean install. Good work!
I only helped... My friend did a lot of the work

But thanks

Old 05-01-2012   #95 (permalink)
150 dB

Need some guidance:

I'm thinking about going ported... The only issue here is of course my setup now... I really like the way I have my amp rack and don't really want to move it... so this means the subs box will have to gain the cu ft by making the depth bigger as the length and height can't increase due to space... but the sub would have to fire up and port into the cabin...

Sundowns rating for ported is 1.5-2.0 cu ft so I would be looking at the lower end so right around 1.5-1.7 cu ft... potentially doing an external port

Only issue there it would look hideous...

Old 05-09-2012   #96 (permalink)
150 dB

Well took my first video and here it is... Time was limited and being SQ and on low power there wasn't much movement the camera would pick up... I do get flex in areas but nothing impressive so the main focus behind the video was SQ...

Songs played in order:

Hotel California: Eagles
Fire Wayne: Sonny Instrumentals (Decaf)
Put on: Young Jeezy

06SiSQ.mp4 video by beckerson1 - Photobucket

Excuse my crazy shacks... btw before you say anything yes I haul quite a few things in the trunk so the grill in necessary...

Last edited by Beckerson1; 05-09-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-09-2012   #97 (permalink)
160 dB

Cool! During Hotel California it was nice being able to hear the individual harmonics from the acoustic guitar. From that vid it seems like it sounds really nice and have some decent bump when you need it!
Cadence ZRS-C9
HAT Imagine 6.5s active
Rockford Fosgate 360.3
Old 05-09-2012   #98 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Cool! During Hotel California it was nice being able to hear the individual harmonics from the acoustic guitar. From that vid it seems like it sounds really nice and have some decent bump when you need it!
Being involved with band during my HS days I've come to appreciate the many complex melodies and try to balance them out without overpowering high/low notes...

For being limited on EQ (5 band) and no processing whatsoever I seem to have a nice setup... I'd love to compare it to a processed sound to see where it stacks up. Hopefully I can do so when I take it up to a car show in Medina and get a general idea where it meters and get other peoples opinions as well...

Old 05-09-2012   #99 (permalink)
170 dB

Fallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Nice build, I'm not sure how I missed it. Good job

Enclosure: 2 cu ft ported, tuned to 33Hz
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012   #100 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
Nice build, I'm not sure how I missed it. Good job
Thank you, I can't take all the credit... 98Civic helped a lot

Realm of Excursion » Member Contributions » Build Logs