so confused with adding a second amp - Realm of Excursion

Components, Coaxials & Horns Discussion related to the midwoofers, tweeters and horns.

Old 03-17-2013   #1 (permalink)
130 dB

Robsmokey has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!Robsmokey has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!Robsmokey has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!Robsmokey has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!Robsmokey has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!
Default so confused with adding a second amp

Not with wiring it in.. the tuning thing.

my mid amps pretty poop.. its bradn new but its a boss onyx 1600.2.

definatly dosent do 1600 rms lol . even on good electrical
the fuse thats on the amps a 35a.

the settings are..

$$ input sensitivity 2v-8v
$$ input level
bass boost 0-18+ db
low pas freq 45-90hz
high pass freq 50-500hz
$$ cross over mode (low pass/full range/highpass)

like whatss a cross over.. i know when installing component sets you use them and run your +/- wires through it then have another set going to the tweet, from the cross over.
but whaats it actually do?? & isa crossover on an amp the same as a crossover for comp sets..

the ones with a "$$" sign infront of im unsure ehat they mean.

I feel kinda dumb askn thiis but i wanna know!

i know its a trial n error kinda deal to make everything sound good but id like to know what im.screwing.with om the amp before i go.ahead and instally.new mids.. & btw the equip is two crescendo pws 6.5s

17, & from CANADA bishhes.
Build log starting soon ;D

Last edited by Robsmokey; 03-17-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Robsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013   #2 (permalink)
130 dB

Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!
Default Re: so confused with adding a second amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsmokey View Post
Not with wiring it in.. the tuning thing.

my mid amps pretty poop.. its bradn new but its a boss onyx 1600.2.

definatly dosent do 1600 rms lol . even on good electrical
the fuse thats on the amps a 35a.

the settings are..

$$ input sensitivity 2v-8v Same as gain
$$ input level High/Low switch I'm guessing. If your using RCA's use low otherwise use high
bass boost 0-18+ db
low pas freq 45-90hz
high pass freq 50-500hz
$$ cross over mode (low pass/full range/highpass) Low pass will cut frequencies above what you set it, highpass cuts below what you set it.

like whatss a cross over.. i know when installing component sets you use them and run your +/- wires through it then have another set going to the tweet, from the cross over.
but whaats it actually do?? & isa crossover on an amp the same as a crossover for comp sets.. Cross overs are used to separate frequencies to each driver. Eample: You don't want lets say 200Hz going to a tweeter so you use a highpass at 3000Hz. Crossovers have different slopes. Higher slope have fasters cut offs to the frequencies its cutting. 12db cuts quicker than 6db

the ones with a "$$" sign infront of im unsure ehat they mean.

I feel kinda dumb askn thiis but i wanna know!

i know its a trial n error kinda deal to make everything sound good but id like to know what im.screwing.with om the amp before i go.ahead and instally.new mids.. & btw the equip is two crescendo pws 6.5s
Above in red and heres an graph to show what I'm saying about crossovers. And because that doesn't look so great heres the link to it. Same as below

EDIT: For those pws's set it to highpass and adjust the frequency to whatever you think sounds best. Wait, your sig says you don't have subs so you might want to leave it on full range for now. If you do be make sure to keep an eye on it.
SAZ-1500 V1
Pos & Neg FA 2/0
SSA Gcon 12 in 3 cubes at 29Hz

Quote:
Ni I'm trying to get him arrested for theft cause that much moofer for that price is an out right steal

Last edited by Squeezumz; 03-17-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Squeezumz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013   #3 (permalink)
130 dB

Robsmokey has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!Robsmokey has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!Robsmokey has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!Robsmokey has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!Robsmokey has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezumz View Post
Above in red and heres an graph to show what I'm saying about crossovers. And because that doesn't look so great heres the link to it. Same as below

EDIT: For those pws's set it to highpass and adjust the frequency to whatever you think sounds best. Wait, your sig says you don't have subs so you might want to leave it on full range for now. If you do be make sure to keep an eye on it.
Gave ne a pretty good idea.. the link didnt.work sadly.

but i was confused about.the low/fullrange/high setting mostly.

i do have subs, i.should update.my bio.
Two comp vr's on a 500w alpine MRP.

Im gonna have to take a bit to get it sounding good!

thanks alot bro

17, & from CANADA bishhes.
Build log starting soon ;D
Robsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013   #4 (permalink)
170 dB

Fallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

LR4 is where it's at
No weird phase issue at the crossover frequency. And the steeper slope means your tweeter has even less low end content to worry about.

Enclosure: 2 cu ft ported, tuned to 33Hz
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013   #5 (permalink)
130 dB

Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

The link was to Wikipedia's first pic on audio crossovers
SAZ-1500 V1
Pos & Neg FA 2/0

Quote:
Ni I'm trying to get him arrested for theft cause that much moofer for that price is an out right steal
Old 03-18-2013   #6 (permalink)
150 dB

KingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

well lets see.

input sensitivity - You should have a 2-8v setting and a xxx mV - 2v setting. If you have a cheap headunit and your input voltage is very low you can set it to the mV setting. On better head units with higher output you would select the 2-8v setting.

Input level is the gain

Crossover mode. I'm 99% on this but could be a little off. Full range mode turns off both the High level and low level fiters. When On high level mode it turns off the low level filter. Use this for Subwoofers. When in low level it turns off the high level, this would be for mids/highs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KingPen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013   #7 (permalink)
130 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPen View Post
Crossover mode. I'm 99% on this but could be a little off. Full range mode turns off both the High level and low level fiters. When On high level mode it turns off the low level filter. Use this for Subwoofers. When in low level it turns off the high level, this would be for mids/highs.
Backwards. Highpass and lowpass do exactly what they say. High lets high through, low lets low through and full is obviously full range of the amp. Either one isn't necessarily made for just subs or mids but can be used in any way needed. A high and a low could be used together to bandpass a midbass in a 3 way (+ sub) setup. Then a highpass for the mid and another for the tweet.

To OP: Looking at a picture of the amp now so here's what you should do.
Input sensitivity: based on your head unit's RCA out voltage, if its 2+ then put it to 2V-8V.
Input level: Sets your gain.
Bass boost: All the way off.
Low pass: Doesn't matter because your using HP.
High pass: Somewhere around 60-80 Hz depending on how fast your subs drop off on top. Whatever you think sounds good.
Crossover Mode: Highpass
SAZ-1500 V1
Pos & Neg FA 2/0

Quote:
Old 03-19-2013   #8 (permalink)
150 dB

KingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleKingPen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Your right the way I worded things was pretty ass backwards so let me start over on the crossover thing and your filters.

Low pass - Your amps has a 45 - 90 low pass frequency. When the crossover mode is on low pass then this becomes active. It lets all sound below this frequency though. If you were to use this setting you would set it in the 60-90 range for a subwoofer. That way all frequencies below your setting would be played. I would set it right at 80 that way 1-80 can be played.

High pass - When in this mode the high pass filter is turned on. Yours is 50-500 hz. When this setting is active it will only let frequencies though that are above your setting. Because 50 hz is the lowest you can't use this for a subwoofer. This setting would be for mids/highs only.

Full range turns both off.

Problem*** As you can see you want to tuse the low pass frequency crossover mode for your subwoofer and set it as high as you want the woofer to play. But if you have a ported box you run into a problem of your sub trying to pay lower then it can handle. This amp is not capable of addressing this issue. If you want to limit the low stuff to prevent subwoofer damage you will need to set a separate subsonic filter to place in line with your rca's.

Lots of confusion there but I hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2013   #9 (permalink)
130 dB

Quote:
....Because 50 hz is the lowest you can't use this for a subwoofer. This setting would be for mids/highs only.

Full range turns both off.

Problem*** As you can see you want to tuse the low pass frequency crossover mode for your subwoofer and set it as high as you want the woofer to play...
I don't know why you had to restate what I said exactly and he isn't using this for subs...
SAZ-1500 V1
Pos & Neg FA 2/0

Quote:
Old 03-19-2013   #10 (permalink)
150 dB

My bad, I didn't mean to your ur feelings. I also didn't read is original post well enough to know it was for 6.5's so fail there. I just wanted to clarify what I originally said because I worded it very poorly and it was obviously interrupted incorrectly. Not trying to steal your light or anything so you can relax.

Old 03-19-2013   #11 (permalink)
150 dB

southerntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
My bad, I didn't mean to your ur feelings. I also didn't read is original post well enough to know it was for 6.5's so fail there. I just wanted to clarify what I originally said because I worded it very poorly and it was obviously interrupted incorrectly. Not trying to steal your light or anything so you can relax.
kinG stop hurting peoples feelings
Head Unit Pioneer DEH8300SD
Singer 275 (320 peak) Amp H.O. Alt.
Stinger OFC 0GA Power Wire & 0GA Knu Koncepts Kolassus
SSA dual inputs & terminal Distribution blocks
Big 4 done (OFC)
Extra Stinger Agm Batt. X2 (Three total)
4.5cf. Aeroported Enclosure Tuning:32HZ
southerntrendkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013   #12 (permalink)
150 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntrendkill View Post
kinG stop hurting peoples feelings
I'm out of control man. Lock up ur daughters

Old 03-19-2013   #13 (permalink)
130 dB

Lol no feelings hurt man. You know your stuff but I thought I covered it as well as he needed to know.

Don't wanna overload people with new terms and stuff. When I started on here I didn't know much and anything abbreviated like HPF or whatever was Greek to me.

/thread unless OP asks something
SAZ-1500 V1
Pos & Neg FA 2/0

Quote:

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Components, Coaxials & Horns