pro's computer thread - Realm of Excursion

Music & Movies & Computers & Gaming Discuss about various entertainment topics.

Old 02-27-2011   #1 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default pro's computer thread

looking for some critique on what i chose. i'll do some gaming on it, want it to be capable of doing hd video editing and dual monitor setup... as well as serious multi-tasking. everything is pretty much at my budget currently. i may add a high end phenom and a ssd later. as well as 2 more 4g sticks if i come to need it.

updated (current plan as of 3/5)

hd caviar black 1 tb sata3
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Newegg.com - XFX HD-567X-ZNF3 Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A2000C9

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

Newegg.com - Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

Newegg.com - RAIDMAX Blackstorm ATX-615WU Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by profundus-sanus; 03-05-2011 at 06:25 PM.
profundus-sanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011   #2 (permalink)
Stand back and watch this

RidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default Re: pro's computer thread

Ok main thing i see is, id go with a western digital or seagate hard drive, Ive heard nothing but bad thing about hitatchi hard drives.

Not a bad motherboard, Not a fan of asrock, just seems cheap to me but have not heard any bad reviews about them.

Nice video card though, What CPU?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RidinLoudProd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011   #3 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 840 Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX840WFGMBOX

or

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX

1st one isn't a real phenom, its just a rebadged athlon... just debating on the money.

trying to do it all "fairly" cheap and as you well know there's always something better you can justify.

i'll def swap the hitachi out for the seagate i was eyeing.

Last edited by profundus-sanus; 03-01-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2011   #4 (permalink)

RidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleRidinLoudProd has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Id say go with the 955 its a little more but its worth it IMO thats the same cpu im running

Old 03-01-2011   #5 (permalink)
170 dB

sounds good. i can justify a 40$ jump if everything else is solid.

Old 03-01-2011   #6 (permalink)

id get a different hard drive a western digital or a seagate

Old 03-01-2011   #7 (permalink)
170 dB

yea, i edited my other post right after you posted.

got a seagate barricuda thats like 15$ more that i'll get

Old 03-01-2011   #8 (permalink)
Shake & Bake!

perfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

ill send link to this to my computer guru buddy he builds gaming computers, runs a computer shop for a living

perfect_prefect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011   #9 (permalink)
170 dB

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

theres the hd

sweet perfect. i appreciate it.

Old 03-01-2011   #10 (permalink)
Shake & Bake!

perfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

as rock cheapest mother boards he knows of total garbage try gigabite
saphire one of the cheapest vid card makers on the market garbage try xfx, evga or bfg possibly, get lifetime warranty and rock it.
patriot memory sucks nothing but compatbility issues even when newegg recommended compatable try kingston
processor looks good

he is saying he cannot believe they are asking that much for that as rock mother board should only be about 40 bucks and still not even worth that much

seagate drives are nice too btw. thats what he uses in my comps.

Old 03-01-2011   #11 (permalink)
160 dB

blackdragonx1186 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!blackdragonx1186 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!blackdragonx1186 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!blackdragonx1186 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!blackdragonx1186 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!blackdragonx1186 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!blackdragonx1186 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

id agree with ridinloud. he learned all his knowledge from me

lol but really, you have some pretty good parts. i just bought a 965, and love it. using my girls board until the one i want comes in stock.

do NOT NOT NOT use hitachi. when they aquired ibm desk stars, their nicknames because death stars. i prefer WD, but seagate is pretty solid as well.

8 gigs of ram is overkill, unless you plan to do extensive video and audio processing. ive been a pc gamer for years, and for now, and the forseeable future, 4 is plenty. you can grab Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2B1600C9 . i bought this for my girl, and it works flawlessly.

99 Saturn SC2
Pioneer DEH-P510UB
Sundown 100.4D alive and screaming!
CDT UP-629-CF
CDT CL-6.25X Rear Stage
AQ HDC3 10's on DD M3A
blackdragonx1186 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect_prefect View Post
as rock cheapest mother boards he knows of total garbage try gigabite
saphire one of the cheapest vid card makers on the market garbage try xfx, evga or bfg possibly, get lifetime warranty and rock it.
patriot memory sucks nothing but compatbility issues even when newegg recommended compatable try kingston
processor looks good

he is saying he cannot believe they are asking that much for that as rock mother board should only be about 40 bucks and still not even worth that much

seagate drives are nice too btw. thats what he uses in my comps.
Yeah he is picking out cheaper equipment but its called build on a budget. my friend has been running a asrock motherboard for a while now, no issues at all.

I got a evga video card, what I love about evga is there buy there cards off of you if you wanna upgrade you send them your card and they knock off x amount off a upgraded card

If you are worried about motherboard, U can go with the same board im running, its a MSI
Newegg.com - MSI NF750-G55 AM3 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

Only thing is, I don't think it will support crossfire with ati cards because its a nvidia base board. But if you just plan on running a single ati graphics card your be n good shape. only downfall is that board does not have a optical or digital audio out, Ull need to get a soundcard to do that.

Old 03-01-2011   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragonx1186 View Post
id agree with ridinloud. he learned all his knowledge from me

lol but really, you have some pretty good parts. i just bought a 965, and love it. using my girls board until the one i want comes in stock.

do NOT NOT NOT use hitachi. when they aquired ibm desk stars, their nicknames because death stars. i prefer WD, but seagate is pretty solid as well.

8 gigs of ram is overkill, unless you plan to do extensive video and audio processing. ive been a pc gamer for years, and for now, and the forseeable future, 4 is plenty. you can grab Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2B1600C9 . i bought this for my girl, and it works flawlessly.
Go with 8 gigs of ram for video editing, my 4gb just dont cut it time to time. u can get by with 4 but just do 8 so u know your good to go

Also what power supply?

Old 03-01-2011   #14 (permalink)
Shake & Bake!

here is a list of stuff my guy put together for you pro. trust me, he knows his ish.
Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H Socket AM3 Motherboard and AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core CPU Bundle at TigerDirect.com
shop.kingston.com - Memory for your Desktop, Server, Workstation, Notebook, PDA, MP3 Player, Printer, Router and more.
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1145-TR GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
or

Newegg.com - XFX HD-467X-ZNL2 Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Low Profile Video Card

or of this list

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware,Video Cards & Video Devices,Desktop Graphics / Video Cards,XFX,ATI,1GB,1 x HDMI

couple links wound up fails.... sorry.

Old 03-01-2011   #15 (permalink)
170 dB

lulz.

well, i got some better ideas on what to look for.

Old 03-01-2011   #16 (permalink)
Shake & Bake!

he is a hardcore comp nut its great to have him on the team. lol i never have to worry about anything lol if anything dies or if anything goes wrong he takes care of everything for me

Old 03-01-2011   #17 (permalink)

Only item i like there is that 955. that motherboard only has 1 pci e slot and only supports up to 4gb of ram. Those graphic cards where nice cards But Id go with something more up to date. Build a computer now that u can update n a year or 2 instead of build a computer now that u need to replace stuff n a year or 2.

Old 03-05-2011   #18 (permalink)
170 dB

okay, decided to change some stuff up, spend a little more.

trying to decide between these 2 mobo's

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

or

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

hd

Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

ram

Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M2A2000C9

cpu

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 820 Deneb 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 4MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor HDX820WFK4FGI - Processors - Desktops

video card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161315

not sure what i'm looking for in a power supply. as i've never built a computer before i really don't know what plugs and what not i need

Last edited by profundus-sanus; 03-05-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2011   #19 (permalink)

nice cpu but you need to buy a heat sink for it, it dont come with one, and with the price of a good heat sink, for just a few bucks more u could get the 955 that comes with a heat sink

either of those motherboards look good. Maybe look for a motherboard with a digital SPDIF out to hook to your home theater receiver, Enless you plan on running it off ya graphics card threw hdmi to ya receiver then to ya tv for movies then just run a PC speaker system and a monitor for gaming? decent sound cards will run another $30 $40 and for a power supply id say ud want atleast 550 just to be on the safe side, I got a 750 just so i know im good to go and wont need to upgrade if i decide to go sli. atleast i hope not.

hard drive looks good id get a 250ish or so for ya OS and software. i got a seagate barracuda 320 for my OS and software then a 1tb for music, movies and backup of files.

Old 03-05-2011   #20 (permalink)
170 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidinLoudProd View Post
nice cpu but you need to buy a heat sink for it, it dont come with one, and with the price of a good heat sink, for just a few bucks more u could get the 955 that comes with a heat sink

either of those motherboards look good. Maybe look for a motherboard with a digital SPDIF out to hook to your home theater receiver, Enless you plan on running it off ya graphics card threw hdmi to ya receiver then to ya tv for movies then just run a PC speaker system and a monitor for gaming? decent sound cards will run another $30 $40 and for a power supply id say ud want atleast 550 just to be on the safe side, I got a 750 just so i know im good to go and wont need to upgrade if i decide to go sli. atleast i hope not.

hard drive looks good id get a 250ish or so for ya OS and software. i got a seagate barracuda 320 for my OS and software then a 1tb for music, movies and backup of files.
going to use a 32" 720p flatscreen for a monitor using a 3.5mm to rca cable and dvi cables. then an hdmi cable from the video card to my ht receiver.

didn't realize that didn't come w/ a heat sink, guess i should read lol

Newegg.com - RAIDMAX Blackstorm ATX-615WU Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Newegg.com - Antec TruePower New TP-650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply

i'm likely going to run the 1tb for now then get a ssd when the prices come down and run that for my os and some programs.

Old 03-05-2011   #21 (permalink)
170 dB

changed the video card.

realized one of my search criteria was cutting out a lot of cards that didn't need to be.

updated first post w/ my current plan

Newegg.com - XFX HD-567X-ZNF3 Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Old 03-05-2011   #22 (permalink)

why messing with 3.5 to rca and dvi? HDMI is video and audio in 1 cable, run that to ya receiver and then run a line from the receiver to the tv. Im working on doing digital to my receiver now givin me ALOT of issues. I wish i just had hdmi n on my receiver LOL

Old 03-05-2011   #23 (permalink)
170 dB

Quote:
why messing with 3.5 to rca and dvi? HDMI is video and audio in 1 cable, run that to ya receiver and then run a line from the receiver to the tv. Im working on doing digital to my receiver now givin me ALOT of issues. I wish i just had hdmi n on my receiver LOL

2 different tv's.

the 32" will get the 3.5mm to rca and dvi. then the ht receiver will get a hdmi, feeding a 47" 120hz lcd and 5 channel surround

Old 03-05-2011   #24 (permalink)

hummmmm ok, now a issue im haven with is IDK if u can run both at the same time, U might have to go into settings and switch ya sound to hdmi to analog. Im haven issues with getting a 5.1 to my receiver with a digital output. does 2.0 perfect but i want my 5.1

Old 03-05-2011   #25 (permalink)
170 dB

Quote:
hummmmm ok, now a issue im haven with is IDK if u can run both at the same time, U might have to go into settings and switch ya sound to hdmi to analog. Im haven issues with getting a 5.1 to my receiver with a digital output. does 2.0 perfect but i want my 5.1
don't need to run both at the same time.

whenever the hdmi is in use it will be overriding the "monitor speakers" as i'd rather use the ht speakers when its playing on the 47"

using hdcp should just make it switch back and forth when i switch sources on the avr HOPEFULLY. thats how it works on my laptop(corsses fingers)

ati says that the chipset supports 7.1, but can't find any info on the card other than that some have issues w/ realtek drivers on the mobo, so you have to download a realtek driver for the card for them to not conflict.

Realm of Excursion » Lounge » Music & Movies & Computers & Gaming