Beckerson's build (V2) - Realm of Excursion

Build Logs Create and share a work log of your install.

Old 09-17-2013   #1 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default Beckerson's build (V2)

Well a lot of you have seen the major transformation of my past Build and once again I'm going to be changing things around. I've wanted to get into some competing which my current build isn't geared at all towards this. So its time to change things around. Here is what i'm looking at doing. At this point all this is in the planning stage as electrical isn't there yet:

HU:

Swapping out the 80 PRS for a nice double din head unit. Currently I'm looking at getting the Pioneer AVH-X4500BT:

Pioneer AVH-X4500BT 7" LCD USB/DVD/MP3 Car Receiver w/ Bluetooth

Thanks SRI for pointing this out. I'm running an external DSP (rockford fosgate 360.3). I can even go back to stock if I really wanted to.

Front stage:

At this point I won't be changing in. If anything I will be going back to the Nendo PWX's. Will have to see how things go with the sub stage.

Sub stage:

I've been talking with Kingpen and I think I've decided on using two Fi 15 SP4's in a 4 cu ft sealed box walled off from the trunk. I will be tossing 5k at them. Want a nice ground pounder that will get decently loud doing it.

I'm not to sure what amp I will be running at this point and time. Thing is I want to keep this within the 0-5500w parameters of the KOB:

Rules

CLASSES and REQUIREMENTS
Trunk class
• 12 volt batteries ONLY. (15.1V max charge voltage)
• Trunk class is an unlimited Power class.
• All equipment (subs, amps, batteries, except for single under hood mounted
one, MUST be located in the trunk.
• The upper part of the back seat may be flipped down, and if vehicle is not
equipped with a flip-down seat, competitor MAY unbolt and flip the top section
down if they so choose.
• Amps, etc. may be mounted on the back seat that flips down as long as it is
able to be closed completely.

0-5500 watt class
• Walls and blow-throughs are permitted.
• 12 volt batteries ONLY.
• All equipment and enclosure MUST be located behind the B-pillar, including sub
amps, subs, and extra batteries.
• All modifications are allowed behind the B-pillar, limited modifications in front.
Must keep stock appearance. (No wood dash, etc.) Any bracing and deadening
must fit behind stock panels and carpet. Custom consoles and door panels are
allowed as long as they aren't built specifically to increase SPL.
• Roof build-downs are allowed, as long as it stays above the door opening.
• It will be up to the judges' discretion to clamp an amplifier if it is thought it may
not fall in the correct class.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Beckerson1; 09-17-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2013   #2 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default Re: Beckerson's build (V2)

Electrical

It's my hope by this time next year the electrical (as far as components) will be ready for install. The electrical will consist of:

1: 275 amp hairpin Singer alt

2: runs of 3/0 power and ground wire for a total of 4 runs. I'm debating on grabbing a AGM that will fit the mount that was included with my intake. It's quite small (G51). I had to relocate stock location. It's still up front so shouldn't have an issue with judging but will have a talk with Dominic as to if that qualifies. Depending on if I run the battery up front the ground runs from the rear will either go to the battery or alt bracket. May just do direct run to alt.

5: Diehard Platnium G65 (This may change depending on pricing).

If you feel this won't be enough please suggest what I should look at adding. Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Beckerson1; 09-17-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-17-2013   #3 (permalink)
Angry old man

Location: Las Vegas,1971-present,someday i'll retire in Idaho
sri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Just an FYI, your getting rid of an awesome stereo for a DD that sounds like crap... Been there.....
Rockford Fosgate PPS4-6 mids
Image Dynamics XS-28 tweets
Hifonics GLX1000.1
2 Sundown E10's with a Pete designed enclosure...

sri3850341 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013   #4 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri3850341 View Post
Just an FYI, your getting rid of an awesome stereo for a DD that sounds like crap... Been there.....
Doesn't matter what I run when I have an external DSP. I can run stock and have it sound great.

Running the Rockford 360.3

I haven't even touched 90% of what the 80PRS offers. Updated OP. Thanks for bringing this up.

Personally a DD looks better in my car. With running the external DSP the HU I listed shouldn't be an issue. I'm defiantly open to DD hu's though. Say $500 budget.

Last edited by Beckerson1; 09-17-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-17-2013   #5 (permalink)
Angry old man

Location: Las Vegas,1971-present,someday i'll retire in Idaho
sri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

unless you can get Alpine W505 with the H701, nobody makes a DD with sq in mind.. As far as the 3sixty goes, they are a great unit, but i'm a true believer in the least amount of sound processing the better the final result.... I love my 80PRS cause it's all right there and simple..
Rockford Fosgate PPS4-6 mids
Image Dynamics XS-28 tweets
Hifonics GLX1000.1
2 Sundown E10's with a Pete designed enclosure...

sri3850341 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013   #6 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri3850341 View Post
unless you can get Alpine W505 with the H701, nobody makes a DD with sq in mind.. As far as the 3sixty goes, they are a great unit, but i'm a true believer in the least amount of sound processing the better the final result.... I love my 80PRS cause it's all right there and simple..
Fully understandable

Old 09-17-2013   #7 (permalink)
140 dB

nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!nkrell11 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

In for build I'm surprised you're turning to spl also kinda surprised you aren't doing like a beast 12 4th order.
~/ member #4 \~
Car:2004 Grand Prix
H/U:B Clarion CZ702
Wires: 6 Runs Electron Beam 2/0
Batteries: Juicebox Lithium 40ah
Amp: Flatline BA2 7k
Substage: Custom Fi N3 15's
nkrell11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013   #8 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrell11 View Post
In for build I'm surprised you're turning to spl also kinda surprised you aren't doing like a beast 12 4th order.
I've always been a fence type person. I enjoy both SQ and SPL and I can achieve both (not compete SQ).

Defiantly possible to do a 4th but I need to fit everything in the trunk. Batteries (5 semi massive ones) amps and sub box...

Old 09-17-2013   #9 (permalink)
160 dB

Burkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

I'm really happy with my double-din + 360.3 setup. It sounds great to me and looks awesome too. The trunk wall is also a fantastic idea.

Two things:

For competitions do they have any rules about the number of electrical runs from front to back? I remeber hearing something about that but it could be a different league/class/whatever.

SPL with a sealed box? I realize you'll have a lot of power and cone area but it seems a little ass backwards to not make use of a more efficient enclosure. Hell, that's how the competitors used to do it back in the day though. My manager was sponsored by Rockford Fosgate and he was doing 153+ with sealed boxes. Using a sealed enclosure will be pretty unique too since most people nowadays go ported.

I'm tuned in.

Edit: I'm pretty sure you're getting the newer version of my HU. Awesome!
Cadence ZRS-C9
HAT Imagine 6.5s active
Rockford Fosgate 360.3

Last edited by Burkem_10; 09-17-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Burkem_10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013   #10 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkem_10 View Post
I'm really happy with my double-din + 360.3 setup. It sounds great to me and looks awesome too. The trunk wall is also a fantastic idea.

Two things:

For competitions do they have any rules about the number of electrical runs from front to back? I remeber hearing something about that but it could be a different league/class/whatever.

SPL with a sealed box? I realize you'll have a lot of power and cone area but it seems a little ass backwards to not make use of a more efficient enclosure. Hell, that's how the competitors used to do it back in the day though. My manager was sponsored by Rockford Fosgate and he was doing 153+ with sealed boxes. Using a sealed enclosure will be pretty unique too since most people nowadays go ported.

I'm tuned in.

Edit: I'm pretty sure you're getting the newer version of my HU. Awesome!

As far as I can tell for KOB it doesn't specify the wire runs. The main thing here is that everything has to be behind the B-Pillar as far as modifications and everything needs to be in the trunk to be able to compete. Amps can go on back seats but seats need to be able to shut. As far as the wire runs go though I'm not to sure how I will do them. 3/0 is quite large and wouldn't work the way I have it now. I was thinking running them under the car and into the trunk via the opening in the rear quarter panel area. Luckily with my car basically the entire bottom is covered with plastic. Just have to use my axle stands and do some crawling (not looking forward to that.

I know it sounds weird trying SPL with a sealed box. I mean I would see much better numbers with ported but whats the fun in that. It's more of an accomplishment when you post up decent numbers with sealed.

A lot of this build comes down to how big the trunk is. I can only fit so much box with 5 batteries, 2 amps (especially if there massive, I will most likely have my front stage amp under the false floor but the massive substage amp will have to be mounted somewhere (maybe on top of the batteries if I can make a mount for it) , 360.3 (which is small as hell). I can even toss the 360.3 on the trunk lid if I have to.

IIRC the trunk is rated at a little over 12 cu ft in total. I would have to measure things out and see what I can come up with as max dims. The stupid trunk arms hurt as well.

Kingpen did originally say 18's but it would be very hard to fit those in IMO. Will know more when I measure things out. I can fit them if I put a slant on them. But then again the size of the box... One 18 is possible but I'd be hard pressed to do 2. Defiantly like the sealed idea though.

Last edited by Beckerson1; 09-17-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2013   #11 (permalink)
160 dB

Burkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Yeah I don't see 18s fitting lol. I think you may find the 15s to be a bit of a sueeze. When I had my SA-12s sealed I really didn't like the low end extention (or lack thereof) so I'd watch out for that.
Cadence ZRS-C9
HAT Imagine 6.5s active
Rockford Fosgate 360.3
Burkem_10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2013   #12 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkem_10 View Post
Yeah I don't see 18s fitting lol. I think you may find the 15s to be a bit of a sueeze. When I had my SA-12s sealed I really didn't like the low end extention (or lack thereof) so I'd watch out for that.
Plotting these looks really good as far as low end but I hear you. When I ran my E12 sealed the low end lacked.

The Fi subs have a Fs of 27.xx hz so I have a feeling these should do just fine. In theory. Won't know till I get them in the car.

Old 09-20-2013   #13 (permalink)
150 dB

At this point, unless I can get rid of the trunk springs and work around the trunk arms, the non official max dims of the box is:

39" L X 21" D X 16" H (ya I know a 15" sub will just fit, looking for a workaround with the trunk springs, will gain on this number)

Now if I can work around the trunk arms and remove the trunk springs I can gain a couple inches each side (right around 41") and will gain a couple inches for the height of the box (right around 18" total)

Now this includes battery placement (atm I'm looking to run them Back to front length wise. I have roughly just over a foot allowance for this.) The subs amp, which I have decided to look into the Nendo BC5500, will hopefully be mounted above the batteries. Also will be running the Nendo 1000.4 for the front stage. This will be mounted under everything in the spare tire well. I know kinda a permanent mount. So we will have to see what I do when I get to that part of the build.

Initial calculations (only an estimate) I should be able to get right around 4-4.5 cu ft with the dims above. That includes bracing, double/triple baffle, and sub displacement

Old 09-29-2013   #14 (permalink)
150 dB

Here are the battery layout options:

The sub amp will be mounted above the batteries. The highs amp will be mounted underneath the sub box.

Old 09-29-2013   #15 (permalink)
I shake the earth from down under.

49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

I like number two better. Its semetrical
49konvict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2013   #16 (permalink)
140 dB

98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

I vote number two. I think it will be easier as well as look better.
98Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2013   #17 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Civic View Post
I vote number two. I think it will be easier as well as look better.
I have yet to measure it out... I think I can get right around 4 across there. The other will have to fit where the current is now.

I like this way to as it will allow me to move the box back 5-6"

Seeing its better to have the subs as far back as possible.

Most of this will be covered with the amp mount (hopefully we can get it to fit). The BC5500 is a massive animal. But you will see some of the mess.

I will have to get with you and your brother to figure out the best way to design and build terminals for the batteries. As they are the post type not the screw type. We can use my current terminals to figure out a design if need be. Maybe this coming weekend?

Old 09-29-2013   #18 (permalink)
140 dB

98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckerson1 View Post
I have yet to measure it out... I think I can get right around 4 across there. The other will have to fit where the current is now.

I like this way to as it will allow me to move the box back 5-6"

Seeing its better to have the subs as far back as possible.

Most of this will be covered with the amp mount (hopefully we can get it to fit). The BC5500 is a massive animal. But you will see some of the mess.

I will have to get with you and your brother to figure out the best way to design and build terminals for the batteries. As they are the post type not the screw type. We can use my current terminals to figure out a design if need be. Maybe this coming weekend?
Those posts are going to give us some problems, but i'm sure there is an answer. Likely going to be a clamp type terminal like the ones you have. I don't think we will have an issue putting the 5500 where you want it.
Old 09-29-2013   #19 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Those posts are going to give us some problems, but i'm sure there is an answer. Likely going to be a clamp type terminal like the ones you have. I don't think we will have an issue putting the 5500 where you want it.
Ya... I figured it would

I saw that you were working on your box next weekend. If you need help (hint hint) let me know. Get me out of this house.

Ya I wanted to get that 5500 in a easy to get to location.

Old 09-29-2013   #20 (permalink)
140 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckerson1 View Post
Ya... I figured it would

I saw that you were working on your box next weekend. If you need help (hint hint) let me know. Get me out of this house.

Ya I wanted to get that 5500 in a easy to get to location.
I'll let you know if I plan on putting in a full day on Saturday. Friday I'll probably do some small stuff after work. Then full day Saturday, then half a day Sunday. Sunday will be cut short because I have to go back to crackron for school.
Old 09-29-2013   #21 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
I'll let you know if I plan on putting in a full day on Saturday. Friday I'll probably do some small stuff after work. Then full day Saturday, then half a day Sunday. Sunday will be cut short because I have to go back to crackron for school.
Lol... def let me know. I'm coming back Friday afternoon from SEC school for work so Saturday would be best unless you need help. Doesn't really matter. Don't see them having me start 2nd shift Friday.

Old 11-12-2013   #22 (permalink)
150 dB

Minor update:

Here is the layout for the front distro block. With my intake I had to move the battery to the rear so right now I'm using just a single fuse block for the front as a distribution point. The issue here is, even though I'm not even close to pulling enough to pop the fuse, if the fuse does pop I lose all power to vehicle. Main issue with that is iirc my car utilizes electric power steering. So really the main idea of this new block is to eliminate any possible bad situations. Safety in mind.

The non conductive surface will be poly-carbonate. I will then use a project box (non metal) in which will encase this to clean it up.

Other then that there isn't much going on with the new version build. I don't anticipate much progress with this version for some time. I have a couple projects planed for the winter and decided to put the mass majority of the (what currently I'm paying for a car payment, until May) towards a car replacement. I don't plan (as we know this can change) on selling/trading this car at all. I'd like to turn it into a show car really. But you know life happens. I'd rather be prepared.

Realm of Excursion » Member Contributions » Build Logs