How to never blow a sub or amp again? - Realm of Excursion

The "No Question is Dumb" Forum A forum for people new to mobile audio to ask anything they like, no matter how simple or searchable the answer might be.

Old 02-19-2014   #1 (permalink)
120 dB

BenzSPL is in the red -  Must have upset some poeple...
Default How to never blow a sub or amp again?

Like the title states.

I have not had a stable system until this day whether it was the amp frying or the subs blowing and even blown fuses.

I have always kept the bass boost down.

Since I got the new amp and wires I don't want to destroy it after one week.

Could the issue be the cheap amp kit I had in the past?

Will all these problems go away once I install the new KnuKonceptz kit?
BenzSPL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2014   #2 (permalink)
120 dB

Default Re: How to never blow a sub or amp again?

Also the current amp in my Car (Audiophonics) completely shut off randomly and is not turning back on..... no Power or protect light and no burning smell.

Could this issue be a blow power Wire fuse, or a blown fuse on the amp itself?
Old 02-20-2014   #3 (permalink)
130 dB

shizzzon has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersshizzzon has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersshizzzon has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

SPL-LAB SMART Monitor
shizzzon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014   #4 (permalink)
I shake the earth from down under.

49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzzon View Post
SPL-LAB SMART Monitor
Plug much?
49konvict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014   #5 (permalink)
150 dB

arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

How to never blow your equipment?
1) buy quality equipment
2) quality installation including proper wire size, properly sized fuses, solid electrical, and a properly designed enclosure
3) set the amp up correctly
4) listen to your new system

It's not hard to set up a daily driver system that doesn't constantly fail...

2008 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L
Audio:1x RF R1200-1D, 1x RF R250x4, 2x Sundown 10" SD2, 2x RF P1652, 1x RF P1652-s, Q-logic kickpanels, Knu wiring, Knu RCA's, custom enclosure with amp rack
Performance Mods: Coming Soon
arcwcb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014   #6 (permalink)
160 dB

cxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

As long as you use good gear, a proper install and common sense you shouldn't have any issues. The only item I've ever burned up was from abusing it day in and day out

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cxa0897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014   #7 (permalink)
130 dB

BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Second what arc and cad said .... I've had the system in my truck for 3 years and never had a problem until recently the rca input on my sub amp went out and I play it loud all the time ..... most of the installs I do are redoing someone else's install where they used cheap gear I've even got to the point where if someone comes to me and says they want the cheapest amp and subs I can get I politely tell them I don't do that kind of install and send them to a local stereo shop or flea market
BigBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2014   #8 (permalink)

49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible49konvict has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Learn to set yoir gains properly and have the electrical to support your power are the two big things. I've ran 150 rms subs on 1k and 1k subs on 150. If you know what to listen for and when to turn it down you'll be fine. I've only had one amp die on my and it was because it was old and the board just gave from years of use and one sub die because I was pushing it hard below tuning and separated the former at the cone. Nothing a little goop couldn't fix.
Old 02-21-2014   #9 (permalink)
120 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzSPL View Post
Also the current amp in my car (Audiophonics) completely shut off randomly and is not turning back on..... no power or protect light and no burning smell.

Could this issue be a blow power wire fuse, or a blown fuse on the amp itself?
Any thoughts?
Old 02-21-2014   #10 (permalink)
150 dB

arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!arcwcb has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Get your DMM and check for voltage. This is Install 101 stuff, we can't tell you which fuse blew. Check for voltage before and after the main fuse, check for voltage at the end of the power wire run, check continuity across the amp fuse. If that is all good, check resistance from the end of the ground wire to chassis. If it's high, check where the ground wire is connected to ensure it isn't loose. If that all checks out, check for voltage on the remote wire. Once you've done all that, come back and we can maybe help figure out the issue.

Audio:1x RF R1200-1D, 1x RF R250x4, 2x Sundown 10" SD2, 2x RF P1652, 1x RF P1652-s, Q-logic kickpanels, Knu wiring, Knu RCA's, custom enclosure with amp rack
Old 02-21-2014   #11 (permalink)
160 dB

Darkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

even the cheapest gear can last awhile with proper care... i had a boss amp last about 4 years when i sold it it was still working. so i wouldnt say that cheap gear will always blow. but proper electrical always helps.

H/U - pioneer
Amps - Sundown SCV3000, jl audio 300/4
Subs - Soundqubed 12" 4.8cu.ft net 34hz tune
Mids/High - mids= Stereo Integrity tm65MKII tweets=Tang Band 28-847SD
Power - 4 runs - 1/0 Audio Technix wire, Mechman 240A., 55ah bat upfront 50ah bat in trunk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Darkmage1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2014   #12 (permalink)
150 dB

smfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

This deserves a huge FACEPALM!
Audio Control EQL
Audio Control 24XS
2002 Ford Expedition
4th Order Wall
(193.2db @ 14HZ)
smfonic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014   #13 (permalink)
150 dB

^I agree

Old 02-22-2014   #14 (permalink)
150 dB

matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!matt.u has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smfonic1 View Post
This deserves a huge FACEPALM!
as long as he is willing to learn we can help we all have to start somewhere.
stetsom 1k6es2 for 8 mp-8's
2 crescendo XST2 super tweeters
3 X 100 AH CSB batteries
stetsom vs400.4 for tweets
matt.u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2014   #15 (permalink)
150 dB

smfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesmfonic1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.u View Post
as long as he is willing to learn we can help we all have to start somewhere.
Yep, your right.
Audio Control EQL
Audio Control 24XS
2002 Ford Expedition
4th Order Wall
(193.2db @ 14HZ)
smfonic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014   #16 (permalink)
120 dB

Quote:
Also the current amp in my car (Audiophonics) completely shut off randomly and is not turning back on..... no power or protect light and no burning smell.

Could this issue be a blow power wire fuse, or a blown fuse on the amp itself?
Found the issue, after opening up the battery I noticed my power wire had exploded or melted? inside of the fuse block. Luckily nothing caught on fire.

I had a similar issue like this in the past where the tip of my ground wire exploded/melted in the place it was bolted onto the chassis.

Moral of the story, don't ever use cheap wires even if it's a rush job... Be patient and order new wires.
Old 02-23-2014   #17 (permalink)
Angry old man

Location: Las Vegas,1971-present,someday i'll retire in Idaho
sri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblesri3850341 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
don't ever use cheap wires even if it's a rush job... Be patient and order new wires.
Most of the time, melted conductors or blown fuses are indication of a few things.
Bad install (loose connections), not using proper sized wire for the current draw, bad grounds.. If you had a connection at a junction block and it welded itself to the junction block then more than likely you had it loose... From my experience if you had used the wrong size cable it would short directly at the source of power..Stuff goes "POOF" when you drop below rail voltage and your still trying to produce a signal, the more you pull the more heat you produce, heat is our enemy.. Maybe you could list your current electrical platform and maybe we could find any issues you might be overlooking.. Remember, your electrical is the foundation your system is built on!! You wouldn't build a 2 story house on a 4" slab, would ya?

Another little tid bit of info is, your amps and speakers pull power from the power source, the power source doesn't give it, hence the term "draw", your equipment will pull power till the end, and in doing so works harder the further the power source goes down..

GUESS WHO GUYS???? AND NO CHEATING

Rockford Fosgate PPS4-6 mids
Image Dynamics XS-28 tweets
Hifonics GLX1000.1
2 Sundown E10's with a Pete designed enclosure...

Last edited by sri3850341; 02-23-2014 at 06:28 AM.
sri3850341 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2014   #18 (permalink)
130 dB

BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!BigBird has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Is that tony30 ?
Old 02-23-2014   #19 (permalink)

Yeah looks like tonys blacura. Tony has actually grown up some.
Old 02-23-2014   #20 (permalink)
130 dB

Dose he still get on ?
Old 02-23-2014   #21 (permalink)

He's banned from here but is on caco. Has done walls and has really matured. Still a dumbass but not as bad as he used to be.
Old 02-23-2014   #22 (permalink)
130 dB

Have his installs got any better though ?
Old 02-23-2014   #23 (permalink)

A million times better. And he uses some decent equip now
Old 02-23-2014   #24 (permalink)
130 dB

Thats good then !
Old 02-23-2014   #25 (permalink)
120 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri3850341 View Post
Most of the time, melted conductors or blown fuses are indication of a few things.
Bad install (loose connections), not using proper sized wire for the current draw, bad grounds.. If you had a connection at a junction block and it welded itself to the junction block then more than likely you had it loose... From my experience if you had used the wrong size cable it would short directly at the source of power..Stuff goes "POOF" when you drop below rail voltage and your still trying to produce a signal, the more you pull the more heat you produce, heat is our enemy.. Maybe you could list your current electrical platform and maybe we could find any issues you might be overlooking.. Remember, your electrical is the foundation your system is built on!! You wouldn't build a 2 story house on a 4" slab, would ya?

Another little tid bit of info is, your amps and speakers pull power from the power source, the power source doesn't give it, hence the term "draw", your equipment will pull power till the end, and in doing so works harder the further the power source goes down..

GUESS WHO GUYS???? AND NO CHEATING

Thanks for the advice!

I believe my power wire looks to be 8g, it is too small and I should've known better when the shop installed it because it was the only kit they had and they were open late. Since my amp is weak I thought the wires were big enough to handle it, guess I was wrong.

After my original ground wire exploded, I bought a cheap 4g amp kit and only replaced the ground wire which until this day has not melted or exploded.

Stock battery is my electrical, no upgrades or anything like that.

My system is strictly for a daily driver only and I do not want a competition setup.

Since my battery is located in the trunk, can I ground my amp directly to the negative post on the battery instead of the chassis?

Realm of Excursion » Car Audio Discussion » The "No Question is Dumb" Forum