Enclosure opinions. 6.5" woofer - Realm of Excursion

Enclosures Woodworking & fiberglassing

Old 09-01-2014   #1 (permalink)
130 dB

07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!
Default Enclosure opinions. 6.5" woofer

I just picked up an '02 standard cab S10 for winter beater/daily driver. I was hoping to get an extended cab so that I could do a kooky build, but I couldn't pass up this truck for the price. I was excited that the standard cab would save me some money on bass (since there is no room), but that lasted about 2 days.

My max dimensions are 35.5"W x 7.5"D x 6.5H, since I am a big 6'2" gorilla. I originally thought I could fit an 8, but that obviously isn't the case.

I narrowed down my choices to the MA Summo 64, and the DD sw6.5.

I currently have a PPI amp that is good for [email protected], and [email protected], which should be perfect for either woofer. the summo is 150rms and s4, while the DD is 250rms and d4. The summo is ~100 bucks, while the DD is ~200.

With the space I have, I can barely squeeze in a .4ish cube box @~35hz, with ~15 sq inches of port per cube... and that is with 5/8 mdf haha

I dont have much experience with sketchup, but I threw together a basic drawing for a basic scale shape. I obviously have to rework the panel config, but the general idea is there.

The summo will have about an inch of clearance between the magnet and bottom, while the DD is a bit shallower and will have ~1.75"

Any opinions on the layout of the box? Like I said, this is pretty much at the limit of my space, and really the only configuration without going sealed. Opinions between the two woofers?

Thanks for the input
18" HDC3 -6 net cubes @ 36hz
Crescendo bc2000d
Knu OFC Wiring, Mechman 240amp, bt-60
BUILD THREAD:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07blackg5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014   #2 (permalink)
150 dB

KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!
Default Re: Enclosure opinions. 6.5" woofer

you can do 1/2 inch mdf and just use 1/2 inch dowel rods to brace the large panels inside the box that should get you a little more airspace...might be able to fit 2 6.5's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

subscribe for memphis area car audio stuff....or if you need some car audio work done in memphis area just PM me
KickinBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014   #3 (permalink)
150 dB

KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!KickinBlazer has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

and there are options bro....use aeroports and you might be able to do 2 8's with aero's around 8 to 9 per cube

subscribe for memphis area car audio stuff....or if you need some car audio work done in memphis area just PM me

Old 09-01-2014   #4 (permalink)
130 dB

07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!07blackg5 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

I cant physically fit the width of an 8" behind the seat. I only have 7.5" of available depth. even if I angled the top of the box a touch, it would put the magnet into the back of the box. Using 1/2" mdf would get me on the higher side for net volume, but still not enough for 2 drivers.

Here is a picture. The black "shelf" is 7" deep. I put an old home theater sub I have in to test for clearance (7.5"deep x 7"high) and squeezing the seat against it puts me right at the edge of comfort. I figure with the 6.5 height, I might get lucky and get one more click back on the slider.

I could use aero ports up against the back of the cab, but the seat tapers fast, and I'm not sure I would have much useable height. In the current position (with the 7.5d x 6.5h clearance), the seat back to cab clearance is less than an inch just below the glass. And that is pushing it in terms of my clearance. Normally the seats are pressed against the back.

The whole bench is slid forward a tad from my driving position. not a whole lot of space here

I wanted to remove the jack, but there is a big stamped frame welded to the cab that I would rather not cut out, so Im stuck with the 35.5" width with the plastic cover off.
Edit: With the lasts sentence being said, I can only really have the sub and port up as the sides will be flush, and the seat presses against the front of the box.
Crescendo bc2000d
BUILD THREAD:

Last edited by 07blackg5; 09-01-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-01-2014   #5 (permalink)
130 dB

Just a little guy! haha

Crescendo bc2000d
BUILD THREAD:
Old 09-01-2014   #6 (permalink)
150 dB

well ok stick with the single 6.5...might try the new sundown sw6.5

Old 09-01-2014   #7 (permalink)
130 dB

I was looking at the sundown, but only saw older talk of the prototypes. I did find them for sale on one website (emf something), but I'm not sure if they are even out yet. The sundown site doesn't show them yet either.

Has there been any new word?

Edit. Looks like emf is a legit dealer...

Edit: Looks like they are in stock as of 8/27/14 per their facebook. Might have to order one up... hmmmmm
Crescendo bc2000d
BUILD THREAD:

Last edited by 07blackg5; 09-01-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-01-2014   #8 (permalink)
130 dB

Just grabbed the sundown. they recommend .33 cubes, so I have a little room to play with, plus it was only 155 shipped.

Also, If I swap the height and width of the port, the tuning changes. Can anyone verify the specs are inputted correctly based on the box image? Thanks in advance
Crescendo bc2000d
BUILD THREAD:
Old 09-01-2014   #9 (permalink)
150 dB

on baffle thickness need to be .625 not .750

Old 09-01-2014   #10 (permalink)
150 dB

southerntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

He might be using 3/4 just for baffle.
Head Unit Pioneer DEH8300SD
Singer 275 (320 peak) Amp H.O. Alt.
Stinger OFC 0GA Power Wire & 0GA Knu Koncepts Kolassus
SSA dual inputs & terminal Distribution blocks
Big 4 done (OFC)
Extra Stinger Agm Batt. X2 (Three total)
4.5cf. Aeroported Enclosure Tuning:32HZ
southerntrendkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2014   #11 (permalink)
150 dB

other than the baffle thickness everything looks ok....14.88 square inches of port per cube is ok 15 range would be better....and since your still on the big side for a single 6.5 the 15 might be atainable

Old 09-02-2014   #12 (permalink)
130 dB

The fact that flipping the port dimensions made such a big difference got me thinking. I used the RE calc just for the visual reference, and it came out to be the same as the torres if I switched width/height values from what I had in the first specs I posted. I hope that makes sense

I reconfigured a new box, and was able to get the size down a bit. I might even be able to get the seat back 100%, where it would be optimal for my big ass.

This is what I came up with:

Sundown has the full dimensions posted, so I plugged them into WinISD and the spit out .35 for displacement. I still used .05 above, but even with .035, the tuning fq change is negligible, and the port area/cube is high 14's. Either way it will be acceptable. They rate the sa8v2 at .1, so I just went with the round .05.

sundown recommends .3-.35 net for this driver, so .38 comes pretty close. I played with the calc for a long time and this was as close as I could get while staying with manageable measurements.

Thanks Kickin for all the input
Crescendo bc2000d
BUILD THREAD:
Old 09-02-2014   #13 (permalink)
130 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntrendkill View Post
He might be using 3/4 just for baffle.
didn't see this before. the baffle thickness isn't counted in anything because the "#of extra baffles" is 0. I was just playing with options before and changed the baffles to 0, but didn't take out the thickness
Crescendo bc2000d
BUILD THREAD:
Old 09-02-2014   #14 (permalink)
150 dB

No problem bro...should work out good for you for a single 6.5

Old 09-02-2014   #15 (permalink)
130 dB

I havent had any subwoofers for a few months now, so it should be pretty nice. Im obviously not expecting anything crazy, but im hoping it will suprise me.

but going from an 18 on a bc2000d...it might be a bit underwhelming haha. My buddy has an sa8v2 In a cookie cutter box and it has some very serious output in a subaru wagon. Im hoping I have a similar experience in this tiny cabin. Time will tell
Crescendo bc2000d
BUILD THREAD:
Old 09-02-2014   #16 (permalink)
150 dB

Might turn out to be a very surprising setup ...its all in the sub and box design

Old 09-02-2014   #17 (permalink)
130 dB

I just ordered a lower Power 4 channel and some cheap speakers for the truck. I did some measurements and I can get both of my amps inside the jack cover quite easily. I need to trim the one side to fit the box, so the top will be open on each side. I don't think cooling will be an issue. It should look pretty clean with everything concealed inside the jack housing, and the box painted with bed-liner

I decided to go super budget on the door speakers because I only paid 1700 for the truck, but the sub and amps I can easily move and re-purpose.
Crescendo bc2000d
BUILD THREAD:
Old 09-02-2014   #18 (permalink)
150 dB

southerntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesoutherntrendkill has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Hey there you want to do me a favor any take my endo of your signature?? . Lol
Head Unit Pioneer DEH8300SD
Singer 275 (320 peak) Amp H.O. Alt.
Stinger OFC 0GA Power Wire & 0GA Knu Koncepts Kolassus
SSA dual inputs & terminal Distribution blocks
Big 4 done (OFC)
Extra Stinger Agm Batt. X2 (Three total)
4.5cf. Aeroported Enclosure Tuning:32HZ
southerntrendkill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2014   #19 (permalink)
130 dB

i dont have 3/4 of that stuff anymore haha
Crescendo bc2000d
BUILD THREAD:

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Enclosures