My poor OA :( - Realm of Excursion

General Car Audio & SPL Discussion B B B B BASS!!!!

Old 08-13-2013   #1 (permalink)
140 dB

98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!
Default My poor OA :(

So about 20 mins into my drive to work this morning, without any warning, my sub starting filling the Car with smoke. I thought I had blown the coil but there was no smell of the coil. So I look back and notice the dust cap was starting to melt so I quickly pulled over and tore it out of the box. Here's the damage

Now I won't deny that I beat the absolute sh!t out of this sub with my bc2k, but I'm genuinely curious as to what exactly caused this. The gain is set appropriately and at the time this happened the volume wasn't at full tilt (50/60), and the song was rather quiet as well.

I wanted to see if you guys think it appears to have been clipped to high hell, or if this a result of too much Power over a long period of time (its been on the 2k for roughly 8 months). I won't say that it has never been subjected to clipping, but if it was, it was brief and not frequent. The coil is perfectly intact and to me it looks to be the same color it was when new. Is there any way to tell the difference between simply too much power and clipping?
98Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2013   #2 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default Re: My poor OA :(

tinsel probably was already damaged before today.

i honestly think its more a overexcursion stretching/damaging the tinsels so they just can't handle the current anymore.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

profundus-sanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013   #3 (permalink)
170 dB

Fallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleFallen has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by profundus-sanus View Post
tinsel probably was already damaged before today.

i honestly think its more a overexcursion stretching/damaging the tinsels so they just can't handle the current anymore.
Agreed. Stitched tinsels usually make the problem worse. I had this with my 19Ov2. Well minus the fire. The tinsels broke cleanly. But yeah...We need a better method

Enclosure: 2 cu ft ported, tuned to 33Hz
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013   #4 (permalink)
140 dB

98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

That makes perfect sense as the discolored tinsel on the opposite side (2nd pic) has a clean break, and the other tinsel is starting to discolor as well. Thanks guys!
Old 08-13-2013   #5 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

MAN!!!

I was looking forward to showing that sub a 60Hz sine wave at 120V

I'm pissed to high hell now...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013   #6 (permalink)
130 dB

Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Might be able to if one set of terminals still works
SAZ-1500 V1
Pos & Neg FA 2/0
SSA Gcon 12 in 3 cubes at 29Hz

Quote:
Ni I'm trying to get him arrested for theft cause that much moofer for that price is an out right steal
Squeezumz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013   #7 (permalink)
140 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckerson1 View Post
MAN!!!

I was looking forward to showing that sub a 60Hz sine wave at 120V

I'm pissed to high hell now...
lol I'm not thrilled either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezumz View Post
Might be able to if one set of terminals still works
Nope The side that didn't catch fire has a broken tinsel as well.
Old 08-13-2013   #8 (permalink)
130 dB

Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Dang that kills the fun
SAZ-1500 V1
Pos & Neg FA 2/0
SSA Gcon 12 in 3 cubes at 29Hz

Quote:
Ni I'm trying to get him arrested for theft cause that much moofer for that price is an out right steal
Squeezumz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013   #9 (permalink)
140 dB

Yep no fun to be had here. However, the good part is I'm finally motivated to tear the Car down and start the redesign/rebuild for the phantom 15 now that I have no bass. I just really hope that the subs aren't stuck in customs for a long time.
Old 08-13-2013   #10 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Civic View Post
Yep no fun to be had here. However, the good part is I'm finally motivated to tear the car down and start the redesign/rebuild for the phantom 15 now that I have no bass. I just really hope that the subs aren't stuck in customs for a long time.
When you go to do it let me know man. I'm more then willing to help. Gets boring around my place.

That's a good way to look at it though. Your forced to work now lol

Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013   #11 (permalink)
160 dB

armykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblearmykyle1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

that smoke screen.

Youtube-
armykyle1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2013   #12 (permalink)
150 dB

smfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Somebody finally blew an OA. I have been trying for two years now.
Audio Control EQL
Audio Control 24XS
2002 Ford Expedition
4th Order Wall
(193.2db @ 14HZ)
smfonic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013   #13 (permalink)
140 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfonic1 View Post
Somebody finally blew an OA. I have been trying for two years now.
Yeah you don't really see many of the OA's blown up. I have had this one for around two years as well iirc. First it was on a 600rms amp, then a 1k amp, and then the bc2k. So its life just got harder and harder. It took a lot to kill it for a "600 rms" sub.

Now I need to decide if I want to recone it with the stock coil, or with the 8 layer aluminum coil. Anybody think the upgrade is worth the additional price?
Old 08-14-2013   #14 (permalink)
Sundown Audio Rep

sundownz has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesundownz has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesundownz has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesundownz has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesundownz has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesundownz has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesundownz has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesundownz has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesundownz has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesundownz has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesundownz has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Interesting failure mode... I've only seen it twice before and I am still not 100% for sure what caused it. Both of the ones I've seen also seem to shoot out 90 degrees off axis from the leads and burn into the spider and cone.

Usually a lead fails and burns locally -- the extended flaming that happens in this failure type is something I have never been able to replicate or see in person.

PS: The subs I saw with this failure were not Obsidians; for reference.
sundownz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2013   #15 (permalink)
140 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundownz View Post
Interesting failure mode... I've only seen it twice before and I am still not 100% for sure what caused it. Both of the ones I've seen also seem to shoot out 90 degrees off axis from the leads and burn into the spider and cone.

Usually a lead fails and burns locally -- the extended flaming that happens in this failure type is something I have never been able to replicate or see in person.

PS: The subs I saw with this failure were not Obsidians; for reference.
Weird. That says a lot coming from someone with so much experience. My sub was mounted in a trunk wall setup, and it appears the flame burned directly upwards which may explain why it shoots off 90 degrees from the leads

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » General Car Audio & SPL Discussion