Realm of Excursion

Realm of Excursion (https://forum.realmofexcursion.com/)
-   Home / Pro / Portable Audio (https://forum.realmofexcursion.com/home-pro-portable-audio/)
-   -   Speakers acting funny in room. (https://forum.realmofexcursion.com/home-pro-portable-audio/21716-speakers-acting-funny-room.html)

JRF 03-12-2007 06:39 AM

Speakers acting funny in room.

I believe this is the correct place to put this, but am not sure, so if it's in the wrong place, would a mod be so kind as to move it?

Anyways, I've got three speakers in my room, one little 50 watt unknown Japanese speaker, it's a "3 way Nec-system" or something along those lines, andyways, its got an 8" sub in it, and then the mid and horn tweeter.
I've also got a set of kenwood jl-508 home theater 100 watt (per cabinet) speakers, 10" sub in each. Anyways, I get good bass in two spots in the room, and everywhere else it's like I am only running mid range drivers and tweeters.

Here is what my room looks like (roughly speaking) and where the speakers are paced. The red squares are where I get good bass, the one in the corner with the lines inside it are where I get excellent bass, more than what you would expect from this set up.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3.../misc/room.jpg

The speaker marked "2" is the smaller of the three, and it is sitting on my desk.

I also have another 8" 100 watt sub that I can hook up, but it is not shown in the diagram.

Also, my amp is right next to my door.

If you have any suggestions as to where I should place/what I should do to the speakers to get a better sound quality (I want the bass to be spread evenly throughout the room, even if that means loosing the intense bass out of the corner), or an explanation as to why it is doing this, that would be great.

Jon.

ROE 03-12-2007 06:57 AM

while frequence in the sub range are omindirectional, when applied in a room, you wil actually encounter cancellation and reverberation that will contribute to your problems. the best way to help reduce the problem is to move the sub around the room until you achieve a good blend in the area which you plan spend the most of your time.

also, being that you are running multiple systesm, this could also have an effect. i suggest you choose the system you like best and run it alone.

JRF 03-12-2007 07:47 AM

Ok, so you are saying drop the smaller speaker, perhaps sell it and get something else that matches up with the other two (which are the same)?

Also, you are saying the best bet on getting rid of my "bassless bubbles" is just to move the speakers around the room until I find a set up that works?

Tippy 03-12-2007 08:27 AM

What i think would work best (what i have set up in my room) is puttin them cabnet speakers in the right and left north(top of the pic) area in your room. Then that one little speaker right in the middle (center of the wall) of the two higher up, on the wall on a little angle pointing down.

Mike~

ROE 03-12-2007 08:29 AM

drop whichever speaker you don't need. if you prefer to run multiple speakers, try to get an idenctical pair.

as for problem, yes, move your sub around your room till you get results you like.

JRF 03-13-2007 05:49 AM

Alrite, I guess I will pack up the smaller one for now untill I can get something to match it.

And Tippy, I will try something along the lines of what you have suggested, but it won't be exactly what you have said.

daz84 03-14-2007 04:09 PM

Maybe a good idea to check the phaseing on your speakers as they could be canceling eachother out in the bass.

JRF 03-14-2007 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daz84 (Post 275263)
Maybe a good idea to check the phaseing on your speakers as they could be canceling eachother out in the bass.

This is something else I have suspected, as when I am only running one speaker there is more bass, spread evenly throughout the room, but then I hit both at the same time, the bass dissapears from some places, and concentrates in others.

how do I check said phasing?

daz84 03-15-2007 03:03 PM

Simply switch the wires around on one speaker but make sure you only have the two speakers on or three could compicate things.Also you may get better impact and stereo image by having your speakers on the same wall.