Realm of Excursion

Realm of Excursion (https://forum.realmofexcursion.com/)
-   Product Reviews (https://forum.realmofexcursion.com/product-reviews/)
-   -   hifonics,kenwood and eclipse (https://forum.realmofexcursion.com/product-reviews/72609-hifonics-kenwood-eclipse.html)

tony30cl 06-15-2011 12:01 PM

hifonics,kenwood and eclipse

ok first off ill go ahead an review the hifonics #1)the hfi12d4 subwoofer(i have 2) well ill start by saying they have been great subs and have alot of life left, they handle gobs of power and sound good doing it, the only con i had out of those would be the freq. range....quite frankly it isnt all that good the high bass is fantastic but they couldhave made a better low note IMO

#2)hifonics txi7506 - great amp, i ended up with it brand new from a buddy the first time did great then it failed BUT it was my fault...i had 8 gauge running the amp. the second one is still going strong ive played 3 hrs on full tilt on a road trip and it didnt protect for heat at all (of course i have a fan) , now the power it really puts out IS at least 700 rms , i had it clamp tested ad an audiosolutions near by and they said both of them did 860 (could be wrong but just throwing it out there)

#3)the kenwood 7205...DONT GET IT nuff said poor power i thought they were good amps but no.

#4)the Eclipse SE5000 3-Way 5.25's ...good for the price, especially comming from a reputable company ive had them for 3 years with no probs at all

#5)last one, the kenwood kdc-mp435u , good all around headunit i will own one again , the filters seem to be a little off for the HPF settings and +-3 on the LPF , this headunit clips very easily (26/35) although this can be overlooked i think its an important aspect of the quality ......

PEACE hope you guys can use this

Sicaudio 06-15-2011 12:21 PM

Re: hifonics,kenwood and eclipse

the HFI are not meant to be low end monstrers... weak motor and high FS = good for 38+ only... which is typical for most people.

Brian10962001 09-15-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony30cl (Post 862241)
ok first off ill go ahead an review the hifonics #1)the hfi12d4 subwoofer(i have 2) well ill start by saying they have been great subs and have alot of life left, they handle gobs of power and sound good doing it, the only con i had out of those would be the freq. range....quite frankly it isnt all that good the high bass is fantastic but they couldhave made a better low note IMO

#5)last one, the kenwood kdc-mp435u , good all around headunit i will own one again , the filters seem to be a little off for the HPF settings and +-3 on the LPF , this headunit clips very easily (26/35) although this can be overlooked i think its an important aspect of the quality ......

The HFi is the best budget subwoofer I've ever owned aside from some of the Credence (Kicker) comp subs I won for close to their price years ago. Build quality on the HFi's had me paranoid but I've ran them for a while now and they've been great. I don't believe they'll tolerate abuse well as one of the first marathon sessions I gave them I had the coils smelling, but since then no issues to speak of.

Kenwood head units are some of the best I've found, they have a good set of features and they're RELIABLE! I would say the issue you're having with clipping is more from your source material. For instance I can play John Mellencamp's Rain on the Scarecrow fully open at 35 on all 3 of my decks with everything flat (HP 80hz, LP 100hz) with no clipping or distortion. Try this with something more modern and there's no way, 31 and you're getting into audible distortion, some very greedy tracks you can't turn past 29 on my setups.

tony30cl 09-15-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian10962001 (Post 875045)
The HFi is the best 25 dollar subwoofer I've ever owned aside from some of the Credence (Kicker) comp subs I won for close to that price years ago. Build quality on the HFi's had me paranoid but I've ran them for a while now and they've been great. I don't believe they'll tolerate abuse well as one of the first marathon sessions I gave them I had the coils smelling, but since then no issues to speak of.

Kenwood head units are some of the best I've found, they have a good set of features and they're RELIABLE! I would say the issue you're having with clipping is more from your source material. For instance I can play John Mellencamp's Rain on the Scarecrow fully open at 35 on all 3 of my decks with everything flat (HP 80hz, LP 100hz) with no clipping or distortion. Try this with something more modern and there's no way, 31 and you're getting into audible distortion, some very greedy tracks you can't turn past 29 on my setups.

since this ive upgraded to two bxi12d4 (3'' coils 20lb motors ;) ) and a new h/u comin in .. kdc-mp538u

Brian10962001 09-15-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sicaudio (Post 862244)
the HFI are not meant to be low end monstrers... weak motor and high FS = good for 38+ only... which is typical for most people.

Just the way I like a car audio sub :cool:

Chevy 01-16-2012 03:00 PM

I've owned probably around 6+ head units, the the ones that aren't amping speakers clip at about 32-34 (depending on song), and the ones that are amping speakers start to clip at 28-29 but it's hardly noticeable.