Pioneer or Alpine? - Page 3 - Realm of Excursion

Head Units / Processors / Car Audio Electronics Discuss anything about head units, processors, and other car audio electronics.

Old 08-14-2011   #51 (permalink)
130 dB

weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!
Default Re: Pioneer or Alpine?

I have used and sold many of each brands in the last few years and one thing that I would like to add to this and I dont know if it was mentioned in a previous post as I just skimmed through is that the Pioneer hu's have a far superior fm tuner section. One thing Ive seen very lacking on the Alpines Ive owned and sold. And I fully agree with the Pioneer's sounding better (to my ears) than Alpine. I will say that I personally think the Alpines were easier to navigate through for the basic operations but agree on the Pioneers being far better for setting up in all other departments.
On a further note, I have not been impressed with JVC's sound quality. They just seem to lack depth (IMHO). Just my 2 cents.
weshole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2011   #52 (permalink)
160 dB

666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by weshole View Post
On a further note, I have not been impressed with JVC's sound quality. They just seem to lack depth (IMHO). Just my 2 cents.
Would have to disagree with JVC's SQ. I got the JVC KW-AVX840 and it sounds a hell of a lot better than the Sony Xplod (yeah, not hard). Of all the HU's I've owned it has to be one of the best and to my ear the SQ is great. And that includes being run thru a Soundstream amp and speakers.

Warning: I will more than likely offend you.

666WMD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011   #53 (permalink)
160 dB

Sicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

comparing an apple to a lemon tho 666

now put it up against a comparable pioneer and you would swear the JVC was that sony explode again lolz

Old 08-14-2011   #54 (permalink)
150 dB

tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!tony30cl has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicaudio View Post

now put it up against a comparable pioneer and you would swear the JVC was that sony explode again lolz
or an excelon
tony30cl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011   #55 (permalink)
160 dB

666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:

Will have to run some long RCAs from the truck to my car, see if I notice a difference.

Warning: I will more than likely offend you.

666WMD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2011   #56 (permalink)
130 dB

Koenig is still in the green - This is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truebassjunkie777 View Post
Not a bad unit at all, have you looked into getting a flip out screen or double din?
i haven't really looked to much into flip out screens all that much, from what few i looked at it seems to run much more expensive if you want to get a high quality flip out screen, pioneer has one for $700... i'm looking to spend 350 at the absolute most. yea big screen and dvd playback is cool and looks baller in a whip but ill probably never use the dvd player and i can live with a smaller screen especially how bad some the interface screens and menus look. imo the interface on a quality lcd screen blows any flip out radio out of the water. unless of course your willing to spend 3X as much money. and im not trying to do that. i just want it to look good sound great and last long.

And as for double din's i saw a few i really liked but they don't fit in my Car unfortunately.
Old 08-24-2011   #57 (permalink)
130 dB

weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!weshole has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Quote:

Exactly. I agree that JVS is better sound quality to Sony.

Boy, I really miss the Mobile ES from BITD. That was some top notch shiz!!
weshole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011   #58 (permalink)
150 dB

jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Any entry-level Alpine will sound better than even Pioneers' 'high-end' stuff.

Alpine rates their RCA output voltage in RMS, while Pioneers rate theirs in 'MAX'.

Pioneers begin to clip WELL before "3/4 the volume" -usually around 47/62.

I'll never purchase a Pioneer HU. Only Alpine or Eclipse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 driver, 3 way active setup w/ time delay on each driver.
CDA-9855 PDX4.100 GTO14001
70a alt. Orbital yellow top. Big3 in 4g. 150a fusing.
Custom TC 3K based 12. 140.2dB @ ~47Hz legal on the TL.
KeepItSimpleStupid
Refs: cartunez2004 (s,t), Getter (s), blackout (s,t), rrrobertson7805 (t), RidinLoudProd (s, t), stovebolt6 (t)
jmelton86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2011   #59 (permalink)
160 dB

Sicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleSicaudio has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelton86 View Post
Any entry-level Alpine will sound better than even Pioneers' 'high-end' stuff.

Alpine rates their RCA output voltage in RMS, while Pioneers rate theirs in 'MAX'.

Pioneers begin to clip WELL before "3/4 the volume" -usually around 47/62.

I'll never purchase a Pioneer HU. Only Alpine or Eclipse.

uhhh i dont think so dude... they both rate the rca voltage at rms...most pioneers start clipping at around 90+ % of max volume...same as Alpine...

lots of tests have been done that prove it...

also Pioneer is 1 of the only companies left that have a true 3+ way active deck without need of a gay ass external processor...
Old 08-25-2011   #60 (permalink)
160 dB

PREVENT CLIPPING! Set AMP GAINS like a Pro! New SMD "Distortion Detector" - Coming SOON! - YouTube

and that is a basic Pioneer dvd deck he uses... it doesnt clip til 1 or 2 ticks off of max volume...scroll to 2:05 and watch from there...61/62 on the highs... 59/62 on the sub out...thats a ton more than what you said...
Old 08-25-2011   #61 (permalink)
150 dB

jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!jmelton86 has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

I can't view it right now. What source is he using? Source level? What is the SLA adjusted to?

Pioneers are well known for clipping WAY early. Well known. Not to mention the fused RCA grounds that burn up due to poor installation (or whatever) and cause noise.

If the OP wants dirty sound, with more features than Alpine, I recommend Pioneer (can't believe I actually typed that -I feel dirty inside LoL).
If the OP wants the best sound possible, I recommend Alpine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KeepItSimpleStupid
Refs: cartunez2004 (s,t), Getter (s), blackout (s,t), rrrobertson7805 (t), RidinLoudProd (s, t), stovebolt6 (t)
Old 08-25-2011   #62 (permalink)
160 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelton86 View Post
I can't view it right now. What source is he using? Source level? What is the SLA adjusted to?

Pioneers are well known for clipping WAY early. Well known. Not to mention the fused RCA grounds that burn up due to poor installation (or whatever) and cause noise.

If the OP wants dirty sound, with more features than Alpine, I recommend Pioneer (can't believe I actually typed that -I feel dirty inside LoL).
If the OP wants the best sound possible, I recommend Alpine.
cant see the model on the deck but I do know from the sparse look it is a basic deck...

sla means nothing it is a source level adjustment to make cd fm aux usb dvd etc all sound the same level as the radio volume when you switch modes.

he is using a calibration CD with tones on it.

I think you are confusing sony with Pioneer or you are using walmart special decks lol

Pioneer has decks that rival the likes of McIntosh...they are quite well known for excellent SQ...without the need for an external processor....such as imprint... I sell most major brand decks and Pioneer outsells all the rest combined for a good reason.

the issue with the RCA your referring too hasn't been an issue in any of the newer decks the last couple years... it is the PICO fuse... it blows when you hot-swap RCA wires to protect the deck from a ground short...the new design doesn't work quite the same way

in other words it is saving the deck from disaster due to user stupidity...
Old 08-25-2011   #63 (permalink)
150 dB

I didn't know about newer models FINALLY doing away with the PICO fuse. It's about time, Pioneer!

If the SLA is all the way down on the CD source, you get more increments on the volume knob before clipping. Not to mention what level the CD was recorded at.
You can prevent nearly ANY HU from clipping -if the program source is low enough.

KeepItSimpleStupid
Old 08-25-2011   #64 (permalink)
160 dB

99.9% of the joe blow consumer out there doesnt even have a clue the SLA is there.. so it is usually at the 0 setting..having it reduced to the -4 setting doenst give you more volume it gives u less volume.. it reduces the output ...with all flat settings the decks don't clip til well into the 50+ range..

lots of posts and tests are all over regarding this...
Old 08-25-2011   #65 (permalink)
150 dB

If the SLA is all the way down (-4), you can turn the volume up more to comphensate. That's all I'm saying...

KeepItSimpleStupid
Old 08-25-2011   #66 (permalink)
160 dB

ahh gotcha..

I notice in ur sig u have a CDA-9855... I happen to have a Car here that I drive with 1 in it..... and it is not even close to the same quality as the comparatively priced 7200hd from pioneer...not on SQ features or function... not even in the same ballpark...

just sayin..lol
Old 08-25-2011   #67 (permalink)
150 dB

I value your subjective opinion.

KeepItSimpleStupid
Old 08-25-2011   #68 (permalink)
160 dB

it is a good deck but not for the going price is all I am saying. if it wasn't decent it wouldnt be in my ride lol and fwiw I love older Alpine... my CDA-9813 will shiat all over the 9887 with imprint
Old 08-25-2011   #69 (permalink)
150 dB

Trust me, I didn't pay $500 for mine LoL
I love it, though. Greatest deck I've ever owned. I don't know what I'll do if it goes out on me

KeepItSimpleStupid
Old 08-25-2011   #70 (permalink)
160 dB

I only pay dealer cost as a wholesale distribution rep but even at that it is only worth that IMO...

try a 7200HD or if ya can find a 690ub try that... night and day difference
Old 08-25-2011   #71 (permalink)
150 dB

I appreciate it, but I'll stick with Alpine or Eclipse. If I cant afford one with T/D, I'll get an entry level unit & save up for a JBL MS-2 LoL

KeepItSimpleStupid

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » Head Units / Processors / Car Audio Electronics