Realm of Excursion

Realm of Excursion (https://forum.realmofexcursion.com/)
-   The "No Question is Dumb" Forum (https://forum.realmofexcursion.com/no-question-dumb-forum/)
-   -   alternator (https://forum.realmofexcursion.com/no-question-dumb-forum/78103-alternator.html)

97_eldo 11-27-2014 02:45 AM

alternator

recently had a rear bearing drop out on my alt. i was lucky and had kept my old alt so i could change out the back casing, at the same time i changed the brushes as well.
now when at idle rpm voltage drops off pretty low, down to 11.6v. i know i have to replace the alt but would like to fix this issue to tie me over. any suggestions as to what i should be looking at as the cause of the low idle voltage.
at 1000 rpm voltage climbs back up to 13.6 as long as the load isn't too great....no stereo at this point to keep it safe from the low voltage

many thanx :)

KickinBlazer 11-27-2014 03:28 AM

Re: alternator

sound like your rectifier might have a problem and does it have a overdrive pully? and is it a HO alt from a big company?

97_eldo 11-27-2014 03:35 AM

no overdrive pulley and not a big name....just a standard 140 amp cs144 alt.
i was thinking about changing out the diodes but didn't have a tester handy so thought i would try without......it's a pita to get it out of the car (drops out the bottom, darn front wheel drive :( ...) but i guess i'll try and change them and see.
thanx kickin

KickinBlazer 11-27-2014 04:08 AM

well bro you can get a ebay cs144 for cheaper than mechman and singer and im sure that will do better than what you got...or just get a mechman one or a singer....if you get like a 200 or a 220 amp its only 300 shipped i believe and they do around 115+ at idle

97_eldo 11-27-2014 04:35 AM

shipping things to canada has a nice price tag attached for some strange reason....then we have to pay taxes.
i have some parts that can hoppefully get me past the silly season. not to mention we have to move in a short time too. money gremlins are lurking everywhere

KickinBlazer 11-27-2014 04:37 AM

i see....well you might be able to find a cs144 rebuild kit for higher amperage....mainly need a pully rectifier and diodes and such

97_eldo 11-30-2014 04:31 PM

tested all diodes in the bridge rectifier all seem to test good, as a whole and individually.
hope that cleaning all the contacts and the interals will solve the issue.
i'm also changing out the rotor cause the slip rings are worn pretty good
fingers crossed :)

Beckerson1 12-03-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97_eldo (Post 946470)
tested all diodes in the bridge rectifier all seem to test good, as a whole and individually.
hope that cleaning all the contacts and the interals will solve the issue.
i'm also changing out the rotor cause the slip rings are worn pretty good
fingers crossed :)

Hope you get things to work out

97_eldo 12-05-2014 05:22 AM

all diodes test at .566 forward and 0 reverse on a diode test and if my old mind hasn't slipped away they should read around .6 so that should have them right around where they are supposed to be, correct ?

fast98ws6 10-05-2015 07:05 PM

in the meantime, what about looking for a smaller pulley to speed up the RPM at idle?