Challenge time/Request for 06 cobalt Design - Realm of Excursion

Enclosures Woodworking & fiberglassing

Old 01-19-2014   #1 (permalink)
120 dB

gadgetthatninja is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...
Default Challenge time/Request for 06 cobalt Design

I'm currently building an enclosure tomorrow just to have it for my system but i would like to make quite an impact with a much more intricate box that will help these 15's slam and slam hard .

First off the 06 cobalt has minimal room to work with in the trunk, but it is doable. I'm working with (2) 15 inch IA Death row's , powered by a soundqubed q.2200.d . The current dimensions of the enclosure being built to start off and hold me over until something better is built will be W:36,H:16,D:24.75 with the port being W:5.5,H:14.5,L:18.5 and between 34-35 hertz tuning after displacment.

Any and all ideas or anyone that is up to the challenge of working with such a small space but would like to help me with this request would be much appreciated. Thank you!
gadgetthatninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014   #2 (permalink)
150 dB

KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!
Default Re: Challenge time/Request for 06 cobalt Design

i got to ask....is that current box double baffled?...and acording to torres box calculator your current box is tuned to nearly 40hz....but with good amount of port area.....and thats a very small enclosure for them subs minimum id go on them subs is 2.5 cube per sub on around 3.5k...can you go any bigger on the enclosure?....on current Power your gunna need at least 3 cube per sub more would be better but the bigger the better unless you feel like doing a amp and electrical upgrade to make the subs happy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

subscribe for memphis area car audio stuff....or if you need some car audio work done in memphis area just PM me
KickinBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014   #3 (permalink)
120 dB

unfortunately this is a very small vehicle and 12's would have been a better idea..but i had bought the woofers before i got my new Car >.>. I was trying to get the tuning down to 35 hz but i expected to make a few mishaps with the first enclosure i've ever built. I was confused while calculating net and gross volume for the enclosure as well. When it comes to the electrical portion of an install, i can do that...enclosures not soo much.

Old 01-21-2014   #4 (permalink)
120 dB

the current box isn't double baffled but is braced accordingly, I'm still new to car audio and this is my first install. I agree that they should have alot more space to work with but my trunk is a very tiny space to work with.I just did my big 3, well part of it at least. I'm getting a 320 amp alternator within a month or so, and a new battery to help with power better. At least for now i have 0 gauge ran accordingly.
Old 01-22-2014   #5 (permalink)
130 dB

07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Time for a back seat build! I know there was someone on here that did that with a cobalt
18" HDC3 -6 net cubes @ 36hz
Crescendo bc2000d
Knu OFC Wiring, Mechman 240amp, bt-60
BUILD THREAD:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07blackg5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014   #6 (permalink)
150 dB

KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

yep back seat it is unless you want to get 12's...there is no way them 15's are going to fit in a cobalt trunk unless you build the enclosure in the trunk and then it wont be removable it will be a part of the car then

subscribe for memphis area car audio stuff....or if you need some car audio work done in memphis area just PM me
Old 04-30-2014   #7 (permalink)
120 dB

Okay, i know this is a bit late, but I've been working a lot recently and hadn't updated my post. I ended up building the box in trunk and reconed the 2 15's and swapped them into 12 inch baskets. Everything was fine and dandy until i noticed the one woofer IA sent me hasn't been taking any power before and after I reconed it. After i send that in to be fixed, i'm going back to 15's and want advice on a back seat build !!!!
-Please and thank you
Regards,
Dan
Old 04-30-2014   #8 (permalink)
150 dB

First off you need to make a platform to have a flat surface to mount the box and after you make a platform gives us max measurements and then we can talk

Old 04-30-2014   #9 (permalink)
120 dB

I would greatly appreciate that! Also, in regards to my back window, what are the legalities of that? and would that pass inspection after i remove my back seats. Anyway, i'm ecstatic to get this project started. I'm getting my new alternator(300amp) from Singer, another HC2400, more 0 gauge wire, and a few little pieces.
Old 04-30-2014   #10 (permalink)
120 dB

Just a quick question should i be getting 18 inch baskets or reuse the 15 inch baskets.. i'm not sure what i will have space for in the back seat of my cobalt. Thanks again.
Old 04-30-2014   #11 (permalink)
150 dB

you prolly wont have space in the back area for 18s and legally speaking its illegal to impede the view from out the back in most states just remove the back seat totally and build a platform to bolt the box down to bolt the platform to the car and make sure its removable cuz your only fuel pump access is under there .....once you make a platform give me measurments after platform is in place

Old 05-02-2014   #12 (permalink)
140 dB

Slobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersSlobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersSlobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

You can fit the 15's in the trunk comfortably if you face them up and port back. Had a friend back in 09 fit a pair of solobaric 15's that way and it sounded pretty good. Had to pull the back seats and the bar that mounts the seat backs to get it in through the cabin but it did fit with a little wiggle room on the sides.
Slobalt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2014   #13 (permalink)
I shake the earth from down under.

49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

I dont know about pa but here in texas you can paint the back window if you want to. A wall will be the only way to fit two 18s so brush up on your local laws.
49konvict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2014   #14 (permalink)
120 dB

OKay new update, jut bought a older AQ hdc3 15, and i'm ready to build a bad ass box for this thing ;D and something that can hit those lows...i've only ever heard highly tuned boxes 37-44 range.
Old 05-12-2014   #15 (permalink)
150 dB

Just a singe 15 not a pair?...and what kind of power you got?

Old 05-16-2014   #16 (permalink)
120 dB

yeah it's too hold me off until my pair of death rows are fixed. It's hooked too a SQ 2200.d at 1ohm with the gains set lower then it should be but to avoid clipping. I through together a 4 cuft box tuned around 32 hertz..hit's the low's alright. I'll have to get the dimensions and post them along with pictures .

Oh and just one, he didn't have another for sale :[
Old 05-17-2014   #17 (permalink)
150 dB

matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

that hdc3 will take all that sq2200d has to offer. an you prolly could do a box for the 15's as high as the back dash.
stetsom 1k6es2 for 8 mp-8's
2 crescendo XST2 super tweeters
3 X 100 AH CSB batteries
stetsom vs400.4 for tweets
matt.u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2014   #18 (permalink)
120 dB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXNo...eature=mh_lolz

here is a quick video i through together for yall. don't mind the ****ty iphone camera..-.-
Old 05-17-2014   #19 (permalink)
150 dB

is that 4 cube before or after displacments?

Old 05-19-2014   #20 (permalink)
120 dB

before displacement, i'm still working on properly building an enclosure, with what little tools i have.
Old 05-19-2014   #21 (permalink)
150 dB

Yes I would build it a little smaller to handle a little more power...and how's your SW settings on your head unit?

Old 05-19-2014   #22 (permalink)
120 dB

i usually keep it between 1-5 out of 15 and bass at negative -8 the headunit goes to 35 but i try to keep it at 30-32(volume knob)
Old 05-19-2014   #23 (permalink)
150 dB

And how far is gain up on amp?...and you said you keep blowing sub's right?

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Enclosures