Nkrell11's Pontiac Grand Prix Build - Realm of Excursion

Build Logs Create and share a work log of your install.

Old 07-29-2012   #1 (permalink)
140 dB

nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!
Default Nkrell11's Pontiac Grand Prix Build

Well the time has come I finally got a new whip it's a 2004 Grand Prix GT so for now I just put the stuff that I had in the Cavalier into this one. It sounds different of course but I haven't really got to listen to it much since I just got it in today (minds out of gutter). Might do a different enclosure or something but at this time I don't really know anyhow on to some pictures.

The car:

Took the glovebox out so I could drill a whole in it for the iPod chord and I needed to run the red Wire to the fuse box:

Radio in:

Man I need some battery terminals got it good enough for the time being:

Actually got it in through the trunk opening lol:

Running the SAZ for now might go back to Autotek eventually my wiring is showing I know:
~/ member #4 \~
Car:2004 Grand Prix
H/U:B Clarion CZ702
Wires: 6 Runs Electron Beam 2/0
Batteries: Juicebox Lithium 40ah
Amp: Flatline BA2 7k
Substage: Custom Fi N3 15's

Last edited by nkrell11; 07-30-2012 at 04:47 PM.
nkrell11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012   #2 (permalink)
160 dB

Burkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default Re: Nkrell11's Pontiac Grand Prix Build

I would play around with your box placement... it just doesn't seem optimal to me. Try pushing it back closer toward the trunk. Also, hit up Project Db for some battery terminals. I absolutely love mine.
Cadence ZRS-C9
HAT Imagine 6.5s active
Rockford Fosgate 360.3
Burkem_10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012   #3 (permalink)
140 dB

nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Yeah I new about project DB from you and Kyle what post option did you get and I will mess with the box. I think eventually I will make a new one on axis that fires into the cabin or towards the rear it's just hard to get rid of this one so soon since I have time into it and it's somewhat new.
~/ member #4 \~

Old 07-30-2012   #4 (permalink)
160 dB

Burkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrell11 View Post
Yeah I new about project DB from you and Kyle what post option did you get and I will mess with the box. I think eventually I will make a new one on axis that fires into the cabin or towards the rear it's just hard to get rid of this one so soon since I have time into it and it's somewhat new.
The kind you get depends on the battery. I have a SuperStart Extreme which has the standard SAE posts so that's what I got.
Cadence ZRS-C9
HAT Imagine 6.5s active
Rockford Fosgate 360.3
Old 07-30-2012   #5 (permalink)
160 dB

SINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

I don't think you need a new box
Ohio Gen 300 amp alt
SKBT100.. (might be replaced with NSB90)
97 Tahoe LT
SINTORMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012   #6 (permalink)
140 dB

Why not? My ish got quite when it went in the gp the only other way I'm going to get louder is with more power. Not that I want to turn this into an enclosure thread either but 4 cubes with one 6 or two 4 inch aeros firing into the cabin out backwards was what crossed my mind.
~/ member #4 \~
Old 07-30-2012   #7 (permalink)
160 dB

SINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSINTORMAN has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Why not? My ish got quite when it went in the gp the only other way I'm going to get louder is with more power. Not that I want to turn this into an enclosure thread either but 4 cubes with one 6 or two 4 inch aeros firing into the cabin out backwards was what crossed my mind.
costs money and time

do you think you will get a bigger amp?
Ohio Gen 300 amp alt
97 Tahoe LT
Old 07-30-2012   #8 (permalink)
140 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINTORMAN View Post
costs money and time

do you think you will get a bigger amp?
Building boxes is cheap compared to buying new amps or batteries. If I beefed up my electrical I could go back to running the autotek for 2400 at 2 ohms or I could run the saz at .5 I'd like to get a dd m3a or something similar eventually but that would be a ways out.
~/ member #4 \~
Old 07-30-2012   #9 (permalink)
140 dB

Got the voltmeter installed and calibrated to the voltage the amp sees will post the type of drop I see later I know it isn't the cleanest placement but it saved me from drilling wholes in my interior. Also got the carpets clean:
~/ member #4 \~
Old 07-30-2012   #10 (permalink)
140 dB

Lac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleLac.wit.bass has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Got the voltmeter installed and calibrated to the voltage the amp sees will post the type of drop I see later I know it isn't the cleanest placement but it saved me from drilling wholes in my interior. Also got the carpets clean:

I actually like that a lot, I don't think it looks out of place.
And why not turn your box around sub on the passenger side and port firing into the cab?
Lac.wit.bass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012   #11 (permalink)
140 dB

Thanks I actually have considered turning the port into the cabin however I have done that in my cavalier and it didn't get any louder just seemed to move more air in the cabin plus that box is a heavy sob and moving it by myself is difficult maybe I can get a friend to give me a hand sometime.
~/ member #4 \~
Old 08-01-2012   #12 (permalink)
140 dB

Well since I got the handy dandy volt meter installed I can say that my voltage drop doesn't seem too bad during my 45 commute with my h/u turned up to as far as it can go within limits of the dmm my voltage drops from around 14.4 to around the higher 13s towards the end of my commute the lowest I saw was a 13.5 but I figured the battery was just getting weaker the longer I went on wanging.. I was going to check it at idle but I didn't think it would be a good representation since I had just gotten home maybe I'll check tomorrow.
~/ member #4 \~
Old 08-01-2012   #13 (permalink)
160 dB

Woot! We have a pretty decent stock alt. It's kind of funny because I have a h/o alt and have more/worse volt drop than you do. Sometimes the Car will just sit at 12v with no music playing. I really need to get that computer fixed...
Cadence ZRS-C9
HAT Imagine 6.5s active
Rockford Fosgate 360.3
Old 08-01-2012   #14 (permalink)
140 dB

Yeah man I think I read they were 120 amp stock I kind of want to hook up the autotek so I can see how much of a pig it is on voltage or to run some more Power since I really don't want to wire the Saz down to half ATM.

Edit: On a side not you were right moving the box farther back did seem to make it louder but i still want to try and do what lac said and face the port into the cabin. Also at idle on the sundown my voltage dropped from 14.2 to 12.8 was the lowest I saw although that was at the extremes so still not bad for the electrical its on.
~/ member #4 \~

Last edited by nkrell11; 08-01-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-01-2012   #15 (permalink)
160 dB

It's either hella efficient or you have lots o' rise
Cadence ZRS-C9
HAT Imagine 6.5s active
Rockford Fosgate 360.3
Old 08-01-2012   #16 (permalink)
140 dB

Well it's wired to 2 ohms so I wouldn't expect a huge rise or you could be right about the rise being huge.
~/ member #4 \~
Old 08-01-2012   #17 (permalink)
160 dB

Quote:
Well it's wired to 2 ohms so I wouldn't expect a huge rise or you could be right about the rise being huge.
at 2 ohm nominal you are going to be at 4 ohms at least on most freqs.. maybe more.
Ohio Gen 300 amp alt
97 Tahoe LT
Old 08-01-2012   #18 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Running the SAZ for now might go back to Autotek eventually my wiring is showing I know:
i would build a new box, lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

profundus-sanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012   #19 (permalink)
160 dB

I'm wired to 1 ohm nominal and clamped 3 ohms at 45hz soooooo I'd say 4 ohms at least
Cadence ZRS-C9
HAT Imagine 6.5s active
Rockford Fosgate 360.3
Old 08-01-2012   #20 (permalink)
140 dB

Of course it's rising to almost 4 the only thing I could do to get more power to it is wire to half but I don't think my electrical our the amp would like it out I could put the autotek back on and run more power at 2 ohms.

Pro what would you suggest on axis facing in possibly sealed off about 4 cubes net with a 6 inch aero that's what I'm thinking at least.
~/ member #4 \~
Old 08-01-2012   #21 (permalink)
160 dB

I would try wiring it at .5 for just a song or so. Your battery will recharge just fine and the Sundown will handle low voltage for a min or two just fine. See if more power helps.
Ohio Gen 300 amp alt
97 Tahoe LT
Old 08-01-2012   #22 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

well if you're sealing off sub/port forward... but thats not the most optimal.

sub forward port side would be my suggestion, pushed all the way to the back of the trunk.

i have an idea for a sealed off box i would love to seee someone try, i would think it would perform quite well.

the 2nd part on the side is twice the area of the port so the intention is for it not to load(although it could exhibit horn properties, as it looks a lot like a tapped horn) the inention is for it to be a wave guide to add phase delay to the rear wave of the woofer, which imo is a problem with these smaller on axis enclosures used to seal into trunk openenings.

not sure if you have the room to do something like that.. i didn't really even do the math on it as i can't seem to get openoffice to work on my new comp.. so i can't use my spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-01-2012   #23 (permalink)
140 dB

While I'm sure more power would probably make it louder on the prix it seems like wiring to.5 for a little bit wouldn't do me much good other than seeing what the drop is like and how much louder it gets. It's not like I'm going to be near a meter anytime soon I was just hoping out would be a loud in the prix a it was in the cavalier in the same power so much for hoping.
~/ member #4 \~
Old 08-01-2012   #24 (permalink)
170 dB

Quote:
While I'm sure more power would probably make it louder on the prix it seems like wiring to.5 for a little bit wouldn't do me much good other than seeing what the drop is like and how much louder it gets. It's not like I'm going to be near a meter anytime soon I was just hoping out would be a loud in the prix a it was in the cavalier in the same power so much for hoping.
i would wire to .5 as well. not really any point not doing it, as you can watch your voltage right there.

imo if you're getting any drop with it wired at 2 ohms you're clipping the amp. no way it should be drawing more than 60-70 amps.

Old 08-01-2012   #25 (permalink)
140 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by profundus-sanus View Post
well if you're sealing off sub/port forward... but thats not the most optimal.

sub forward port side would be my suggestion, pushed all the way to the back of the trunk.

i have an idea for a sealed off box i would love to seee someone try, i would think it would perform quite well.

the 2nd part on the side is twice the area of the port so the intention is for it not to load(although it could exhibit horn properties, as it looks a lot like a tapped horn) the inention is for it to be a wave guide to add phase delay to the rear wave of the woofer, which imo is a problem with these smaller on axis enclosures used to seal into trunk openenings.

not sure if you have the room to do something like that.. i didn't really even do the math on it as i can't seem to get openoffice to work on my new comp.. so i can't use my spreadsheet
This is intriguing however I would like to maintain some trunk space I just don't know what to do I probably have enough wood around to make another box I just don't know where to go really it's just finding a good area to trunk ratio. I suggested sealed firing in because I thought it would be a good choice and I know Garrett always talks about firing in port to the side as well. Sorry my replies are piling up I keep missing ish I may be clipping a little but I don't think that if I want clipping it wouldn't drop too.
~/ member #4 \~

Realm of Excursion » Member Contributions » Build Logs