JLJunkie's Retarded Budget Build - Realm of Excursion

Build Logs Create and share a work log of your install.

Old 06-02-2018   #1 (permalink)
150 dB

JLJunkieMX107 is still in the green - This is good
Default JLJunkie's Retarded Budget Build

I've been out of the scene for quite a few years and just getting back into it. I see that hardly anyone is on here anymore. I will keep updating this Build in hopes that some of you will become active on here again!

So back in the day, I used to build a lot of boxes (worked at an audio shop as a box builder in 2007). I always wanted to take a bunch of cheap-o budget subs, build a decent box for them, and then throw as much Power as those pieces of crap can handle to see how loud they can get......welcome to JLJunkie's retarded budget build. And no, this is not retarded in a good way lol

The theme of this build is to spend as little as possible while still getting a decent bump in the trunk. I am a huge advocate of doing things correctly and safely, so there will be things purchased that aren't exactly "budget" grade. I will also be building out something more respectable and want to have all my electrical setup for my "good" install.

Current status: the subs and amps are on the way. I wont give the subs away just yet, but I bought 8 of them for a whopping total of $105. Yep, 8 subs for $100 I need to send 1,600 watts through these bad boys, so in true budget fashion - I ordered an Audiopipe APMI 2000. These amps are super inefficient which means my electrical system will see a facelift before I start running this amp.

I also have a few runs of 1/0 gauge on order so I can do the big 3. Eventually will have a battery bank for my future build, but not concerned about that for now. My stock alt is running at 160A, will need to upgrade that in the future as well (probably with a mechman 270A).

Anyway, I did some work on my ride today and will post pics immediately following this post. This truck is a bone stock 2014 Ram 1500 crew cab, starting off fresh! I use this truck daily and regularly need my back seat to haul people around. The amps will be permanently mounted but I am going to fabricate a sliding tray system that lets me easily remove the sub box whenever I need to use the seats. Onward to what people actually view these threads for....the pictures!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Im a car salesman, of course I have no conscience
JLJunkieMX107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2018   #2 (permalink)
150 dB

Default Re: JLJunkie's Retarded Budget Build

The truck, bone stock 2014 Ram 1500

Got her in the shop, time to do work

Here's everything that went in today. I needed to get a better HU in the truck but didn't want to spend a fortune. Ended up getting a Kenwood KDC-x399 for $50 at a pawn shop. Using a Metra double din install kit, to include their CAN bus wiring kit (this **** was so much simpler in the 90's). Also had to a get an antenna adapter

Ripped the dash apart, that stock HU needs to go

Almost ready to put in the new HU, however, that dang aluminum housing is in the way (won't let the new HU slide in). Also, staying refreshed with a nice can of Oberon

The two lines are where I need to cut. This oscillating tool has been my savior on so many projects, zipped right through the aluminum like butter. Also, I have sliced my hand open too many times on sharp edges, swapped out attachments and sanded this crap down.

Aaaaand the "new" HU is in and functioning, sounds so much better than the stock one too. Can't wait to get the subs/amp to get a little bass going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-02-2018   #3 (permalink)
150 dB

Here is what I've got to work with for space on this build. I've got 15.8 cubic feet, maybe a little more if I want to breach the window line. I only need 12 cubes for these subs (doing a kerfed slot port).

Here is a bonus for some of you old school guys on here. We recently moved into our current house and the previous owners were kind enough to leave a few boxes of random junk in the garage. Today, I finally got around to looking through it all and found this little gem hiding in there. In the 90's, these Aura MR-5's were the shiznit. Unfortunately, I only have one of the midbass speakers and not the whole set of components It's still a nice little speaker to have around the shop, brings back memories

Old 06-02-2018   #4 (permalink)
150 dB

Amp is here, subs pics in a sec. Buck is designing a box for these beasts. Hopefully I'll be able to start building the box and upgrading my electrical next week. 1/0 runs on order, starting with the big 3 and should have my 270A alt in a couple of weeks. I'll mostly likely try to run dual alts but I just need to find or fab a **** bracket.

Old 06-02-2018   #5 (permalink)
150 dB

Alright, things are getting serious. I'll post more detailed pics of the subs in a few. First impression.....There's no way these were meant to be $13 subs

Old 06-02-2018   #6 (permalink)
150 dB

Time for more subwoofer pics. If you didn’t catch this already, these are Blaupunkt GBW801 8” subwoofers, available for $13 at Walmart.com. As I mentioned already, I am super impressed with these little guys. I really don’t know how they can sell these for $13 and still make money. Granted, I haven’t put power to them yet, so they could just go up in smoke.

First thing I noticed is that they actually use a rubber mounting gasket. I expected them to just be the basket on the back side and the paper ring glued on the top side (the SS8 I looked at had this). Next, the basket is painted with a textured, almost rubber-like, coating. Feels like much better quality than the cheap-o back paint you would typically see on a sub like this. The wire terminals are the round spring style, not the spade connectors you would expect. The spider has woven tinsel leads, again, nearly a $10 sub so why did they do this? Lol not complaining. The surround, meh, feels like a typical rubber surround but not super cheap. And as Kush pointed out, there is a screw down spider pack.

Iíve messed around with a few better quality 8” subs like the ED8 and RF P2, and this Blaupunkt sub feels just as good (actually it feels even better because of the price tag). If this test goes well, I may just order another 8 of these and a second APMI-2000 just to do something really retarded. I am for sure ordering a couple of the GBW1201’s just to play around with.

I’ve rambled enough, on with the pics…..

Old 06-02-2018   #7 (permalink)
150 dB

Huge shoutout to Buck @ Buck Box Designs for designing this [email protected]$$ box. Ended up going with a t-line for this and going to mount the subs inverted. I should have this thing built by next weekend. I just need my wiring to show up and then we should be able to get this tested within the next 10 days.

Also, I free air tested one of the subs off of my APMI-2000 (hooked up my amp externally, had a few feet of 0/1 wire lying around). I actually have 10 of these 8's here to test so I've got 2 spares to play around with. I hooked it up to the amp at 4ohm, amp was seeing 14.1V, gain was about half to 3/4 up. Honestly, I don't care if I blow one of these so I cranked it up. I'd say the sub was seeing at least 500 watts, the coil got stinky, but it did not blow. A $13 sub rated for 200rms taking 500 watts free air for about 10 minutes and not blowing? Crazy. I feel like these things could take a little more than 200 watts daily and be fine. Was this a smart test that proved anything? Not really, but I had a few beers in me and it was fun.

Anyways, check out this sexiness that Buck put together. Hit him up if you need a design! You will not be disappointed with his level of service and his pricepoint.

Realm of Excursion » Member Contributions » Build Logs