I need suggestions for 6.5's asap - Realm of Excursion

The "No Question is Dumb" Forum A forum for people new to mobile audio to ask anything they like, no matter how simple or searchable the answer might be.

Old 01-27-2014   #1 (permalink)
120 dB

the_dealer is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...
Default I need suggestions for 6.5's asap

Hey guys, im looking to replace my factory speakers as soon as possible, and I need all the help I can get. Here's what I have:

2003 Jeep Liberty
Pioneer Avh-x4600bt
Stock 6.5" mids in doors & dash tweeters(front)
Stock 6.5" coaxials in doors(rear)
Sound Ordinance 350x1@2ohms
E10d4(wired @2ohm), 1.5cuft@33ish

All of my speakers are blown or dying. Im trying to get this done as cheap as possible, but I still want decent sound and more output. I dont really have experience with regular speakers besides the $40 pioneer or xplod's from WalMart. Anything better would blow me away. I need help picking out a 6.5" 2way comp set(preferably with adjustable tweeter option on the crossover), 6.5" coaxials for my rear doors, and a small amp. My budget is $300ish for everything.

1) Would a coaxial of HU Power have the clarity/output to work well with my sub? If I dont amp, I can afford higher quality speakers. Most likely morel Maximo6c's or ID 6.5's. Would there be a benefit in front coaxials vs mid in the doors/tweets on the dash? My stock front mids sit kinda low in the doors.
2) Would a cheaper comp set up front and decent coaxials in the rear on a small amp work out better? Having never really heard comps before I dont know what to expect. Something like this: WoofersEtc.com - CL-61A.2-25 PRO+FD2100 - CDT Audio/ARC audio 6.5" Component Sound Quality Package

I dont have any experience with the tuning required with comp sets, would I be better off with good coaxials on a small amp? Im not looking to win any awards, and the only thing I really want to avoid is a harsh tweeter. Im open to any suggestions and opinions that anyone has. Thanks!
the_dealer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014   #2 (permalink)
I shake the earth from down under.

49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default Re: I need suggestions for 6.5's asap

I've owned the cdt cl61a comps and the crossovers are junk but they mids and tweets sound amazing. Clean clear and detailed. Not the loudest mids but can keep up with a 130+ system
49konvict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014   #3 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

i'd definitely go with a 4channel, and spend about 2x as much on the comp set as the coax's.

i'll see if i can find some suggestions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

profundus-sanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014   #4 (permalink)
120 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49konvict View Post
I've owned the cdt cl61a comps and the crossovers are junk but they mids and tweets sound amazing. Clean clear and detailed. Not the loudest mids but can keep up with a 130+ system
When u say the crossovers are junk, are you refering referring the lifespan of them? At first I was looking at the hifonics atl6.5c, ppi s2.65c, and cadence s6k. The price range is appealing, and I thought amped either one of those would be better then a coaxial. Are any of those listed decent? Keep in mind im usually satisfied with the Wally world pioneers, xplod's, etc. If any of the components I listed will outperform the $40 pioneer coaxial(if run on the same amp)im used to, I'd be completely happy. I ran the xplod 4x6 and 6.5 in my wrangler with the same equipment and they worked "ok". The less I spend, the more money I can put towards changing my sub setup. At the same time, I dont want to buy junk neither. If there would be a big difference between the $50 comps I listed and say the cdt's, I can justify spending the extra money. Also what are some thoughts on the hifonics zrx600.4? Would most similar sized/price amps be about the same(excluding boss, Jensen, Pyle)?

Another question I have is about changing my sub and amp setup. I am thinking about going to a SA-8, with around .7cuft @32-35hz. I already have a new brx1200.1 i plan on powering it with. I want to free up some space with the smaller required box size. How would it compare to my e10 on 350w? I would most likely run it at 2ohms. Would I notice a difference in output from the change? Smaller sub, but almost twice the power. Would a SA-8 hit 40hz and lower the same as the e10? Btw thanks guys for the quick response, I've been searching thru google for the past couple of weeks but it still left me hanging
Old 01-27-2014   #5 (permalink)

49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Yes mine died in less than 6 months so I just ran the mids full range and it still sounded great. Morel and HAT both have coaxles that I've heard good things about but you will be much better off with a set of comps.
Old 01-27-2014   #6 (permalink)
130 dB

Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!Squeezumz has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Yeah my CDT set had broken crossovers from the start. Used the set for some bookshelves and my woofer are full range too. X2 on them sounding great, friends think so too
SAZ-1500 V1
Pos & Neg FA 2/0
SSA Gcon 12 in 3 cubes at 29Hz

Quote:
Ni I'm trying to get him arrested for theft cause that much moofer for that price is an out right steal
Squeezumz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2014   #7 (permalink)
120 dB

I think I'll go with the cdt's. I've notice crossovers being sold separate, could u use any crossover if the cdt one craps out? How about the hifonics amp, or would there be a better choice for around the same price? Hifonics ZRX600.4 Zeus Series 600W 4-Channel Car Amplifier

Any thoughts on going from my e10 on 350w to an SA-8 on more power? My brx1200.1 will do 500@4ohms, but could the sa-8 handle 900@2ohms if I turn the gain all the way down? How would the e10 compare to the sa-8 as far as ability to play under 40hz. Im pretty happy with the e10, but with a .65-.7 cuft net box and sa-8 I would gain alot of room. I dont want to be thinking im gaining room with no sacrifice in spl, and end up dis-satisfied.
Old 01-27-2014   #8 (permalink)

The zrx should work fine. Good power for the money. Now I haven't heard a e10 but the sa8v2 I demoed was very impressive and dug low. I just don't know how much louder it would be. Oh and it can handle all that brz can throw at it if you know what to watch for.
Old 01-27-2014   #9 (permalink)
150 dB

matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

why not just buy mids tweeters separate? i have the older mp-8's an XST2 tweeters. i use fmods for the crossovers i have 2 x 3500 hz low pass and 2 x 3500 high pass. to me it sounds pretty good and is pretty dang loud.
stetsom 1k6es2 for 8 mp-8's
2 crescendo XST2 super tweeters
3 X 100 AH CSB batteries
stetsom vs400.4 for tweets
matt.u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2014   #10 (permalink)
120 dB

Since the sa8 hits mech limits before thermal, so you wouldn't smell signs of overpowering, I dont know what to try and feed a single. I've read alot of contradicting information. I feel like 450@4ohms wouldn't be enough, but would 800@2 be too much?
Old 01-29-2014   #11 (permalink)
160 dB

Burkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBurkem_10 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

don't have time to read. I love my HAT Imagines though. I'd buy em again in a heart beat.
Cadence ZRS-C9
HAT Imagine 6.5s active
Rockford Fosgate 360.3
Burkem_10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2014   #12 (permalink)

Just because your amp will do 800 doesn't mean you have to run full power to it. Right now I have my 150rms 6.5 inch sub on over ddouble the rms and it does fine. You just have to know how to properly set your gain and what to listen for.
Old 01-29-2014   #13 (permalink)
120 dB

I ordered the cdt CL-61A-25 PRO, ZRX600.4, and alpine SPS-610 today. I was unsure about the alpines for the rear but whatever. Im sure they are better then the busted factory junk I have now. Thanks guys for the help.
Old 03-06-2014   #14 (permalink)
Shake & Bake!

perfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleperfect_prefect has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Honestly i would recommend 2 pair of memphis mclass coaxials, they are about $100 per pair at a memphis dealer. I have used them in a few installs and they are very versatile, you could run them all off a nice little 2 channel passive and sound great i run a pair of the 5.25"s off the front 2 channels of my sax200.4
perfect_prefect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2014   #15 (permalink)
120 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect_prefect View Post
Honestly i would recommend 2 pair of memphis mclass coaxials, they are about $100 per pair at a memphis dealer. I have used them in a few installs and they are very versatile, you could run them all off a nice little 2 channel passive and sound great i run a pair of the 5.25"s off the front 2 channels of my sax200.4
I actually finished installing everything last sunday. It took a couple days for me to get xovers and everything set how I like them , but I'm definitely happy. Before, my normal full tilt level was between 35-38 on the hu, which was about 95% (yea I know). Now it's 28-30, and is alot louder. I'm amazed at how much better it sounds. I can hear things in songs that I never heard before! Now I need to upgrade my sub/amp to keep up. I will say I'm able to give the e15 the full 350w, which before I had the gain set at 17.5v with my dmm because it overpowered the rest of the speakers.
Old 03-06-2014   #16 (permalink)

Im glad you are happy withbthe comps. Deaden the doors and they will really come to life. As for subs your going to have a hard time finding something to beat the e on the power you have. When yoir ready to upgrade I'd look at the obsidian. Amazing sub for the price. Also look at tantric and see what will fit your budget. Murphy is very willing to work with people and find exactly what you need for you budget and will even build the sub just for your liking.
Old 03-06-2014   #17 (permalink)
120 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49konvict View Post
Im glad you are happy withbthe comps. Deaden the doors and they will really come to life. As for subs your going to have a hard time finding something to beat the e on the power you have. When yoir ready to upgrade I'd look at the obsidian. Amazing sub for the price. Also look at tantric and see what will fit your budget. Murphy is very willing to work with people and find exactly what you need for you budget and will even build the sub just for your liking.
I actually started with the front doors, then the rear doors, and the rear tailgate. I did the inner and outer door skins. I used a mix of brands, Eastwood and roadkill. I bought them on sale to do 100% coverage in my wrangler, so I decided to use it. I actually did the deadening and wire running a few days before. I do want to hit some areas around the cargo area. i do have a question...I'm running 10g power/ground to my 350w@2ohm. I know it's prolly undersized or right there at it. Would I notice a difference by going to the reccomended 6g or possibly 4g? I'm not sure if I'm having issues from it, but the amp gets warm at times. I haven't checked for voltage drop since this is the first time I've been able to run the sub at full tilt. I set the gain with a dmm to 26.4 (was around 17v before to not overpower my front/rear stage). I'm not sure I did it right for the rest, so feel free to correct me. For the SSF I played a 33hz tone (box is 35hz), then turned it clockwise until I saw a drop, then back counterclockwise a **** hair. Same thing with the lpf set to 80hz with a tone. I know the gain is set right, but do I need to go back and set the ssf & lpf by ear playing tones? Everything sounds good, but the first tone in jeezy's "put on" doesn't go well with anything over 22(max unclipped is 30-32) on the volume knob. Even then it's not loud at all. If I go any higher with the ssf my lows sound weak, even at above tuning. Is this how it is, or a cheap quality/low power amp thing?
Old 03-06-2014   #18 (permalink)

That's how it is with ported boxes with higher tuning.
Old 03-06-2014   #19 (permalink)

And you're wire is to small. Your probably getting mad voltage drop.
Old 03-07-2014   #20 (permalink)
120 dB

So I checked the voltage at idle and it was about 13.7 at idle with the volume all the way down, and would drop to around 12.5 at full tilt. I'm guessing that's too much drop for only 350 watts
Old 03-07-2014   #21 (permalink)

Yeah. Im at around 300 rms on stock electrical in a corollary and only drop . 4 full tilt on tones.
Old 03-07-2014   #22 (permalink)
120 dB

How much does yours drop? My alternator(148amp) is pcm controlled, and guys are running alot more than me without problems. I also have the big 3 and a new replacement alternator. I'll go out in a few and see how much drop I get on a tone.
Old 03-07-2014   #23 (permalink)

From 13.8 to 13.4 with a 80 amp alt and no big three.
Old 03-08-2014   #24 (permalink)
120 dB

Yea I drop just under 12 with a low 30's tone. I ordered a knukonceptz 4awg kit so hopefully that will help out. I plan on a change in my sub/amp coming up so I didn't want to spend too much coin
Old 03-08-2014   #25 (permalink)

That should help. Also you should do the big 3 before you upgrade to more power.

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » The "No Question is Dumb" Forum