Going to look at a 97 LX civic tomorrow - Realm of Excursion

Vehicle Discussion / Performance / Modification Discuss anything related to vehicle peformance & modications.

Old 05-13-2013   #1 (permalink)
150 dB

dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!
Default Going to look at a 97 LX civic tomorrow

before i go, anyone got anything i should look for? like anything they are known for? il let chyall know how it goes when i get back :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New build soon to come
dumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2013   #2 (permalink)
160 dB

cxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossiblecxa0897 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible
Default Re: Going to look at a 97 LX civic tomorrow

I would look for subs in the trunk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cxa0897 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #3 (permalink)
140 dB

snow0707 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!snow0707 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!snow0707 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!snow0707 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
before i go, anyone got anything i should look for? like anything they are known for?
look for a emblem with an "H" on it if it has one just keep looking.
snow0707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #4 (permalink)
140 dB

98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Look for rust starting to form on the wheel wells, bottom of the doors, and where the windshield meets the roof. Try to find out when the timing belt was last changed. I'd recommend the belt be changed every 60-70k miles or so to be safe. The d series engines are interference engines, so if the belt gives out, you will likely be putting a lot of money into it. Make sure to check the engine oil and all other fluids as well.
98Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #5 (permalink)
160 dB

666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

A Hoonda? Really?

Warning: I will more than likely offend you.

666WMD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #6 (permalink)
170 dB

profundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleprofundus-sanus has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

timing belt is probably the biggest thing.

well that and if your 18 will fit or not

profundus-sanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #7 (permalink)
160 dB

666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible666WMD has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Buy a Toymota. They last forever and are cheap to fix. Whatever you get, don't buy an automatic.

Old 05-13-2013   #8 (permalink)
150 dB

dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!dumpy has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

NEVER an auto, couldn't even bring myself to buyanauto, civ, every hi you said was wrong with it Lil the whole underside was rotten,the quarters were pretty well bondo. Apparently the timing belt was done about a month or two ago. Needless to say I told em no. Lol

New build soon to come
dumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #9 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
NEVER an auto, couldn't even bring myself to buyanauto, civ, every hi you said was wrong with it Lil the whole underside was rotten,the quarters were pretty well bondo. Apparently the timing belt was done about a month or two ago. Needless to say I told em no. Lol
Also something that hasn't been mentioned is don't buy modded. Unless you know the person and how they treated the car. You can't always tell if its been beat on. Especially civic's as they are cheap to mod (well until you hit my generation then its expensive. "Only" true tuner on the market is right around 700 used and new, none ware and tare item so resale is basically new price. There were more but went out of buisness as they couldn't compete) and well the god forsaken ricers. Freaken piss me off

Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #10 (permalink)
140 dB

98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!98Civic has the second highest rating possible - An extreme assest to the forum!

Yeah try to find one that hasn't been modded. If its already modded then they have likely been beating on it. Also, if you are still shopping around for civics I'd recommend you get an EX or Si model. The lower levels don't have the vtec yo. Even the d16y8 and d16z6 motors can be slow, and they are rated for 30hp more than the non vtec versions. Gas mileage isn't all that different between the vtec and non vtec. And I would take a Honda over a similar model Toyota any day. Same if not better reliability, both are cheap, the Honda's have better performance, and look better.
98Civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #11 (permalink)
140 dB

Slobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersSlobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersSlobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

But Hondas lack torque!!!!

Seriously though like everyone said. Find a stock one. If it has so much as a seat cover the owner probably drove the snot out of it. Also do the bounce test on each corner of the Car to check shocks... I personally prefer the accord over the civic. I like the extra room and power, also 89-98 accord 4 cyl's came with one of the many F22 varients which have plenty of tq. Also the F transmissions bolt up directly to H series engines but have longer gearing which is good if you want a swap for more Power but still want to retain ridiculous gas mileage.
Slobalt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #12 (permalink)
150 dB

Beckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleBeckerson1 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobalt7 View Post
But Hondas lack torque!!!!

Seriously though like everyone said. Find a stock one. If it has so much as a seat cover the owner probably drove the snot out of it. Also do the bounce test on each corner of the Car to check shocks... I personally prefer the accord over the civic. I like the extra room and power, also 89-98 accord 4 cyl's came with one of the many F22 varients which have plenty of tq. Also the F transmissions bolt up directly to H series engines but have longer gearing which is good if you want a swap for more power but still want to retain ridiculous gas mileage.
They may lack torque but they are hell of a fun drive. At least the Si's

Ya iirc my dad have a 90-94 Accord (I was to young to remember the year) and he loved that car. Stick to boot. Heck I about wrecked the thing when I was younger.

You know how little boys are. Whats that lever do

While on a hill and I knocked it out of gear somehow...

Beckerson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013   #13 (permalink)
140 dB

Slobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersSlobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum membersSlobalt7 has a solid reputation - Well liked by the forum members

I used to have a 92 had 280k and the alt and dizzy went out at the same time.

I had a short shifter, axle back, and civic upper control arms on it. Was going to lower it so the front would look right with the camber the uppers gave but never got around to it.
Old 05-13-2013   #14 (permalink)
160 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Civic View Post
Yeah try to find one that hasn't been modded. If its already modded then they have likely been beating on it. Also, if you are still shopping around for civics I'd recommend you get an EX or Si model. The lower levels don't have the vtec yo. Even the d16y8 and d16z6 motors can be slow, and they are rated for 30hp more than the non vtec versions. Gas mileage isn't all that different between the vtec and non vtec. And I would take a Honda over a similar model Toyota any day. Same if not better reliability, both are cheap, the Honda's have better performance, and look better.
Funny you say they have better performance than a Toyota. When I had my stock 85 Corolla FXGT there wasn't a stock pre-90's Honda around that could get away from me. CRX, Prelude, Accord or Civic, 1600 or 1800cc, my Fixgit kept up with them all, even with a drop of oil and the water pump impeller rusted away for months. Knew plenty of people that blew up their vtecs though or rusted away. Maybe it's just the ones in NZ that don't like salt air (for breathing or rusting). Even my parents 94 Camry is still going strong and has some go for a 2.0l station wagon.

Old 05-13-2013   #15 (permalink)
160 dB

Darkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

i would take a toyota over a honda any day of the week. they hold there value the best and are easily one of the most reliable vehicles aver produced

Kelley Blue Book Value Leaders 2012
Rank Model 36 months 60 months
1 Jeep Wrangler 68.0% 55.0%
2 Toyota FJ Cruiser 67.0% 50.0%
3 Toyota Tacoma 64.0% 49.0%
4 Hyundai Tucson 64.3% 45.3%
5 Audi Q7 63.3% 44.3%
6 Infiniti FX 58.0% 44.0%
7 Toyota Camry 60.3% 43.5%
8 Lexus RX 64.0% 43.0%
9 Nissan Frontier 56.2% 42.8%
10 Chevrolet Camaro 57.0% 42.2%

H/U - pioneer
Amps - Sundown SCV3000, jl audio 300/4
Subs - Soundqubed 12" 4.8cu.ft net 34hz tune
Mids/High - mids= Stereo Integrity tm65MKII tweets=Tang Band 28-847SD
Power - 4 runs - 1/0 Audio Technix wire, Mechman 240A., 55ah bat upfront 50ah bat in trunk

Darkmage1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013   #16 (permalink)
140 dB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmage1991 View Post
i would take a toyota over a honda any day of the week. they hold there value the best and are easily one of the most reliable vehicles aver produced

Kelley Blue Book Value Leaders 2012
Rank Model 36 months 60 months
1 Jeep Wrangler 68.0% 55.0%
2 Toyota FJ Cruiser 67.0% 50.0%
3 Toyota Tacoma 64.0% 49.0%
4 Hyundai Tucson 64.3% 45.3%
5 Audi Q7 63.3% 44.3%
6 Infiniti FX 58.0% 44.0%
7 Toyota Camry 60.3% 43.5%
8 Lexus RX 64.0% 43.0%
9 Nissan Frontier 56.2% 42.8%
10 Chevrolet Camaro 57.0% 42.2%
That has to be wrong, the Camaro and the Tuscon are on there...
Old 05-14-2013   #17 (permalink)
160 dB

Darkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossibleDarkmage1991 has the highest rating we can give - To make it this far is  nearly impossible

camaros hold there value pretty well. not great but well. as for the tuscon yea that seems out of place but eh idk

H/U - pioneer
Amps - Sundown SCV3000, jl audio 300/4
Subs - Soundqubed 12" 4.8cu.ft net 34hz tune
Mids/High - mids= Stereo Integrity tm65MKII tweets=Tang Band 28-847SD
Power - 4 runs - 1/0 Audio Technix wire, Mechman 240A., 55ah bat upfront 50ah bat in trunk

Darkmage1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013   #18 (permalink)
140 dB

snow0707 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!snow0707 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!snow0707 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!snow0707 has a awesome reputation - Members love this one!

I dont buy a car for resale value.. I buy a car cuz I like it.....but....me now. i (me) would buy a 1972 dodge dart. and make payments.. 200 month in the car..to upgrade it..
.. [email protected] new cars. that last 70k...my newest car is 08... but I q
will get rid of it for a pre 80's

well more like pre 75.. technology we have now..with solid cars.

Last edited by snow0707; 05-16-2013 at 11:59 PM.
snow0707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Realm of Excursion » Lounge » Vehicle Discussion / Performance / Modification