rear fill or nah? speaker opitions? - Realm of Excursion

Components, Coaxials & Horns Discussion related to the midwoofers, tweeters and horns.

Old 01-17-2011   #1 (permalink)
160 dB

unknownuser200 is still in the green - This is good
Default rear fill or nah? speaker opitions?

ive been hearing threw our local focal rep that rear fill actually does more harm to a higher end set up then helps as it partly destroyed the imagining. any truth to this? If there is im still concerned as i still have all 3 rows of seats in my suburban and i dont want the people in back missing out

well im sure some of you have seen my build.... the box actually turned out to have alot of SQ to spite how loud it gets... NONE the less...

so with all that said being an employee we get everything at cost plus a demo vehicle price so basically very cheap. with that said im either looking at

k2 Power krx3s in the front doors and k2 power krx2s in the rear doors... ran off a 4 channel or

Utopia Be no.7s in the front doors ran active with no rear fill thoughts?

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with 100% fatality rate.
unknownuser200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011   #2 (permalink)
130 dB

xbguy is still in the green - This is good
Default Re: rear fill or nah? speaker opitions?

i have a set of comps placed down low in my rear doors with about a 1/3 less Power than the front stage. gives my passengers something to listen to without messing with my front stage.
Old 01-17-2011   #3 (permalink)
170 dB

Fallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Rear fill is garbage. Do not use it, it'll ruin your sound stage.

If you go to a concert, are the performers ever behind you? Usually the answer is no.

Rear fill is only acceptable (IMO) in theaters.

Enclosure: 2 cu ft ported, tuned to 33Hz
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011   #4 (permalink)
160 dB

unknownuser200 is still in the green - This is good

any expierence with either series of focal speakers? i know the utopias will sound vastly better but im not sure which will be louder... as ive heard neigther ... im currently doing a Build at work with the 3 way krx3s soo i guess ill have an idea what those sound like but the utopias any reviews?

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with 100% fatality rate.
unknownuser200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011   #5 (permalink)
140 dB

big p has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!big p has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!big p has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!big p has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!big p has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

nothing like misinformation lol Rear fill correctly placed can improve your imaging drastically. Also the only time the sounds in front of you at a concert is when your in the very back row. You have crowd noise, bass and certain tones that will bounce behind you. I wouldn't want to put a live cd in and have it sound like im in the back row. Also with the way company's like sony are mastering there cds they master them for a 4 speaker set up. Same with bass cds. Rear fill should be the last thing you do in a system but play with the placement and phase until you get it right and it will really brighten up your system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sonic Fx 6 1/2
Sonic Fx 5 1/4
Sonic Fx tweets
Sonic Fx Q 15
Sonic Fx 1800 watt amp
Deck ?
Amp for highs?
big p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011   #6 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by big p View Post
nothing like misinformation lol Rear fill correctly placed can improve your imaging drastically. Also the only time the sounds in front of you at a concert is when your in the very back row. You have crowd noise, bass and certain tones that will bounce behind you. I wouldn't want to put a live cd in and have it sound like im in the back row. Also with the way company's like sony are mastering there cds they master them for a 4 speaker set up. Same with bass cds. Rear fill should be the last thing you do in a system but play with the placement and phase until you get it right and it will really brighten up your system.
your talking like there is actually surround sound coming out of the decks, when there still just 2 channels split front to back.

i really don't agree with you at all. i've tried a rear fill, because i don't believe anything until i know if for myself. it didn't hurt, but it certainly didn't help anything.

also, misinformation? its common knowledge that top level sq cars don't run a rear fill. wonder why?

profundus-sanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011   #7 (permalink)
130 dB

SHOToonz is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...

i'm not even high end...cheap ass Pioneer DEH2200 head unit powering a Boston Pro SL-60 6.5" component set in the doors...and if you sit in my car, you can't tell i run without rear fill unless you turn your head and listen for it or sit in the back seat. IMHO, my setup sounds better without the rear speakers upsetting the balance.
SHOToonz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011   #8 (permalink)
130 dB

inferno3436 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!inferno3436 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!inferno3436 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!inferno3436 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!inferno3436 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

I agree with just about all the comments...i upgraded my rear door speakers simply just for passenger riders...it really didnt make much difference to me being their placement is so low and they are behind me. I believe ppl focus on rear speakers in the aspect of surround sound..trying to mimic the sound from 5 and 7 speaker surrounds.but obviously this is a misconception. Not much "imaging" is gonna come from 2 channels. Front and rear. But to each their own I suppose in certain situations it maybe useful or needed..id certainly like to know what they are!

5.1 outboard decoder anyone?

Last edited by inferno3436; 01-18-2011 at 05:37 AM.
inferno3436 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011   #9 (permalink)
170 dB

Fallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by profundus-sanus View Post
your talking like there is actually surround sound coming out of the decks, when there still just 2 channels split front to back.

i really don't agree with you at all. i've tried a rear fill, because i don't believe anything until i know if for myself. it didn't hurt, but it certainly didn't help anything.

also, misinformation? its common knowledge that top level sq cars don't run a rear fill. wonder why?
Agreed.

And big P, crowd noise? really? You wan't rear fill in an SQ setup so that you can hear the crowd noise?

Old 01-18-2011   #10 (permalink)
140 dB

big p has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!big p has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!big p has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!big p has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!big p has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
Agreed.

And big P, crowd noise? really? You wan't rear fill in an SQ setup so that you can hear the crowd noise?
profundus-sanus Stop buying jensen decks lol

yes if im listening to a live "Quadraphonic" cd I want it to sound the way it was recorded. Try Nirvanas MTV unplugged CD not a mp3 but the actual CD Grateful Dead Steal Your Face, almost any Bass Mechanic,

Sonic Fx 6 1/2
Sonic Fx 5 1/4
Sonic Fx tweets
Sonic Fx Q 15
Sonic Fx 1800 watt amp
Deck ?
Amp for highs?
big p is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011   #11 (permalink)
170 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by big p View Post
profundus-sanus Stop buying jensen decks lol

yes if im listening to a live "Quadraphonic" cd I want it to sound the way it was recorded. Try Nirvanas MTV unplugged CD not a mp3 but the actual CD Grateful Dead Steal Your Face, almost any Bass Mechanic,
Ok I'll give you that. But if I'm not mistaken most recordings aren't quadraphonic. For the majority of music rear fill ruins the imaging IMO. I still wouldn't recommend using it. I'll have to try that Nirvana album, I've always listened to it in stereo.

Old 01-27-2011   #12 (permalink)
120 dB

Fatboy501 is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...

I know a lot of sq guys don't run rear fill... personally, I run it. I will continue to do so until I have a sub stage that makes the rear speakers useless, due to VBA (violent bass air)
Fatboy501 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011   #13 (permalink)
120 dB

84stang is still in the green - This is good

i personal agree that front stage is where the focus should be. I myself run comps in front and co's in my rear doors no amp. Is that saying its not good to do so? I like what I hear and I can tell the diff. I have a suv. So I guess what I'm asking is my set up lame? I did have it stock rear, w/o rear and now with the co's. I dont want to waste the time on a 4ch amp if I'm gonna loose to amp them.
84stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011   #14 (permalink)
130 dB

seismicboom is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...

depends who's lestining ,if its just you the rear fill would need to be placed where it would have a effect.+youd have to comibine the front and rear channels to get all the sound from the recorded track..sometimes the sound in music that will vary from front /rear/lf/lr,..ect ect.

Aso what kind of sound you are trying to capture mattters the most..Te more you add mids/hights/the more its going to clash with the bass.Making it seem like lees bass because you have 150Watts rms blurring in your left ear while 500wrms of bass from the rear is tying to break through it all.

I personaly like some rear fill. Not yelling at me but just enough where you can hear it with your front stage. I think it adds a little depth to the setup. I know the SQ guys don't use it but hey..... I'm not an SQ guy. I think this is a personal preference type of thing. Bang it how you want to. It's your time and money.

Last edited by Fallen; 01-28-2011 at 06:11 AM.
seismicboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011   #15 (permalink)
170 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84stang View Post
i personal agree that front stage is where the focus should be. I myself run comps in front and co's in my rear doors no amp. Is that saying its not good to do so? I like what I hear and I can tell the diff. I have a suv. So I guess what I'm asking is my set up lame? I did have it stock rear, w/o rear and now with the co's. I dont want to waste the time on a 4ch amp if I'm gonna loose to amp them.
It's not lame. It's your setup, you can do whatever you want with it.
This is how I see it, If I have $400 to spend between speakers and amps for the front and rear. I would sooner put all $400 up front, and delete the rear speakers(or leave them stock...but my sub stage realllly doesn't play nice with the speakers back there). Instead of spending getting mediocre equipment up front and in the back.

So really it's up to you, since you can always fade it to the front if the rear fill ruining your imaging.

But for me, I see rear fill as a poor investment at best. But if you have a lot of passengers back there...it might be nice for them.

Old 01-28-2011   #16 (permalink)
Stand back and watch this

RidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

your ears are made to hear infront of you not behind you. for sq purposes id just do front....now rear fill is interesting if you set it up right so when you hear it you can not tell the direction the sound is coming from.

RidinLoudProd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011   #17 (permalink)
120 dB

Bugflipper has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!Bugflipper has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!Bugflipper has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!Bugflipper has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

Don't want to get flogged, but focals really aren't good for the front stage either. They are extremely harsh.
In small cabins I use just the fronts. In larger ones I will put in some mid bass in the rear to reinforce the front stage. If you keep the hz low it will not effect the imaging. Just as the subs do not effect the 50-80 hz range of the comps.
Bugflipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011   #18 (permalink)
140 dB

BiggJern has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!BiggJern has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!BiggJern has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!BiggJern has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!BiggJern has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!BiggJern has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

I say it's all on preference. Now, I'd prefer the rear fill. Not over the top rear fill but just a small upgrade. I'm more of a surround sound fan. but then again, I've never heard a top-notch SQ vehicle and I would love to one day.
Old 02-23-2011   #19 (permalink)
130 dB

seismicboom is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...

songs /music is recorded with different things going on between the front and rear..if you eliminate the rear the rear channel should still connected with what playing to get the full sound of what was actually recorded
seismicboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011   #20 (permalink)
130 dB

Crown Vic is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...

Ive heard a top notch SQ truck with no rear fill, and it sounded beautiful, you couldn't tell there wasn't any rearfill.

I personally don't believe in it, but in a vehicle as long as a suburban, it might be necessary.

Also I thought the majority of music was recorded in stereo?
Alpine IDA x 200
Crescendo 6.5 set (un installed)
RF punch 301s (un installed)
Big 3 upgraded.
Crown Vic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2011   #21 (permalink)
Shake & Bake!

perfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

just a side note this thread is basically a moot point unknown is selling everything

perfect_prefect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Components, Coaxials & Horns